ea6500 v1 running latest: 43502

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
inetquestion
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 20:19    Post subject: ea6500 v1 running latest: 43502 Reply with quote
After several attempts to TFTP this version, which I wasn't able to do, ended up going back to version 29495. From there used web flash working back up to 43502. Seems ok after being up a few hours...

Saw mentions the last stable release for this router was ~ 33000. Is there a specific reason, or is that the last time someone tried to go higher?

-Inet
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
We can't force people to report in the build threads, which they should do to report success or issues. The EA series seems to have a quirky thing about updating, or so I have gathered.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
inetquestion
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
definitely has quirks...

occasionally requires TFTP and restore from backup nvram file. Assume it craps out upon reboot after a power outage...
otyg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not working for me, I just tried 43502 on my ea6500 v1 and it bootloops.

please double check it's actually running 43502 and just didn't boot to a secondary ddwrt version (due to failed booing)
inetquestion
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, was definitely running that version. However, it turned out not to be stable. A day later it was rebooted and went into a boot loop. took a while to get it working again on an older version.

What is the latest version you've found to be stable? I went all the way back to 35531
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I passed along the bootloop report 3 days ago. I haven't got a specific response on it as it was along with other reporting. Was the bootloop with an nvram reset after flash or no? What is the nvram usage? Are you using the script to keep the nvram usage down? I'm thinking this has to do with the 32k nvram limit bug with the EA-series routers. A serial log would probably help troubleshoot the issue(s).

----------------------
inetquestion
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Willing to revert to that version again and run the script and gather whatever info you need... Where can I obtain the script?

By serial log, do you mean the syslog messages?
otyg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I passed along the bootloop report 3 days ago. I haven't got a specific response on it as it was along with other reporting. Was the bootloop with an nvram reset after flash or no? What is the nvram usage? Are you using the script to keep the nvram usage down? I'm thinking this has to do with the 32k nvram limit bug with the EA-series routers. A serial log would probably help troubleshoot the issue(s).

I posted a serial log the other day in the "New Build - 06-19-2020-r43471" thread, I think it got overlooked though, here is the link, I let it bootloop a few times so all the necessary info should be in there.

https://pastebin.com/BNfMzRsV

I can provide a log for newer revisions but I think it will be the same error, I'm not sure if the v1 was effected by the nvram bug or if it was the v2, I think the patch limited the ram on both versions though.

Edit:
just tried r43516 and it booted ok now,
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
otyg wrote:

I posted a serial log the other day in the "New Build - 06-19-2020-r43471" thread, I think it got overlooked though, here is the link, I let it bootloop a few times so all the necessary info should be in there.

I can provide a log for newer revisions but I think it will be the same error, I'm not sure if the v1 was effected by the nvram bug or if it was the v2, I think the patch limited the ram on both versions though.

Edit:

I'll pass the linked log on.

inetquestion wrote:
Willing to revert to that version again and run the script and gather whatever info you need... Where can I obtain the script?

By serial log, do you mean the syslog messages?

No, I mean you connect a serial USB-UART TTL adapter cable to your router and have putty up and logging the serial console output.

This should be in your startup script to mitigate the 32k nvram bug:
Code:
for line in `nvram show | grep =$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var; done

----------------------
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
otyg wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:

Edit:

these errors are looking very strangw. the first log shows it crashes somewhere serial related. the second boot shows memory allocation error related (dram broken?) the third attempt looked like the original firmware which did not boot too

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
otyg wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:

Edit:

these errors are looking very strangw. the first log shows it crashes somewhere serial related. the second boot shows memory allocation error related (dram broken?) the third attempt looked like the original firmware which did not boot too

Yeah strange, my router doesn't go back to stock firmware on failed boots for some reason, it used to when it was newer so dunno if I did something to stop it or if it just broke by itself, it used to be annoying though.

for some reason r43516 is booting ok so hopefully whatever the issue was is fixed, I will see on the next update Smile
inetquestion
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:

No, I mean you connect a serial USB-UART TTL adapter cable to your router and have putty up and logging the serial console output.

This should be in your startup script to mitigate the 32k nvram bug:
Code:
for line in `nvram show | grep =$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var; done

Was able to run the script, but don't have the cable for the other test. Unless I'm reading this wrong, It was close to hitting the ceiling...?

Before/After:
size: 33029 bytes (229115 left)
size: 25135 bytes (237009 left)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep, looks like it.

----------------------
otyg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi r43652 is boot looping again, here is the serial log from unplugged state and a few boot loops.

Note nvram rest did not help.

Edit:
r43718 is working again Very Happy

r43516-ddwrtlog.txt
 Description:
previous working version..

Download
 Filename:  r43516-ddwrtlog.txt
 Filesize:  18.56 KB
 Downloaded:  150 Time(s)

r43652-ddwrtlog.txt
 Description:
bootloop

Download
 Filename:  r43652-ddwrtlog.txt
 Filesize:  34.55 KB
 Downloaded:  156 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: