New to WRT32X - have some questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
ian2000t
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 20:08    Post subject: New to WRT32X - have some questions Reply with quote
I'm not new to DD-WRT, I've been using it on some old WRT54Gs and a WDR3600 for years.

I've bought a WRT32X to replace the WDR3600, but I'm finding conflicting info.

After reading things about bad wifi on DD-WRT, I tried OpenWRT. Didn't find the UI as easy, and had a really weird issue with web pages taking ages to load.

But, I've read other things since, saying DD-WRT is better than OpenWRT on this model. But, other conflicting things. Hoping you could answer a few questions:

- What build will give good stable wifi? I've read that 2019 build r40134 is good - https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320527. Also been told any May 2020 builds are good, but no specific build number suggested.

- Where do I download it from? I tried the FTP site ftp.dd-wrt.com, but I can't seem to get a directory listing for 2019 or 2020 in Explorer , Cmd, Chrome, or Filezilla?

- Can I switch back to Stock firmware, from DD-WRT? Post 3 on this link suggests that DD-WRT is great, if you never want to go back to stock?
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=323291
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 20:21    Post subject: Re: New to WRT32X - have some questions Reply with quote
ian2000t wrote:
I'm not new to DD-WRT, I've been using it on some old WRT54Gs and a WDR3600 for years.

After reading things about bad wifi on DD-WRT, I tried OpenWRT. Didn't find the UI as easy, and had a really weird issue with web pages taking ages to load.

But, I've read other things since, saying DD-WRT is better than OpenWRT on this model. But, other conflicting things. Hoping you could answer a few questions:

- What build will give good stable wifi? I've read that 2019 build r40134 is good - https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320527. Also been told any May 2020 builds are good, but no specific build number suggested.

You are still "new". Most of your questions are already discussed in the sticky at the top of THIS forum, for one.

ian2000t wrote:
- Where do I download it from? I tried the FTP site ftp.dd-wrt.com, but I can't seem to get a directory listing for 2019 or 2020 in Explorer , Cmd, Chrome, or Filezilla?

Where Do I Download Firmware?

Firmware FAQ

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/

ian2000t wrote:
- Can I switch back to Stock firmware, from DD-WRT? Post 3 on this link suggests that DD-WRT is great, if you never want to go back to stock?

Can you read? Totally misinterpreted and out of context. I was saying that you could flash the WRT3200ACM firmware to it, but reverting to WRT32X firmware is pretty much a crap shoot or basically impossible outside of serial recovery, and even that is probably a no-go.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 14:34    Post subject: Re: New to WRT32X - have some questions Reply with quote
ian2000t wrote:

Nothing wrong with DD-WRT on the WRT32X. Why would you want to mess with OpenWRT when you do not seem to have a grasp of the basics?

Just follow the sticky (to the letter) for the installation. Forget, backing it out... why would you? I've been running DD-WRT on a number of routers for over a decade and NEVER ONCE had any compulsion to switch to anything else... it just works!

F/W download link in my sig...

Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/
ian2000t
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice guys. I've done lots of reading, but the problem is you're never sure who to trust, as many things you read contradict - i.e. OpenWRT apparently has more stable wifi on WRT32X than DDwrt....

Anyway, I've installed r42015 as I saw lots of posts about this being a good "goto build" for many users. It's a bit older, but thought it was a good start to get things setup right. But, something is really not right. The DDWRT UI is so slow and unreliable for me that I can't actually connect to it long enough to configure anything anymore. It feels like the device might be constantly rebooting while I'm trying to configure it, but I can't be sure.

I followed the guide and used the FW_WRT32X_1.0.666_DDWRT.img to flash from the Linksys FW - so this flashed the partition 2, and then booted into it. I haven't yet installed the "full" build yet, I was going to stick to the minimal one just to prove that Internet/Wifi speeds work well first.

After I first installed it, the DD-WRT UI was VERY slow and unresponsive - meaning I had to click on tabs several times before it would load properly, which is odd, but I managed to configure Wifi and get a device connected to it (same responsiveness on LAN or Wifi). Also managed to turn on SSH and practice checking the current partition, and rebooting to the alternative partition (1 - still linksys FW), and then back again. All fine so far, apart from the slow UI.

Today, I can't even reliably get on the UI. Also many settings seem to have reverted, including SSH being disabled again. So, now I'm stuck with a WRT32X with Linksys FW on part 1, DD-WRT on part 2, however I can't use DD-WRT even enough to re-enable SSH. Therefore, I can't switch back to partition 1 to start over.

Can't to see anyone that's had similar issues.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try Firefox ESR, Pale Moon, Waterfox, Opera, Safari, IE, or something non-Chromium-based with no extensions or add-ons loaded.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ian2000t
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, will do!

I also found that 3 failed boots will fail over to the other partition, so I could use that to get back onto stock and try again.
ian2000t
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I managed to get back to stock through 3 failed boots. Then installed DD-WRT again.

Then I've been using Firefox ESR freshly installed to acces UI. I've still had a few times it's almost like it's timed out, and won't respond again until i close and reopen the browser. But much better experience than last time.

I followed the guide and upgraded to full DD-WRT on the same partition. All good.

Set up 2.4 and 5ghz access points and pointed it to my current router for gateway. All working fine. I'll use that for a bit to check wifi stability and speed, before i swap it over to Pppoe and replace my current router with it. That can then go into the garage as an access point.

Thanks for your help guys!
ian2000t
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
ian2000t wrote:

Nothing wrong with DD-WRT on the WRT32X. Why would you want to mess with OpenWRT when you do not seem to have a grasp of the basics?

Just follow the sticky (to the letter) for the installation. Forget, backing it out... why would you? I've been running DD-WRT on a number of routers for over a decade and NEVER ONCE had any compulsion to switch to anything else... it just works!

F/W download link in my sig...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: