Manual: Howto configure DDNS for use with spdns.de

Goto page 1, 2  Next
nelle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 21:54    Post subject: Manual: Howto configure DDNS for use with spdns.de Reply with quote
I am using

* Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H
    * DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/24/13) std (SVN revision 22118)

The wiki of the provider tells that the update URL is:
Code:
www.spdns.de/nic/update?hostname=<domain>&myip=<ipaddr>
(refer to: SPDNS FAQ - Securepoint Wiki, what is the update URL? [unfortunately in german])

These are the settings to make things work after you selected the DDNS tab.

- DDNS Service: Custom
    - DYNDNS Server: www.spdns.de
    - Username: <your user name>
    - Password: <your password>
    - Hostname: <your hostname that you registered>
    - URL: /nic/update?myip=192.168.0.1&hostname=
    - Additional DDNS Options: <leave blank>
    - Do not use external ip check: Yes

Note, that the sequence of the parameters myip and hostname is reversed. I found that inadyn always appends the hostname at the end of the URL.

You may ask yourself: why the hell should I use a private ip address instead of the public ip address which has been assigned by the internet provider?

The answer is quite easy. If the update script of spdns detects a private ip address it will be using the public ip address assigned by the provider. Any ip address of the subnets 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/20 and 192.168.0.0/16 will work (refer to: SPDNS FAQ - Securepoint Wiki, what parameters can be entered within the update URL? [also in german]).

I have been looking for a way to let inadyn know where to insert the detected public ip address into the URL. A kind of parameterised URL. But I failed. Fortunately spdns implemented the above mentioned behaviour.

At the time of writing SPDNS.DE provides the following domains:

* firewall-gateway.com
    * firewall-gateway.de
    * firewall-gateway.net
    * my-firewall.org
    * myfirewall.org
    * spdns.de
    * spdns.eu
    * spdns.org

Please apologise my poor english.

nelle
Sponsor
leejor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 19:49    Post subject: Using spdns.de DDNS with Ver 24 DD-WRT Reply with quote
Now that D-Link is ending their "free' DDNS service on July 1st, I have been looking for a replacement and settled on SPDNS.de

Created the account, but having issues getting it to work on DD-WRT Ver 24, even after following these instructions. I get Error validating DYNDNS svr answer. Check usr,pass,hostname!, and then I eventually get blacklisted from their site. I'm obviously going to the correct place.

The new DYNDNS server name, going by their website, is update.spdns.de or so it seems.

Their site is almost all German, which doesn't help, but what gets confusing is that the User Name seems to change between the name you use to log into their site, and the hostname you selected.

They show a number of device configurations here...

https://wiki.securepoint.de/SPDyn/Hostverwenden

...and things don't seem to be consistent.

Has anyone else got DD-WRT Ver 24 DDNS working with them, in the last 7 years?

Thanks.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should probably consider upgrading to a newer version of DD-WRT.

Where Do I Download Firmware?

Firmware FAQ

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
leejor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I had an issue I would consider upgrading, and will put the most recent version available for my router, into an unused router, to see what has changed.

I have been using the same version, with zero problems, for many years, on four D-link DIR-615s (not using the Wifi portion). I don't upgrade (any device)simply because there is a more recent version, there has to be a compelling reason to do so.

I'm not certain that spdns.de DDNS is not working because of the version I'm using. I think it's a matter of getting the correct "things" into the correct "places".
leejor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 20:43    Post subject: Got it working Reply with quote
OK, this is what I did to get it working.

I did upgrade the firmware on one router, but it made no difference. It is nice that it now identifies the router, when creating a backup file, but didn't see anything else that I really needed in the update.

Anyway...

This is what I used on DD-WRT V 3.0, and it works

DDNS Service: Custom

DYNDNS Server: update.spdyn.de

Username: yourhostname (the one you created on the site)i.e...mycamera.spdns.org

Password: abcd-efgh-ijkl (that is the token they give you.

Hostname: yourhostname(same as Username)

URL: http://update.spdyn.de/nic/update?hostname=yourhostname&myip=192.168.1.1&user=yourhostname&pass=abcd-efgh-jklm

The IP is just a local IP, I don't think it matters what local IP you use.

Additional DDNS Options is left blank.

Use external IP check = Yes

Force Update Interval 7 (this is up to you, and what they will accept)

You can actually take the URL line, paste it into your browser and it will update your IP, you will get good and your public IP, or nochg and the public IP.

Last edited by leejor on Thu Jun 25, 2020 19:07; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
You did need to upgrade to get it to work. The reason being the patches to INADYN and the webUI, etc. to make it work right, but you wouldn't have known this if you were not following the firmware development and back-tracking these issues. Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

----------------------
leejor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 21:25    Post subject: Does work on V24 Reply with quote
Actually... I just tried exactly the same settings, on the same model router D-Link DIR-615_C1 running V24 SP2, (different public IP, spdns.de account), and it updated the IP correctly. So it seems, it will work on an older version
boochi99
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried Duck DNS? It is free and requires you do nothing after setting it up.
leejor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm happy now with spdns.de as they allow up to 5 "devices" under one account. Unfortunately, they are restricting new accounts after July 1st 2020.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, you basically followed the how-to in the OP and it worked and your first post was basically "I didn't understand"? I guess I may have been mistaken as far as upgrading, but there were known issues that were fixed since your antique build, and security and bugfixes are a good thing.

----------------------
leejor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 18:40    Post subject: DD-WRT with spdns.de DDNS Reply with quote
Actually, a friend was also trying to spdns working on a D-Link router with it's original firmware, and had been experimenting with the URL string. He discovered that if you sent it, alone, from a browser, and the format and information was correct, you'd get a proper response.

All the posts I had come across showed variations of the URL string with fewer "fields", than what I ended up using. It seemed to be assumed that the information in the fields above the URL line, would have alone, done the trick.

As far as the updated firmware goes...it's OK, doesn't give me anything new other than the backup file name, and, as long as it doesn't cause other issue, I'll leave it in place. It has been around for a year, so if there were issues, I'm sure they would have shown up by now, in any case.

As I said, as a rule, if something is working,with no problems, and unless there is some security issue, I will leave it alone.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you flashed 40559, that is completely on you. The router database is not updated and the disclaimer was added to the landing page for this very reason. Also, the red link I posted earlier specifically says NOT to use the database for "recommended builds".

https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/ wrote:

DISCLAIMER
This database may not have up-to-date information and may even recommend a build which might cause issues. As such, you should check the device specific forum (Broadcom, Atheros, MediaTek, etc.) first before flashing any build recommended in this database. There you will find build specific topics that discuss any issues with a particular build/release. For more up-to-date firmware files, please visit the firmware faq.

YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN FRIENDLY AND FAIR NOTICE

----------------------
leejor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
What do you mean "that is on you" this is the first I'm hearing that there is some sort of issue with that load.. I simply went to the DD-WRT router Database from Google, put in my router model, and downloaded the link provided.
Maybe DD-WRT needs to correct this???
Why bother having the Router Database with firmware link?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
That disclaimer was added after numerous new users posted having issues with that build. If you disregarded the disclaimer on the landing page, did not look in the forum and research the build threads, did not read the firmware faq wiki, that is on you. It is not on the shoulders of any of the forum members, moderators, site admins, or the developer(s). Updating that database isn't a simple point and click process. Shooting the messenger with an already well-worn complaint long before I got here doesn't fix it.

----------------------
leejor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
How many people actually read those disclaimers..probably the came percentage that read all of the "fine print" when installing software, or Apps.

I would not have even considered upgrading if you hadn't mentioned it. Thanks for that. I still have the old 14896 build and will reload if I experience any issues. I also took backups and have several spare routers of the same make/model, on hand.

I looked through links in the forum. It does not make it easy (huge understatement), to find the correct, and "safe" firmware for a specific router.

I'm surprised that they just don't remove the firmware download links from the Router Database. Just say..."yeah, there is something available . but you will have to do a search for it, and it may brick your router"

It seems that there is really no point to the Router database if you can't trust the loads, and it will save someone a lot of work not having to do any updates.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: