ESP8266 connection problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
raywan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:57    Post subject: ESP8266 connection problem Reply with quote
I upgraded my wireless router from Netgear R6250 to WRT32x 2 months ago. Before i used R6250 with ESP8266. I have no connection problem with DDWRT in all previous builds. After i upgraded to WRT32x, i experience that WRT32X in all builds no matter the most updated build.The ESP8266 cannot make a http connection with my web browser even ping cannot established. IN ddwrt wireless page, i can see the ESP8266 connected in LEGACY mode with 1M TX/RX connection. I searched ddwrt forum, someone said disable WMM support may connect to ESP8266 but not always work. In recent build (r43381) disable WMM support works with ESP8266 connection.
I have a question about ESP8266 connection. Is there any command or future upgrade can solve this problem?
Sponsor
Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately our Linksys (Marvel chipset driven) devices are orphaned.

Marvell ceased the support for our devices at least two years ago, have a look at the official repo:
https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/

Somewhere down in the issue tracker, a fired employee advices to not await any updates anymore.

To make things even worse, Marvell sold its chipset division to NXP.
Nobody knows if NXP even knows about the "open source" driver.

To sum it up, they promised to deliver but never did very well.
You can use your device as a performant router without wifi and add an additional AP for maximum performance, or "live with it" and use the sometimes strange Wifi.
My advice:
If possible return the WRT32x of yours and try to get hold on a much better supported device like Netgear R7800...

Since my WRT1900 acs v2 does its job quite well, I'll stay with it, but if it dies:
Never ever again a Linksys-Marvell product for me.
raywan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also installed WRT1900acs v2 in my office and serve more than 10 devices in office simultaneously. It seems no 10 mins disconnect issues in 2.4/5GHz channel.It works very well and very stable in the last 30 days. Both router are using Marvell chips but i never seen any unstable in wrt1900acs v2. Why?
If i change my wrt32x to openWRT. Does it help for esp8266 connection?
What should i do or just waiting someone release Marvell 88W8964 driver in the future?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Disable the internal radios and use an external access point, or replace with R7800, R9000 or a cheaper older EA8500 and you will not regret or look back.
Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
@raywan:
The chipset in WRT1900ACS v2 is "older" than the one used in your new device.
Therefore the drivers in use are different ones!

WRT1900acs v2 driver in comparison to WRT32xx had more time to mature, at least this is my subjective impression.
But don't be fooled, disconnect issues can also appear with the mature device. It happened two times on 5GHz already with a huawei mediapad m5 of mine.
In this case the router 5G wifi locks up, the wifi LED flickers and wifi itself is only usable again after a reboot.
Currently I have a serial cable connected and await it to happen again (since 4 weeks, no idea how to reprodruce it).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: