Noob question on dd-wrt's DHCP and cascading

Slinced
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 0:31    Post subject: Noob question on dd-wrt's DHCP and cascading Reply with quote
I want to cascade my dd-wrt router to my main ISP's router and have certain devices on a certain router. I got everything set up on the dd-wrt router different channel, different IP, etc. but last step kind of confuses me a bit, its where I'm suppose to turn off the DHCP server on the dd-wrt router so the main ISP's router will do all the work. Which DHCP setting am I suppose to turn off if I want to cascade the 2 routers? Both options give me the option to disable. I guess it would be easier to ask, what's the difference between the 2 highlighted in red?

Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
The WAN side is telling your router how it is supposed to get an ip address. Your dd-wrt router has its Wide Area Network (WAN) connected to the Local Area Network (LAN) of the ISP router.

The one at the bottom is the router running a dhcp server for all of the clients that it should have on the LAN.
Slinced
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
The WAN side is telling your router how it is supposed to get an ip address. Your dd-wrt router has its Wide Area Network (WAN) connected to the Local Area Network (LAN) of the ISP router.

The one at the bottom is the router running a dhcp server for all of the clients that it should have on the LAN.

Alright, I think I get it kind of. So just turning off DHCP server at the bottom is enough if I want to cascade my dd-wrt router to my main ISP's router?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
It would really help if you told us how you were linking your routers. Are you configuring DD-WRT as a wired AP? Are you leaving your DD-WRT router in gateway mode for double NAT, connecting WAN of DD to LAN of your ISP router? Or LAN to LAN?
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Slinced
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
It would really help if you told us how you were linking your routers. Are you configuring DD-WRT as a wired AP? Are you leaving your DD-WRT router in gateway mode for double NAT, connecting WAN of DD to LAN of your ISP router? Or LAN to LAN?

Yeah sorry, was saving this for another thread in another section of the forums but I should probably have provided more information here. This is what I'm trying to do.

I want to split my network up a bit and have just my cameras on my secondary router. Just my cameras will be using and making use of the secondary dd-wrt router.
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slinced wrote:

I want to split my network up a bit and have just my cameras on my secondary router. Just my cameras will be using and making use of the secondary dd-wrt router.

Little late here, you get it figured out?

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
SolderAmateur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slinced wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:

Yeah sorry, was saving this for another thread in another section of the forums but I should probably have provided more information here. This is what I'm trying to do.

Sorry for being late fam
Pretty sure what you need is ddwrt on bridge mode but seriously, why would you want that? Using ddwrt as a mere bridge sounds like a waste and you're better off using it as an independent router of its own unless you are worried about problems caused by dual-nat which is only a thing if you're doing peer-to-peer networking or trying to do remote ssh to your ddwrt router - still solvable by port forwarding if you can afford the hassle of setting it up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: