Anyone else get early morning drop outs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are several topics discussing dnsmasq and working configurations from the past couple of years. I don't have them bookmarked, but somehow I am thinking this is a configuration issue. Found one rather long discussion about dnsmasq and lookup issues that I contributed to (or not? lol)...

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=318767

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Sponsor
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. I looked through the thread that you linked, but it all looks rather involved and indeed in my router GUI I cannot even see some of the settings - e.g. dns-forward-max - mentioned in that thread.

So I think that I've done all I can my end. Perhaps, though, 'KP', you could forward my extra feedback to BrainSlayer (if you think that might be of use).

Operating systems on devices that I use with that router: GNU-Linux; Windows 10; Android 13
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I think perhaps there may be something of benefit in the next release for the highmem devices, but only time will tell. Not sure if it is related to your issues, but won't be able to tell until the next release posts and you test it. If it's something specific to your ISP, there ain't much that can be done, I think. There's a lot of unusual things going on with the way things are going due to this COVID-19 crap. I have had random crap-outs at different times of the day because of weather and who knows what else.

Yes, not all devices have the same settings in the webUI (Inconsistencies in DD-WRT), but some of the additional options mentioned in that thread and some others that I couldn't readily find may be of benefit. It took me a lot of trial and error to find a reliable configuration, which should've been somewhere in that thread, I thought. I found this post in another thread that might be helpful. The one thing, though, is my ISP equipment is set to use OpenDNS servers, not the ISP servers, to prevent DNS leaks. So, the "all-servers" directive may not be a good idea for you.

----------------------
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, KP.

So my Asus RT-AC66U is a 'highmem' device?

'all-servers' was one of the options I could not find. However, on that new build I tries all of the following DNS settings, to no avail: my ISP; my VPN; OpenDNS; Google; Cloudflare.

I do find it strange that tiny bits of traffic leaked through whatever the blockage was.

Operating systems on devices that I use with that router: GNU-Linux; Windows 10; Android 13
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I believe the AC66U was one of those devices that recent builds did not show or use all the RAM on, but a patch was made, and another patch since this last release was also made. Most of the configs discussed are manually entered in the "Additional Configs" box in the webUI, if you didn't already understand that.

----------------------
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. Builds: understood. Additional config - what, the 'Additional Dnsmasq Options' in the services tab? Sorry.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, sorry. "Additional DNSMasq Options" is correct.

----------------------
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have not tried adjusting those 'Additional DNSMasq Options', but I can now post the message I get when a disconnect occurs. This message is not in the router's log, but rather in the sys logs of my (either of my) Linux laptops (although I get the disconnects even on Ethernet and also on Windows).

The sys log message is:

Code:
wlp2s0 [or whatever the connection is]: CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=<whatever> reason=4 locally_generated=1

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure if that is an issue with your laptops wireless drivers or settings or what. What is your sensitivity range (ack timing) set to for your router's wireless interfaces? I know sometime during the past 6 months to a year, the default was changed from 2000 to 500. I have no idea what the "updated" wiki says, but I would *at least* make sure it's set at the old default of 2000 for both radios.

----------------------
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
KP,

Thanks.

Hmm. I have the 'ack' set to 1500 for the 5GHz band - and it's at 2000 for the 2.4GHz band, and I foget whether the 2.4 band is affected by the problem. However, even Ethernet is affected by the problem - so, can this setting really be the source of he problem?

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
If everything on the LAN side is affected, the only thing I can think of is it is either ISP-driven or there's something amiss that isn't quite obvious. I guess I would need a PPPoE connection to tinker with to see if I could find anything that could be related there.

----------------------
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
My ISP pretty much swears blind that the problem is not at their end. I haven't another router to test with (well, I do, but the *hassle*) and I don't want to reflash stock firmware. So, tinkering is the only hope.

I'll try changing the 'client lease expiration', which is set to the suspicious - in the circumstances - value of 1440, which is 24 hours. There's also the 'keep alive' value . .

tli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 15:58    Post subject: DSL? Reply with quote
WouldRatherBeFOSS wrote:

ISP connection: PPoE

Just curious, since your connection requires PPPoE, then your internet connection is via DSL? Does the DSL modem log reveal any info for these disconnects?

From my experience with DSL over a decade ago, when the connection was initially installed, I got these regular disconnects starting every morning at 7AM until ~5PM. The problem turned out to be RF interference with a local small independent radio station operated about half mile away which I never knew existed. Long story short, I replaced the telephone wires between the NID and the DSL modem with a shielded twisted-pairs (STP) cable--about a 50-feet run through the house, and the disconnects stopped. It was a quite a problem to diagnose requiring several service calls. It wasn't until one of the more knowledgeable service tech mentioned the radio station nearby. However, nothing he could do to fix the disconnect issue but adding filters which were ineffective. FYI...
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
tli

Thanks for that.

I am afraid I do not know whether I have a DSL connection. I do know that my connection is described as 'fibre to the cabinet' and that the connection is conveyed from the cabinet to my house via telephone wires.

Also: could something like a local radio station disrupt my Ethernet?

tli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 16:52    Post subject: Modem? Reply with quote
WouldRatherBeFOSS wrote:
tli

Thanks for that.

I am afraid I do not know whether I have a DSL connection. I do know that my connection is described as 'fibre to the cabinet' and that the connection is conveyed from the cabinet to my house via telephone wires.

Also: could something like a local radio station disrupt my Ethernet?

The 'cabinet' is what's referred to here in the States as the NID. Interference could still be an issue if telephone wires are used. Your Ethernet cable is not connected to the 'cabinet'? Your network connection is as follows?

Fiber > Cabinet > telephone wires > 'Modem'(?) > Ethernet (WAN) > RT-AC66U > Ethernet (LAN) > PCs, Phones &/ IoTs

If there's a 'modem' in your setup as shown here, its make and model?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: