Anyone else get early morning drop outs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:23    Post subject: Anyone else get early morning drop outs? Reply with quote
Since roughly the time I started using DD-WRT, which is approximately a year ago, my Internet (wired and wireless, on all devices) goes down for some ten seconds most nights, at between midnight and 4pm (U.K. time).

Unfortunately I cannot quite remmeber when I started using DD-WRT, which is one reason why I am unsure whether DD-WRT is to blame or my Internet provider is.

My Internet provider is moderately useless, but I got it to run a variety of tests and they did not find anything.

My ISP is Plusnet. My router is an Asus RT-AC66U. I use this firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r42278 giga (02/05/20) (though I've run older builds within the last year; newer builds do not, yet, work). I have no other problem with that firmware - everything runs well. I use the router in the normal way (i.e. as - if this the right term - an access point). I have a VPN (running in software, not on the router) but I have the connectivity drop even when the VPN is off.

Since the drop is so brief, I can live with it, but it does irritate.

Operating systems on devices that I use with that router: GNU-Linux; Windows 10; Android 13
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
New Build - 05-22-2020 - r43217
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
New Build - 05-22-2020 - r43217

Have you posted in the right thread? That is: why post that link here? EDIT: ah, that build contains a fix for this bug, a bug that causes a disconnection every twelve hours?

Operating systems on devices that I use with that router: GNU-Linux; Windows 10; Android 13
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
The issue seemed to be specific to the WRT54* devices and non-standard WAN lease times (at least nobody else was reporting an issue). Perhaps your ISP was doing the same voodoo to you?
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did some web searching to try to determine whether my router Asus RT-AC66U has the WRT54 thing and the results seem to indicate that it does not. Is that right?

As to 'non-standard WAN lease times': I would have to check whether I have set such a thing.

foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
what do your logs say?
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
foz111 wrote:
what do your logs say?

Ah yes - I should have mentioned that. The router log seems to say nothing that is any help. On the 'syslog' of my Linux laptop, which uses router wirelessly, there is a message - I am afraid I forget exactly what it is (and I don't have the laptop to have now) - about a reconnect, or disconnect, being initiated. I can hunt down the exact message if anyone thinks they might be able to offer a diagnosis on its basis.

EDIT: I can't find my old records, and I have not yet observed the problem again (I tend to notice only when streaming Netflix, for, Netflix gives me a pop-up about the problem; at other times, the disconnection tends to be too brief to be noticable). However, I think that the relevant system log entry that I get, on my Linux laptop, is ctrl event disconnected reason= but I cannot at present recall the reason number.

Also, I've tried the latest build for the router (the firmware file being dd-wrt-43217-Asus_RT-AC66U) and, with that version of the firmware installed, I cannot connect to the Internet (as I have reported in that thread) or even ping 8.8.8.8, though I do seem to get assigned an IP address.

Last edited by WouldRatherBeFOSS on Mon May 25, 2020 1:31; edited 1 time in total
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
What ISP Connection do you have (DHCP or PPoE)?

No Internet can be caused by NAT not enabled. Is the Router in Gateway Mode?
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply.

ISP connection: PPoE

Router mode: er, I think 'Gateway' - is that the mode where you just use the router in the standard way, i.e. not as a repeater or anything like that?

Also: I've updated my original post to say that on Linux I see this in my syslog when I get a disconnection: ctrl event disconnected reason=.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
From my comment in the build thread:

kernel-panic69 wrote:
WouldRatherBeFOSS wrote:
@kernel-panic69

The router is not connected to any other router or doing anything fancy. So, does this mean I am using 'gateway' mode?

What I was referring to is on the Setup->Advanced Routing tab in the webUI. Default is "gateway", but you can change that to other settings. Usually, a wired AP setup is to a LAN port, and the setting is set to "router" on that page.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

----------------------
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Right. I can confirm that my router is in 'gateway' mode.

So: might the problem that I have with the new firmware build - firmware that might solve the dropout problem - owe to 'NAT' ('Network Address Translation') being misconfigured? Or is NAT used only by routers that are not in gateway mode?

If NAT might indeed be my problem, then how so, please? I have looked through the router's GUI, and found a section entitled NAT /QoS, but I cannot see any specific setting that looks relevant.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not 100% familiar with the "owe" configuration stuff, so that could be a possible issue.

----------------------
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you use your ISP's DNS Server?

I have seen sites where the Dns server is part of the connection process. If you use Google dns server, access to Internet is not enabled.

You can still ping from the router console and not from a client when NAT is off.
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do not use my ISP's DNS server. Instead I use my VPN's server. When, with the new build, I could not access the Internet, I think that, temporarily, I changed the DNS server. I think, though, that I changed the DNS to Google or perhaps to OpenDNS. I could try re-flashing the build, having set the DNS to my ISP's server. Hold on, though: if it does prove that one must use one's ISP's DNS - is that not just a bug?

'You can still ping from the router console and not from a client when NAT is off.' I do not understand. I was testing the new build by trying to ping - from a command window, on Windows 10. I was not trying, but if necessary I could try, to ping when SSHd into the router. I do think I have 'NAT' disabled.

WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have just tried the build again (and updated my post in the build thread). Let me repeat material from that updated post, as follows.

Router syslog is here. I note also the following. Changing DNS server, and toggling DNSMasq, did not help. Oddly, though, a few elements on some websites would load, and, the various times I tried to ping 8.8.8.8, all packets were lost except for one time when half the packets got through.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: