QoS Problems Asus RT-AC66U

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jsalas424
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:23    Post subject: QoS Problems Asus RT-AC66U Reply with quote
I'm running Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r43028

I was struggling with getting anything over 30mbps and eventually realized it was QoS.

I tested on my Raspberry Pi 4 which is hardwired to the router with Speedtest(dot)net.

I initially had it setup as per the DD-WRT QoS wiki but found after some testing that I could get the "best" results (45 Mbsp) with HTB + Pie.

I tested Cake, Pie, FQ_Codel, and FQ_Codel_Fast with both HTB & HFSC on Lan + WAN.

After turning off QoS, I'm now averaging >110mbps down.

I had it set to 95000 down, 5000 up with ACK, SYN, FIN, and RST packets checked. I had 3 devices set on Mac Priority (2 premium and 1 bulk).

I'm getting a "F" bufferbloat rating on dslreports without any QoS settings.

I did 2 QoS tests with WAN port selected, HTB + Cake with no devices listed in the QoS settings. I got an "F" for bufferbloat and 30 Mbps.

I'll be keeping QoS off for now.
Sponsor
CTEC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you use an Intel Puma powered modem?
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
CTEC wrote:

It's an Arris Surfboard SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
jsalas424 wrote:
CTEC wrote:

http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Motorola_SURFboard_SB6121

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
CTEC wrote:

I get A+ directly connected wired or wireless to my Intel Puma SoC powered modem/wi-fi router. The patches were released two years ago, Arris pushed the updated firmware last year, or at least my ISP did.

----------------------
CTEC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
jsalas424 wrote:
CTEC wrote:

4x4 modem. Most likely due to a surge in internet traffic.

I've found recently that late evening hours or very early morning hours have fewer latency problems. I think the queuing algorithms were not designed to handle this kind of environment.

Some users have speculated that upgrading to a modem with more channels may help, but the problem could be beyond user control. Nodes in your area may be overloaded.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
CTEC wrote:

I get A+ directly connected wired or wireless to my Intel Puma SoC powered modem/wi-fi router. The patches were released two years ago, Arris pushed the updated firmware last year, or at least my ISP did.

I did not though I do not want to downplay your own experience.

I still think Puma modems are still awful to this day as I couldn't tweak whatever settings required to ease bufferbloat congestion. Intel recently sold off their home connectivity chips unit to MaxLinear.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
CTEC wrote:

Gotcha. I looked into upgrading the modems firmware and this seems to be exclusively in the hands of my ISP.

Thoughts/recommendations on upgrading the modem? Or should I try to spend the next 6 hours trying to get comcast to push an upgrade?
jsalas424
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
CTEC wrote:
jsalas424 wrote:
CTEC wrote:

4x4 modem. Most likely due to a surge in internet traffic.

I've found recently that late evening hours or very early morning hours have fewer latency problems. I think the queuing algorithms were not designed to handle this kind of environment.

Some users have speculated that upgrading to a modem with more channels may help, but the problem could be beyond user control. Nodes in your area may be overloaded.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
CTEC wrote:

I did not though I do not want to downplay your own experience.

I still think Puma modems are still awful to this day as I couldn't tweak whatever settings required to ease bufferbloat congestion. Intel recently sold off their home connectivity chips unit to MaxLinear.

If I understood correctly, QoS wasn't made to handle the low latency environment we see during the wee hours?

I've considered upgrading my modem previously but didn't really have a good reason to, except now maybe...?

Any modem recommendations?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your modem is not an Intel Puma SoC-powered modem.

EDIT: Correction, it is not an Intel Puma 6 or 7 SoC, it is a Puma 5. And I find it funny that below are two Broadcom-powered modems being recommended. Twisted Evil

I also find it rather interesting that the actual Puma line started as Texas Instruments branded cpus. Shocked

----------------------

Last edited by kernel-panic69 on Mon May 18, 2020 21:32; edited 1 time in total
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
jsalas424 wrote:

SB6183 or SB8200 + AC Infinity fan(s) 120mm or 140mm.
CTEC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
jsalas424 wrote:
If I understood correctly, QoS wasn't made to handle the low latency environment we see during the wee hours?

I've considered upgrading my modem previously but didn't really have a good reason to, except now maybe...?

No. Allow me to clarify, and that is my fault for not making my point clear. QoS may not be able to handle high latency hours.

I am unsure if a newer modem will solve your problems. It might help since you'll at least be increasing the number of download streams.

SB6183 is an economic upgrade option as it'll increase your downstream from 4 to 16.

DOCSIS 3.1 modems (preferably non-Puma) introduce mandatory PIE QoS for downstream and OFDM tech to upgrade from QAM signals, but it'll cost at least twice the price of SB6183.
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Your modem is not an Intel Puma SoC-powered modem.

EDIT: Correction, it is not an Intel Puma 6 or 7 SoC, it is a Puma 5. And I find it funny that below are two Broadcom-powered modems being recommended. Twisted Evil

I also find it rather interesting that the actual Puma line started as Texas Instruments branded cpus. Shocked

Broadcom unfortunately makes the better product for cable modem infrastructure as of now.

Wireless is a different realm. Atheros tends to perform better than Broadcom for access points (and QoS).

From what I've read, supposedly Broadcom makes bulk pricing very competitive, so you see a lot of manufacturers contract with them.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
jsalas424 wrote:

SB6183 or SB8200 + AC Infinity fan(s) 120mm or 140mm.

Alright guys I bought an SB6183 and it's running! I'll do some QoS testing late tonight when local traffic should be low. Will report back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: