Swann security camera cannot reach internet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
tokenclick
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:22    Post subject: Swann security camera cannot reach internet Reply with quote
Swann Camera model: SWADS-450CAM

Router Model: Netgear WNDR4000

DD-WRT Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r42803 mega (03/25/20)

Issue:
Since installing DD-WRT firmware on my router, this camera can no longer reach the internet.

I have tried connecting both via wifi AND ethernet, and neither works, so I don't believe this is a wifi issue - rather a setting on the router which is blocking camera's traffic.

The steps to connect are:
1. enable the wifi access point on the cam
2. connect to that access point via the mobile app on my phone
3. follow the steps to setup the internet connection
4. the last step is to click the wifi point or select 'use ethernet'
5. when I click the last step, it times out - seems like a firewall issue, but disabling the firewall does not help

I have enabled logging on my router, and set the log-level to HIGH, but nothing seems to be produced to /var/log/messages on the router (aside from entries when I log into the router via ssh).

I have been trying to get this to work off and on for weeks, but have had no joy.

Does anyone have any suggestions I might try?
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you made sure the Local WIFI Configuration switch has been turned OFF?

If so he camera should contact the website and if you login to that website with your account you can view the camera

But ask yourself do you really want your camera stream out on the web?
(Yes it is encrypted and 100% safe they claim)

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
tokenclick
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for responding egc.

That would be the next step - the camera reaches out to (presumably) the Swann site on the internet, does some account configuration stuff, then the app on the mobile phone tells me to turn switch the wifi hotspot off on the camera - but I never get that far, because the camera can't seem to reach the internet, it never completes that step.

I'm not sure of the security issues regarding streaming to the web - as far as I know, it is all securely done via the Swann servers - only I have access (in theory) via password login. At least I hope it is. I don't think it would be any different to Ring, or Arlo, or Uniden.

The camera is a number of years old now, and it didn't cost that much originally - I just feel that it's probably something simple blocking access, but I can't figure out what.

The fact that it can't even get out over ethernet should hopefully narrow down the issue somewhat. One of my problems though, is that I simply can't even see what it's trying to do - there's no output from clients connecting etc. in the logs - not sure why.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
What IP address and gateway is set on the device?

Gateway must be the LAN IP of the router.

Do you see the device on Status->LAN on the router?
tokenclick
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Per Yngve Berg,

In answer to your questions:

What IP address and gateway is set on the device?
- The app on the phone doesn't appear to allow for configuration of an IP Address or Gateway - see below for the list of steps to configure - this is pretty much all I can do - note: this process did work prior to installing DD-WRT.

Gateway must be the LAN IP of the router.
- This does not seem to be manually configurable.

Do you see the device on Status->LAN on the router?
- I DO see the device - this is the first positive thing so far. Smile Does this help matters?

Setup process:
1. Plug in camera to power and ethernet
2. Switch camera hotspot on
3. Connect to iSecurity+ app on phone
4. Phone Popup: iSecurity+ has detected that you are connected to a ADS-450. Would you like to set up your camera?
5. Select 'Yes'
6. Phone Popup:
Quote:
Welcome to Camera Setup! This wizard will help you set up your ADS-450 to work with iSecurity+
1. Connect camera to the internet
2. Register with iSecurity+ servers

7. Phone screen shows vision from camera, and a button to 'Connect camera to Internet'
8. Clicking the 'Connect camera to Internet' button leads to a screen which allows you to 'Choose a Wi-Fi Network...' OR click a button that says 'Use Ethernet'
9. Click button that says 'Use Ethernet' (I have had no luck with any Wi-Fi networks)
10. Phone screen shows busy icon while attempting to connect to internet
11. After approx. 45 seconds, connection appears to time out and phone screen returns to screen which allows you to 'Choose a Wi-Fi Network...' or 'Use Ethernet'
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I couldn't find a "New Build" Topic for 42803. This was the period with dnsmasq issues.

Does the cameras need uphp enabled?
Have you enabled it on NAT/QOS->uPNP Tab?

Note: this is a feature that lowers security.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=323787&highlight=r42803
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
It did not turn up in the search.

The "New Build" topics should have been moved to a separate sub-forum. Let users only reply and do not permit new topics. Would make a nice archive without the clutter.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
We are at the mercy of the site admin(s). I can ask. It's a good suggestion that has crossed my mind a few times. I've found using "r42803" and selecting the sub-forum (Broadcom, etc.) and English usually works best for finding them. Only other option is someone makes a sticky and links them all... which would take some time.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
tokenclick
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Per Yngve Berg,

I tried enabling uPNP, however, this did not resolve the issue. I'm almost certain I had this switched off with the factory firmware in any case. For reference, I have turned this off again now.

Do you believe this might be an issue with build 42803?

Would you recommend that I try a later build?

Ta.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: