Wireless speed is 100 mbps slower than directly connected

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
raptureveteran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 19:39    Post subject: Wireless speed is 100 mbps slower than directly connected Reply with quote
Screens of configuration at the botttom

Router info:

Router model: Netgear WNDR3700 V4
Firmware version: DD-WRT v3.0-r40559 std (08/06/19)
Kernel version: Linux 3.18.140 #49356 Tue Aug 6 03:48:00 +04 2019 mips
CPU model: Atheros AR9344 ver 1 rev 1.2 (0x2122)

I have a linux server that runs my media hardware that is directly connected to the router, I'm supposed to get 200 down from Comcast, and I get 175 directly connected from that Linux box, but I can't surpass 25 down when I'm connected wirelessly to the router via PC or mobile device. So the device that runs the speed test doesn't matter, wife and I have brand new windows laptops, still can't beat 25. Mobile? 25 down. I've followed the QCA wireless settings here (https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Atheros/ath_wireless_settings#Channel_Width), I've toggled with various settings and numbers, the channel I've moved around, again, 25 down is the max I can get on any speed test. I have not dabbled with the 5 ghz settings yet, only 2.4.

Screens:

Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please consider upgrading:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324809

Where Do I Download Firmware?

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/

Atheros Wireless Settings

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324014

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use channel 1, 6 or 11, not 5
The channels are overlapping. Any station on 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8 will interfere with 5.
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 13:23    Post subject: Re: Wireless speed is 100 mbps slower than directly connecte Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Use channel 1, 6 or 11

Prefer these 2.4G channels to start...

If you need some tool to decide, I use old version of inSSID that shows a link score on (my) SSID (higher is better), I started with with 20Mhz fixed in the router setting moved from lowest to highest channel marked channels with higher scores (1, 9 and 13 for my domain, so I selected 9 + 13 for 40Mhz devices) as best. I used the location with the slowest/weakest WLAN reception, but you may prefer a different one (game pc, streaming TV ....)

Additional :

Try "Channel Width" WIDE HT40. With WIDE setting 40Mhz and 20Mhz clients connect on my router, MIXED did not do the job. Check pads and mobile phones and other devices with integrated WLAN like TV/streaming box that they are able to connect, on failure use the previous setting

Use wireless network mode "NG-Mixed" and check

"Short GI" enabled (for speed)*
"Short Preamble" enabled (for speed)
"WMM support" enabled (for speed)
*enable if you use N and AC clients only, B/G only clients without N support may break/crash your WLAN and need that disabled

Check that you have correct security setting for N and AC support (WPA2 CCMP 128 bit AES)

If you have (older) Intel WLAN on laptop check the WLAN adapter settings :
1. 811.n channel width for 2.4G Band : auto (default 20Mhz)
-> same for 5G : auto
2. Fat channel intolerant : disable (default disable)
D000D
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having similar slow wireless speed problems with DD-WRT (Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r43334 std 06/04/20) on my Netgear WNDR3700 V1 router.

I've followed the suggestions here and at https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324014. I am only getting between 15 and 25 Mbps on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro laptop which usually connects to the 2.4GHz band.

Meanwhile my desktop PC that is hardwired (via ethernet) to my router routinely gets 225 Mbps.

Not sure where the problem lies. Is there any way to determine if this is a problem with the router, with DD-WRT, or with my wireless card (Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260) in my laptop?
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
D000D wrote:

Not sure where the problem lies. Is there any way to determine if this is a problem with the router, with DD-WRT, or with my wireless card (Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260) in my laptop?

Manufacturer/Model/version of your device ? For older hardware (WLAN chips) the newest builds could be problematic. It depends on the CPU/WLAN main chip used...

post a screenshot from your 2.4G WLAN settings.

don't use auto channel, use n/g mixed and wide 40Mhz

1. You need to use correct security setting :
WPA2 (Personal) CCMP-128 AES
2. Short GI" enabled for speed for N (144/150+ Mbit) clients
3. "Short Preamble" enabled (for all clients except very old b 11 Mbit hardware)
4. "WMM support" enabled
5. "Noise Immunity" disabled (for compatibility with non Atheros/Qualcomm WLAN clients)
6. "Airtime Fairness" disabled (for weak/bad hardware)
7. Your Intel WLAN card settings need "Channel Width for 2.4G "auto" and "Fat Channel Intolerant" disabled
8. Check with one WLAN client and add one by one and check if the WLAN speed degrades by adding a specific client. One client is able to slowdown your WLAN, if the signal is bad, sending and receiving takes more time blocking the other clients, or generating a lot of retransmissions due to bad connection.
D000D
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
servicetech wrote:
D000D wrote:

Manufacturer/Model/version of your device ? For older hardware (WLAN chips) the newest builds could be problematic. It depends on the CPU/WLAN main chip used...

post a screenshot from your 2.4G WLAN settings.

don't use auto channel, use n/g mixed and wide 40Mhz

1. You need to use correct security setting :
WPA2 (Personal) CCMP-128 AES
2. Short GI" enabled for speed for N (144/150+ Mbit) clients
3. "Short Preamble" enabled (for all clients except very old b 11 Mbit hardware)
4. "WMM support" enabled
5. "Noise Immunity" disabled (for compatibility with non Atheros/Qualcomm WLAN clients)
6. "Airtime Fairness" disabled (for weak/bad hardware)
7. Your Intel WLAN card settings need "Channel Width for 2.4G "auto" and "Fat Channel Intolerant" disabled
8. Check with one WLAN client and add one by one and check if the WLAN speed degrades by adding a specific client. One client is able to slowdown your WLAN, if the signal is bad, sending and receiving takes more time blocking the other clients, or generating a lot of retransmissions due to bad connection.

Thank for the suggestions. I'll give them a try in a day or so (I'm swamped at the moment). My router is a Netgear WNDR3700 V1. I've attached a screenshot of my current wireless settings.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your settings are following my best settings guide...I would take a look at the Status>Wireless Tab of the gui and see what the clients are connecting at. 2.4ghz is a total crapshoot for HT40 mode on clients. Nearly 95% of all phones and tablets will never allow HT40 mode if they detect neighboring wifi-which is nearly everywhere unless you live on a farm or far far away from neighbors.

This means your speed will be capped to 144.4mbps (MAX THEORETICAL). In real life you can expect between 1/3 and 1/2 of that speed under best possible conditions. So if you get 48-72mbps using 2.4ghz, you're maxxed out and won't get anything better no matter what you do...the black magic of wifi won't go much faster than that on HT20 from the client end. Don't forget to factor in distance away from the router (signal strength) and Viola...25mbps is the best you're getting... I would test 2-4 meters away from the router to see what the maximum speed is...and realize it'll be half that elsewhere in your house/apt.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
gin-n-tonic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
For reference, here is the real-life performance I see using a pair of WNDR3700v4 connected with WDS. There is nothing particularly exotic in my layout as you can see from the fantastic ASCII art below.

I have followed the set-up suggestions the others have already mentioned (and I thank them for the guides). And I live in a moderately dense area of Los Angeles so these speeds should be obtainable in most environments.

Connected to the remote WAP, I get a 45 Mbit/s download speed using a laptop. My old iPhone can only manage 15 Mbit/s.

Code:
ISP
 |
 |  (200 Mbps)
 |
Modem (ISP-supplied router in bridge mode)
 |
 |  (wired 1G)
 |
WNDR3700v4 r43443 (WDS-AP): QoS (HFSC+PIE), AdBlock via Hosts, Wireguard...   
 |       \
 |        \ (wired 1G)
 |         \
 |         desktop: download speedtest 120 Mbps
 |
 | WDS on 5.0Ghz, NA-mixed, Wide HT40, chnl 157+153, 300 Mbit/s, quality 99%
 |
 |
WNDR3700v4 r43443 (WDS-Station)
 |       \
 |        \ (wired 1G)
 |         \
 |         laptop: download speedtest 60 Mbps
 |
 | WAP on 2.4Ghz, NG-mixed, Full 20, chnl 3(!), 144 Mbit/s, quality 80%
 |
 |
Laptop: download speedtest 45 Mbps
iPhone: download speedtest 15 Mbps

The observant may question why I use 2.4 Ghz channel 3 which is counter to all normal advice. Channel surveys consistently show the best quality on this frequency. Typical quality measurements are: chnl 1 50, chnl 6 60, chnl 11 45. Of course, YMMV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: