Install fresh firmware on 3200ACM LAN works, WIFI does not

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
pa3fat
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
First try to get things working without any wifi security. Those 10 minutes will not be that of a problem. WPA2 Personal is sufficient the sha256 i don't use also.
Just start with basics.

And build up until somethings stops working.

Many changes at once will make finding the issue more complicated.

Just use 8.8.8.8 think this is the google dns server. One thing at the time.
Sponsor
jifffy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
pa3fat wrote:
First try to get things working without any wifi security. Those 10 minutes will not be that of a problem. WPA2 Personal is sufficient the sha256 i don't use also.
Just start with basics.

And build up until somethings stops working.

Many changes at once will make finding the issue more complicated.

Just use 8.8.8.8 think this is the google dns server. One thing at the time.
I tried to use the wifi when it first booted up from a fresh factory setting. It did connect to the macbook but therer was not internet, i did not use a password.
pa3fat
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Normal, you first have to enter the ISP (netwerk provider) details to get this to work. Did you?

Setup-->Basic setup screen.
jifffy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
pa3fat wrote:
Normal, you first have to enter the ISP (netwerk provider) details to get this to work. Did you?

Setup-->Basic setup screen.

I did yet another reset but this one ; I don't know what I did, my wifi connected and started working, I slowly added options tiptoeing as I did it not to lose the connection, I did as one of you guys suggested and dropped the *WPA2 Personal with SHA256* and just using wpa2 personal. I do't know if that was what did it, as I connecetd to the net *naked* without any of these security options in effect. I still can't get pprivoxy to work with my wifi but that's another thread. I want to say that this is solved but with my luck as soon as I do, I will be without net again.
pa3fat
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
If i read correctly "the eagle has landed".

Maybe another advice. Take intermediate backups between changes.
So you can revert to the actual status when it still worked.
This will be possible at least on current firmware versions. In between firmware versions this migth not be fully guaranteed (as far as i know).
jifffy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
pa3fat wrote:
If i read correctly "the eagle has landed".

Maybe another advice. Take intermediate backups between changes.
So you can revert to the actual status when it still worked.
This will be possible at least on current firmware versions. In between firmware versions this migth not be fully guaranteed (as far as i know).

I even hot the cojones to change the SSID in my 2.4 and it works! I am leaving 5 as dd-wrt for now, no need to mess with success. Just pissed that the port forwarding and prvoxy arent working Crying or Very sad
pa3fat
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try Port Range Forwarding giving both start and end ports.
If i remember couldn't get Port Forwarding to work also.

Protocol=both
IP=internal IP
enable=yes

Works as a charm over here.

The other not yet working item isn't ringing any bells. Yet.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
FWIW, most people find the best time server to use is none at all. dd-wrt has internal defaults that work if you leave it blank.

You can set SSIDs how you like. Not going to be an issue if they are all distinct and no more than 32 bytes in length. (Stick to ordinary alphanumeric plus "-" chars using the GUI, but in the CLI you can do nearly anything. I have one with an emoji in it. Older devices can balk at emojis though!) Consider making two of them (two bands) the same to be a separate experiment to try when everything else works. I keep mine all different from each other (all five of them).

Don't load any build without looking through its new-build thread in the Marvell forum, as probably half the posts there will be about the WRT3200ACM. It's very clear that some builds are more solid than others for that particular router. Some are pretty good. Some are disasters. Owners of that router often have wifi issues.

And don't try to debug a mystery like "no internet" without looking at the system log (GUI>Status>Syslog, taking care to scroll down or page when needed). It can take awhile to learn to interpret what you see, but you have to start sometime. Note that these routers can't remember the time from before the boot, so until it connects to a time server, it will think it is Dec 31.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: