[Solved] ASUS RT-N66U repeater bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
yetiboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:55    Post subject: [Solved] ASUS RT-N66U repeater bridge Reply with quote
I'm trying to set up an ASUS RT-N66U as a repeater bridge - although realistically I need the ethernet connections more than the wifi. Every attempt so far has failed - either I end up not being able to connect to the N66U at all even if I'm hardwired and I need to reset, or I end up with no connectivity through it depending on which of the seemingly dozens of methods I've tried (some on here, some from other sites).

Setup:

Modem is a Bell Home Hub 3000 acting as DHCP server and broadcasting wifi 2.4 and 5Ghz.

ASUS RT-AC66U with stock ASUS firmware hard connected and set to AP mode. I've tried this with the same SSIDs as the modem and with different SSIDs, same results.

ASUS RT-N66U: dd-wrt.v24-41813_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx firmware. In addition to other methods, I followed the guide in the wiki (https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge) for setting it as a repeater bridge. The N66U is in a separate part of the home, needs to be wirelessly connected to the AP but still on the same subnet so that I can move files back and forth between all connected devices in the home.

I've read the peacock thread as carefully as I can. I've seen references back to it (specifically in the thread below) that makes me question just how up to date it actually is despite it saying that it's up to date in the intro to it.

I used one of the firmware versions suggested by blkt in this thread (individual posts apparently don't have a link, it's the post from March 30, 2020): https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=86437&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=2520

I've read through the forum as much as I can without my head exploding at this point - I've done what I can to understand as much as I can, but the sheer volume of knowledge on this forum is overwhelming.

I think I've provided everything I need to as far as information, and hopefully I've done enough due diligence to show that I've tried to get this figured out on my own before posting for help. Hopefully someone can give me a hand, and I'm happy to provide whatever info I'm missing.

Last edited by yetiboy on Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:42; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
yetiboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Almost 48 hours since I posted, bumping in the hopes that my post has enough info and it just needs more people to see it.
yetiboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Decided to try to battle this again on my own, making one change to what the guides were telling me - I didn't change from Advanced Routing from Gateway to Router. And it's working. Unbelievable.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Step 9 from the wiki: (https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge)
Quote:
Go to the (Setup ->) Advanced Routing tab: Change the Mode to Router
Save and then APPLY settings: allow router to reboot

I have a feeling you may have used an older guide or something or overlooked that step.

Glad you got it sorted out, though!

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: