Archer C5 v1 Problems MiniDLNA .mp4 files & Samba linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:04    Post subject: Archer C5 v1 Problems MiniDLNA .mp4 files & Samba linux Reply with quote
Hi.

I have the following problem or doubt that I do not know how to solve.

First of all, indicate that I currently have version v3.0-r39144 std installed (03/11/19) and everything works fine with it.

I have activated usb, ProFTPD, NAS and miniDLNA, connected an external hard drive to the usb port of my tp link.

I access this hard drive from my computer, I use linux, I automatically boot the hard drive with the following line in the fstab:
//192.168.1.5/Router /mnt/external cifs auto,users,vers=2.0,username=myuser,password=mypass 0 0

All good as I comment.

In Administration-Services-NAS I have the following options activated:
ProFTPD, Wan Access. In miniDLNA the following: MiniDLNA, Include Cover Artwork and Keep Metadata on Storage.
Path configured.

In Samba Server, only Samba Server activated, no fields filled in and File Sharing and Users correctly configured.

All good.

If I install a more current version of ddwrt I notice that, in Samba Server I have the option of choosing the maximum and minimum version of Samba Server, I configure the minimum that comes by default, 2.02 and the maximum that comes as maximum.

Here is where the problems start;

My computer, in the fstab I remove the version = 2.0 (because it already has a more modern version of samba ddwrt) but I do not have write permissions.
After much searching and testing, the only solution I found to have write permissions is to put this line in the fstab:
//192.168.1.5/Router /mnt/external cifs defaults, username=myuser,password=mypass,mode_dir = 0777, file_mode = 0777 0 0

I have not tried to change the defaults to auto, users.

That way if I have write permissions.

But ... every time I make a change and save and apply changes, something happens, I no longer have access to the hard drive from my computer, a message appears of the type that only root can access.
And I don't know how to fix it.

And the most "striking" for me, is that, the DLNA server only displays the .avi files, not the .mp4 files (I always talk about movies), I observe it since, it does not generate the file in .meta folder and then in my smartv, does not display the .mp4, only the .avi.

I have tested with the last 3 versions of the month of March.

If I re-record version 39144 of 03/11/19 then yes, it generates the files in .meta and displays all the movie formats.

But this version has an "older" version of samba.

Unfortunately now, I have time, in my country we are confined, and I think it is the best time to test, debug, learn, see what happens ... etc ...

I thought that maybe it would be better in two posts, but I also do not want to "flood", I know or intuit that the failure when I save and apply and do not access is due to configuration in my fstab, although it only displayed avi and in previous versions it displayed everything, perhaps yes, that in another post ...

Nothing more, which is not a little, and it is a very extensive post Smile

I hope you are all well, and you can handle this terrible situation as best you can.

A "virtual" hug.
Sponsor
pandemonium420
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:15    Post subject: Re: Archer C5 v1 Problems MiniDLNA .mp4 files & Samba li Reply with quote
wonder_wonder wrote:
Hi.

I have the following problem or doubt that I do not know how to solve.

First of all, indicate that I currently have version v3.0-r39144 std installed (03/11/19) and everything works fine with it.
--------------
I hope you are all well, and you can handle this terrible situation as best you can.

A "virtual" hug.

I have not been able to get miniDNLA to work correctly for several firmware releases with all the changes to samba ( r7800 Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r42819 std ( 03/30/20 ) and related services (wsd ssdp netbios) all work correctly for me (windows 10, Macs, Androids), but I cannot miniDNLA to rebuild the database without crashing the router. Simple test, on SERVICES/NAS check the button "clean database now" and either "SAVE" and reboot router, or "APPLY SETTINGS" and the process will start and will not complete without clients being dropped, router eventually requires hard reboot because unresponsive. I see the database being built on JFFS2 (on the hard drive), but will not complete with out crashing router. The database used to take up about 160 - 250 megabytes and would survive reboots, unless I needed to refresh it. I have about 3 terabytes of .mp4, and maybe 2 terabytes of .mp3 with album covers art etc. I cannot for the life of me get proFTP to work either anymore and it seems to be whenever there was a change to the drives spinning WAY later in the boot process all this minidnla stop working. I had to also store my dhcp static leases to NVRAM for client lease DB instead of JFFS2. I gave up and just moved everything to an new plex server as I was good with network neighborhood working.

File/Kernel: DD-WRT v3.0-r50671 std (10/26/22), Linux 4.9.330 #1313 SMP Wed Oct 26 05:13:03 +07 2022 armv7l

wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Indeed, that is exactly what happens to me, what you have described.
I have tried the last 3 versions of dd-wrt for the month of March, and the same thing happens to me in all of them.
I go to miniDLNA, click on clean database, save changes and reboot or apply changes, crashing router, I no longer have access to ftp, and rebuilding the database of files in minidlna stops.
I do a hard reset (turn the power on and off again) at that moment the ftp server works again but minidlna no longer rebuilds the database (files in .meta folder).
I thought that I had misconfigured the line in fstab to access the hard disk connected to the router, but I see that this is not the case.
Besides, as I mentioned, it only adds the .avi files to the minidlna server, the .mp4 not.
I have few, in total, about 60 files, they are few.
And as I comment, with the previous version if it generates and works all the files, both .avi and .mp4 ... etc ...
I would leave the version that I have, because everything works well, but I am one of those who think that a more updated version can always have better stability, security improvements ... etc ... and my version that works is one year old. antiquity. Although I know that later versions work, I think until May / June of the year 2019. A matter of testing until which version works well.
It also happens to me that, with the version I use, the FTP server, when I access ftp (it is my own hard disk) if there are files with strange characters (´ for example) it does not show them well, the March versions that I have tried the shows well. Although this is a small detail without importance, the important thing is that these services work well.

Best regards!
joedow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey Wonder,

any news?

for me it was working fine (well no h.265 support, but i think you know) and this week i updated in console.

opkg update
opkg upgrade

it updated my minidlna also and since then its not working.

-sh: minidlna: not found

when i install older versions its not showing up all the movies (24 of about 40+ files)
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi joedow,

In this regard, nothing new, I have tried all the versions of the month of March and April, in all I have exactly the same problem. On the one hand, only .avi files, on the other hand, what was previously commented and which also indicates pandeminoum420:

Cannot miniDNLA to rebuild the database without crashing the router. Simple test, on SERVICES / NAS check the button "clean database now" and either "SAVE" and reboot router, or "APPLY SETTINGS" and the process will start and will not complete without and crash for me smb, I can't access to hard drive connect until not reboot the router.

At the moment I am using the DD-WRT v3.0-r39884 std (05/30/19) version, this works perfectly in every way for me, no problem, perfect miniDLNA, perfect smb, wol daemon perfect, arp perfect, no higuer cpu load after some hours ... all perfect.

Little by little I will start testing versions before March, to see if I find the last one that worked well. But with the March of the year 2019 I found that, after one or two days, the cpu load increased a lot, therefore, each version I test over 2 or 3 days to make sure of everything.

Regards!
joedow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey,
I got update on the Minidlna issue. I managed to revert back to normal.
This new version smth"-5" removes /opt/bin/minidlna file and ads /opt/sbin/minidlnad and screws settings over. I dont know why does that. I didnt see any changelog.

After several reboots and trial and errors with previous versions from entware repo, i got it working the smth"-2" version to recognize all media files.

The last "-5" version hangs when it meets, in alphabrtical order, a big movie file (1080p 20GB). Even so i needed to change in minidlna.conf the log level http=error.

Best of luck, Joe
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
Thanks for your post.

When you indicate that you are update your minidlna, not update with new firmware version, only minidlna?
If is the last, only update minidlna, how upgrade?

I don't indicate in my posts, but isn't only the problems with minidlna and smb; When crash smb/minidlna after click save and apply changes, my ftp server don't work, I need reboot the router.

I read some post like you, upgrade only the minidlna, for this, I was ask about this, only upgrade minidlna? (and if its yes, how upgrade) or upgrade with new/lastest firmware?

Thanks and regards.
joedow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey,
Well i dont touch the firmware anymore... Im on build 34929 (its pretty stable for my wdr3600)

U have entware right?

Opkg update
Opkg upgrade

In this order. It updates installed packadges.

I think
Opkg install minidlna
Will update just minidlna
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
Yes, after try some and a lot firmware versions, I use 39884, in my case, its very stable, and I don't want touch the firmware.

Not, like in the last days/weeks I tray differents firmwares versions in this moment I don't have entware, but I can install quickly and upgrade minidlna.

With the version that I use in this moment, minidlna and all works fine for me but I want try this.

Thanks and regards!
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
joedow wrote:
Hey,
Well i dont touch the firmware anymore... Im on build 34929 (its pretty stable for my wdr3600)

U have entware right?

Opkg update
Opkg upgrade

In this order. It updates installed packadges.

I think
Opkg install minidlna
Will update just minidlna

Hi.
Several days have passed, I have been short of time and I have been conducting various tests.
The conclusion (if you can call it that) I have not found a stable firmware for me, or, one after a few days the cpu use increased 100% because of the httpd, and others because of minidlna.
But I think that my tests are not entirely reliable because, when I change version, I don't do a reset defaults, either with upgrade or downgrade, I don't do reset defaults.

I still have to try the version that you mention that is stable.

The maximum I achieved, was 7 days in a row (almost Cool without any problem, reached that almost eighth day, the use of httpd was 95 or 98%, having a very high CPU consumption, even reducing the speed of my internet connection.

I have been reading about entware, but there are two doubts that assail me:
Once installed, is it necessary to keep the pen inserted with entware in the router?
On the other hand, in your case, for example, you use the ddwrt version 34929, it is very stable for you, you update with opkg, this updates services like minidlna, but if by default 34929 works well for you, what benefits do you get by doing this update ?

I hope you are all well.
joedow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Wonder,

With opkg upgrade it upgrades packadges (apps) installed on entware, not on dd wrt firmware.
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
joedow wrote:
Hi Wonder,

With opkg upgrade it upgrades packadges (apps) installed on entware, not on dd wrt firmware.

Hi joedow!
Thanks for your reply.
After some tests with differents firms, I view that, the best for me is the same that you use (also, one more after that you use). The firmw in 2018 all work fine for me (during 2 days more or less, is the time that I test), minidlna work always, with firms since december 2018 and all of the year of 2019 not work for me minidlna, well, work the first 10,20 or 30 minutes after restart router, after this time, when start my smart tv, and access to dd-wrt minidlna appears "any file"...
But this I don't know if expose detailed in this thread or open other thread...

About you indicate with opkg update the app's installeds on entware, then, I deduced that, after installed entware, you/I need installed, for example, minidlna in entware, is this?
And I need put in always the pen with entware in the router, is correct?
Sorry for my "estupid" questions about entware...

Thanks and regards!
joedow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
U are correct.

Think of entware as an OS. U install it and then install programs on it.

I dont understand why u ask about keeping or puting the usb drive back. U need some hdd/pen drive for the media files for minidlna.

I have a laptop hdd atached to my wdr3600 with 2 partitions. One calles optware and one for media downloads and media server.
wonder_wonder
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
joedow wrote:
U are correct.

Think of entware as an OS. U install it and then install programs on it.

I dont understand why u ask about keeping or puting the usb drive back. U need some hdd/pen drive for the media files for minidlna.

I have a laptop hdd atached to my wdr3600 with 2 partitions. One calles optware and one for media downloads and media server.

Again, thanks joedow for U detailed response.
Now I understand that, entware as an OS, if I install I need install that I need, after instal entwere, the apps or some services are default in ddwrt (for example, minidlna, pureftpd, sshd) i need instal in entwere, is correct?

Quote:

If my last question is correct, this doubt are solved for me.
Was indicate this because, after read the process installation: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installing_Entware
In the final part indicate this:
Quote:
Upgrading DD-WRT

Before upgrading DD-WRT, it is best to remove the Entware drive, or at least disable USB support. Upgrading DD-WRT should not cause any problem to your Entware installation, so long as the devs do not change the PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables mentioned above. After upgrading, just plug the drive back in or enable USB support again. Then open a SSH terminal and issue the following commands:

opkg update (click enter)
opkg upgrade (click enter)

But this is for upgrade ddwrt, not entware and the apps installed on entwere, is correct?

If all my doubts are correct (again for my "stupids doubts"...the understand, we use ddwrt firmware stable for we, for example, the release that you have and now, also, I have, we installed entwere, then, installed the apps that we need (minidlna, pureftpd...) and only we upgrade this apps when upgrade apps entwere, but ddwrt firmware continue the same but we have the latests versions of this apps.

Again, thank you very much!
joedow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im on phone, i cannot quote like i whould wanted.

1. Entware apps its not the same as dd wrt firmware apps. U need to in stall minidlna in entware, not invdd wrt (well in older build that is stable for me), newer builds have minidlna at NAS tab but i dont use newer builds

2. opkg update (click enter)
opkg upgrade (click enter)

Is for entware, not dd wrt apps.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: