Two printers on Asus RT AC66U how to select default?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
aolean
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 18:09    Post subject: Two printers on Asus RT AC66U how to select default? Reply with quote
I have a Canon all in one(printer + Scanner) and a samsung laser printer connected to the two different USB ports of the Asus RT AC66U.

If i switch on the Canon all in one before the Samsung laser, the canon becomes the default printer wheareas i want the Samsung printer to remain as the default.

Any ideas on how to do this?

I have DDWRT version v3.0-r43192 giga (05/19/20)
alongwith Entware K3.4
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
AFAIK, the concept of the "default" printer is not a function of the router or USB. It's a function of the client OS (e.g., Windows or Linux).

By default, the first USB printer is assigned port 9100. All subsequent printers get assigned sequentially from there (9101, 9102, etc.). But the problem is that you can't control which USB port gets assigned to which USB printer, and in which order. So the choice of network port assignment (910x) becomes arbitrary. Even if both printers are ON at the time the process begins, there's still no guarantee which printer gets which port. And when that happens, *then* your references to those ports in the client's OS seem to change the default printer.

I assume this is what you're referring to.

Unfortunately there is no easy solution because there is no way I know of to assign specific USB ports to specific network ports. It's one of the reasons I got away from using USB-based printers w/ the router years ago, esp. when there's a need for more than one. I stick w/ network only printers.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
To show more than one USB printer on the router, you have to have a second instance of the p910nd running, if memory serves. It does not automatically happen (anymore).
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
To show more than one USB printer on the router, you have to have a second instance of the p910nd running, if memory serves. It does not automatically happen (anymore).

Good point, although I assume if the OP has multiple printers working already, this was already understood.

As I understand it, the problem is controlling which printer gets assigned to which port (910x) based on those multiple p910nd processes. And AFAIK, you can't control it. It's what makes working w/ multiple USB devices on the router problematic, even when dealing w/ USB storage (although in that case you have at least some control based on volume labeling).

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was trying to find the reference that had the magic voodoo to specify for the second printer, but can't find it. @#$%^&*!

----------------------
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
All you need to do is add those processes in the startup script.

Code:
# additional printer processes (enable as needed)
#p910nd -bf /dev/usb/lp1 1
#p910nd -bf /dev/usb/lp2 2

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Right. By default, the first one will be lp0, the additional ones via startup would be lp1, etc. A single printer instance is (now) working again, it's the 2nd printer that goes awry. I found the thread I was thinking about, as I was engaged in the discussion, finally:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=325358

This was two identical printers, but.

----------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: