noob question regarding FW versions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
zigzog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:48    Post subject: noob question regarding FW versions Reply with quote
Just discovering and trying ddwrt for the first time. I notice in the Peacock thread, that all the version references recommend installing 10 year old versions. And references to vendor product versions are quite old as well.

Please clarify and confirm that the old versions are still valid for the first flash of ddwrt, even on newer gear? And if successful, then you would look at newer versions?

I saw statements that newer isn't always better, I get that, but also wanted confirmation that in theory newer versions have security and bug fixes that are more recent?

Thanks,
zz
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, without knowing what router you're going to be working with, I have no idea how to answer that other than to say that the Peacock thread is mainly a good historical resource for older hardware and a few other things (like not 30-30-30'ing EA series Linksys routers). So, you're asking (a) really loaded question(s)...
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
zigzog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fair comment. I am working with Asus RT-AC68U. I appreciate the clarification that the Peacock thread is more for historical resource. So though it states that regardless of post date, the content is updated regularly, there is other more up to date information available.
In the end I am just looking for a secure, stable version. Stable in the usage sense and not necessarily in the development sense. So maybe a well used and reviewed beta?

Thanks,
Zig Smile
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
There was a point at which the thread was kept up, I s'pose. I know I have made a couple of edits recently to broken links in it. Your best bet is to look in the build release threads on what people are reporting on your specific router. The magic voodoo to get the forum search function to play nice can be tricky, same with Google or your web search engine of choice. These kinds of questions are a crap shoot in the forum. All depends on configuration and intent of use of features and functions.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
MysticGold04
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have several Asus RT-AC68U routers that I use and test different versions of firmware on. For starters, do NOT use the recommended version from the wiki which is r40559. I personally believe that r43266 (05/27/20) is a good starting point. I've used this build in several different configurations on the AC-68U since it was released...
ASUS RT-AC68U Gateway/AP r54604
Edgerouter-4, v2.0.9-hotfix7
zigzog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks both for the feedback. Will review the procedures again and look at the suggested build.

zz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: