[SOLVED] Wifi AC mode reverts to Legacy mode w/security on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
pigtail
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 0:18    Post subject: [SOLVED] Wifi AC mode reverts to Legacy mode w/security on Reply with quote
I wouldn't noticed it until I scanned my neighborhood from my macOS Wireless Diagnostics tool. Out of default, 2G was in b/g/n and 5G was in ac without security. But they changed to legacy after I simply enabled WPA2.

Router: D-Link DIR-869 A1
Build: 2020-06-17-r43443 (under dlink-dir869 folder)

Pic 1: Top two lines are this device from the default.

Pic 2: By simply enable the WPA2. Nothing else. The N mode and AC mode were gone.

Pic 3: This is what I did on the settings.

I tried many searches but nothing matched. Maybe my google search ability is really rusty. (What should be the right keywords?) I also played many tricks from QCA WiFi Wiki. Eventually I went back to the very beginning. Do factory default and hit the blocker immediately on the next step, which is enable WPA2 without changing SSID.

The way I performed factory default was thru web GUI, not command line.

Please let me know what I'm missing. Thanks.
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is Status->Wireless saying?

It lists the connected clients.
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 18:45    Post subject: Re: AC mode turned back to legacy after WiFi security is ena Reply with quote
pigtail wrote:
I wouldn't noticed it until I scanned my neighborhood from my macOS Wireless Diagnostics tool. Out of default, 2G was in b/g/n and 5G was in ac without security. But they changed to legacy after I simply enabled WPA2.

If you are able to connect with a, your WPA2 Settings are broken (maybe using TKIP instead of AES). Did you upgrade from a much older previous build, without resetting ?

The screenshot shows WPA2, but does not show if its using TKIP or AES. On my router there is a choice for that on WPA2 Personal for CCMP-128 (AES) or TKIP.
I think the AES is mandatory for N/AC. Without AES its using fallback to g / a if I remeber it correctly.

A broken WPA2 AES on the router will change that on all n,ac clients. Are u shure its broken on all clients?

You may reset your settings and if it does not work you should go back to older build. Beyond r41418 there was support for WPA3 added, maybe something got broken.

I don't own this router but I assume the newer builds are not good for really old hardware (a lot of WLAN problems with these devices), was not able to find a success post for your device on a newer build.
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 20:03    Post subject: Older builds Reply with quote
I second the suggestion to reset to factory defaults (from the DD-WRT GUI) and then input in all settings manually. DO NOT RESTORE A SAVED BACKUP file.

AS for upgrading an older device. My opinion differs. I again do not own that particular router but except for the odd bad build (ex: r33595) I always upgrade all of my routers. Usually I don't see a change in wireless connection speed, etc. The odd time I may see it drop or jump up slightly.

By all means, if you believe that running older software on the router will benefit it in some way, keep going. I for one, would rather have bugs fixed and security holes plugged.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 15:34    Post subject: Re: Older builds Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:
AS for upgrading an older device. My opinion differs...I always upgrade all of my routers. Usually I don't see a change in wireless connection speed, etc. The odd time I may see it drop or jump up slightly.

I think it depends on the hardware. Owners of devices like R7800 are constantly testing new betas, so there are a lot of proven good beta builds to choose. Not true for owners of low end (old chip based) hardware.
A proven good build for such device is in most cases "a little bit" older, as it is not really maintained by the developers ...
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can't maintain anything if people are NOT reporting in the build threads, which is the main cache of information being polled for issues to fix.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 20:20    Post subject: Recommended Builds Reply with quote
I would therefore like to see you or someone else recommend a build for all of my "Older" routers (Not my r7800). I can prove that for my functions the latest builds are best. My older routers are only used as WDS Stations.

So, if someone using it as a Gateway router recommends an older build, fine. But realize that most of these older routers are not being used as main Gateways now. If you expect an older router, non-dual core to handle a VPN connection at 100MB/s, there is something wrong with your expectations, not the router or its firmware. Same goes for decent SAMBA speed, or rule heavy QoS or PBR.

You do know that Brainslayer is still backporting kernel and driver patches for older devices, right? (All the way back to Linksys WRT54G, circa 2006). Read the SVN: https://svn.dd-wrt.com/

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also have noticed that there is hints in initial source commit to SVN that a lot was copied from SveaSoft. You should probably un-muck yourself before assuming things. If you're not updating your firmware and testing newer builds and reporting, then you are part of the problem I previously mentioned. Maybe contribute to the sticky about recommended builds for low-bang hardware in this forum that servicetech started?

----------------------
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 21:04    Post subject: Recommended Builds Reply with quote
@kernel-panic69

I did not know about a recommended build thread sticky, until now.

I update to nearly every new build, unless it is reported bad by the initial 3 or so posts (not usually any of my routers). I post in new build threads. Check most of the recent new build threads and you will find my post is usually on the first page.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't get to report in any build threads, usually, because someone's gotta deal with the nonsense Razz Twisted Evil I was just saying, don't expect me to just shit out information that I would have to dig through all the cesspool device threads and build threads to find, not happening Cool Wink

----------------------
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 21:20    Post subject: Recommended Builds Reply with quote
@kernel-panic69

I don't expect you to. I am just trying to point out that it is not unreasonable for the latest build to work on an ancient device. Now, will the latest build possibly have bugs on your old device? YES, it may. Report them in a New Build thread.

I even have a Linksys WRT54G2 that I use as a simple switch for debricking purposes. I update it before I use it (which is rarely).

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
A long-standing issue with flashing Fonera devices was recently fixed, if you missed that paper trail in the forum. Apparently, it had been an issue since a 17xxx release. This is why I encourage folks to report and give as much information as possible to help resolve the issue. I don't open tickets for a lot of the middle-person stuff I do IRT this, though. In fact, I've been trying to close a lot of the old tickets that are invalid, fixed, useless, and otherwise. Maybe eventually some of the feature requests and such can finally get some love... Cool Wink Laughing

Also, I appreciate YOUR efforts here, just to clarify. I probably do more than I should sometimes, and maybe that scares people off from posting Confused Embarassed Razz Twisted Evil

----------------------
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
@pigtail, to re-focus on your OP questions, keep in mind that wireless settings are tricky and need to be done in a certain order on basic page first, then perhaps the security settings will work properly, or should. If not, definitely report this!
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
It's not broken, it's by design.

1) set the Channel Width and Save.
2) Set the Extension Channel and save
3) The channel list will now show legal channels with the settings 1-2. Select channel and apply.

You shouldn't use auto channel and "Mixed" or "*-Only*, usually. Our apologies for straying off topic and not helping you with your situation EmbarassedEmbarassed

----------------------
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 23:26    Post subject: Apologies Reply with quote
I second this solution. I wanted to apologize for misunderstanding your initial question.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
@pigtail, to re-focus on your OP questions, keep in mind that wireless settings are tricky and need to be done in a certain order on basic page first, then perhaps the security settings will work properly, or should. If not, definitely report this!
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
It's not broken, it's by design.

1) set the Channel Width and Save.
2) Set the Extension Channel and save
3) The channel list will now show legal channels with the settings 1-2. Select channel and apply.

You shouldn't use auto channel and "Mixed" or "*-Only*, usually. Our apologies for straying off topic and not helping you with your situation EmbarassedEmbarassed

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
pigtail
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:46    Post subject: Re: Apologies Reply with quote
Ok. This is so embarrassing and ruins my reputation even there's none. Turns out @servicetech on the 3rd floor is right. I forgot to set "WPA Algorithms." Once I put checkmarks on AES, 2G and 5G are scanned with N and AC mode.

To verify my stupidity, I stay on the same version and keep repeating you guys' suggestions. Eventually setting bandwidth and channel doesn't solve my case. It has to select the "WPA Algorithms" for my case to work.

Embarassed This isn't my first day to play with dd-wrt... How could I make this mistake! Thank you guys.

(@kernel-panic69, this is why I didn't report my issue in build threads. I'm not sure I'm qualified to report issues. ) Embarassed
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: