DIR-825 B1 not booting, serial console info available

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
matheusber
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 13:57    Post subject: DIR-825 B1 not booting, serial console info available Reply with quote
Hi,

I have a DIR-825 B1 here that won't boot. I get to this point:

Code:
U-Boot 1.1.4 (Jan  4 2011 - 16:52:21)

AP94 (ar7100) U-boot 0.0.12
HTTPD-UIP: DRAM:  b8050000: 0xc0140180
64 MB
Top of RAM usable for U-Boot at: 84000000
Reserving 196k for U-Boot at: 83fcc000
Reserving 192k for malloc() at: 83f9c000
Reserving 44 Bytes for Board Info at: 83f9bfd4
Reserving 36 Bytes for Global Data at: 83f9bfb0
Reserving 128k for boot params() at: 83f7bfb0
Stack Pointer at: 83f7bf98
Now running in RAM - U-Boot at: 83fcc000
ar7100 flash_init: start
ar7100_spi_flash_unblock: start
flash size 8MB, sector count = 128
Flash:  8 MB
Using default environment

and it stops.

I am trying to open the recovery web site to upload ddwrt image.

I tried the 30-30-30 reset, no good.

Anyone has any clue on what I can do?

thanks,

matheus
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't 30-30-30 an Atheros. https://openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-825
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
matheusber
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
You don't 30-30-30 an Atheros. https://openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-825

kernel-panic69, I tried that reset and even took more then 45s on reset, and the response was just the same Sad

Still trying though

Thanks,

matheus
matheusber
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, just update.

It gets hot, the Dlink led is blue and the power led is orange. All others are off. Ethernet leds are not on, regardless of the cable being connected.

I found some thread to reflash it all (https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=888443#888443), but I have not those skills to do it. The ttl serial I had to pay for local electronics guy to do it, and now all those are closed (due to covid).

thanks,

matheus
gallo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you don't have the knowledge or tools to recover your router you shouldn't be doing it. I have the same router and have thrown it into the garbage a cpl of times only to recover it and exercise some patience. It is not browser friendly you might require to switch browser to get the recovery page to show up. Follow these steps to get the recovery page up and restore dlink's original firmware before attempting to change it to ddwrt. Mind you plenty of ddwrt havent worked on this router for some reason or another. Mine is running 41117 and has been stable if you can recover it.

Get into the D-Link recovery console with the steps below:
While powering up the router, press and hold the reset button until the power LED starts blinking orange (usually takes around 45 (forty-five) seconds )
Set a static IP on your PC to 192.168.0.100/24 -----DO THIS-----
connect to http://192.168.0.1, mind the quirks!
Click “Browse” and select your image file -----USE THE D-LINK FILE "DIR-825B1_Fw202NAB01" Google it----- Versions after 2.02 have been modified by dlink to not accept firmware from 3rd party so stick to this one------
Click “Update” and let router flash the image (don't worry if it reboots before it reaches 100%). The page should display “Device is Upgrading the Firmware” in blue letters with the current percentage in red (with an incompatible Browser it doesn't). The router's power LED should blink orange during bootup, as soon as it stops flashing, you can connect to it
Tip! Note that default DHCP will allocate on 192.168.1.x, which is different subnet to the address you allocated above. This is why you can't connect until you change your IP address.

This works I've used it plenty of times, ddwrt seems to rub mine the wrong way so it took several versions to find one that uploaded and worked.
DONT FORGET TRY DIFFERENT BROWSERS IF THE PAGE DOES T POPUP
obtain new IP from the router via DHCP and follow walkthrough_login

edit: oh BTW unplug all Ethernet when trying to put in recovery mode

NAS: Iomega ix2-200 CE 4tb, Seagate 1tb usb drive
Wash your hands and DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE!!!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the input, @gallo. I was going to re-visit this thread, anyway to search for more information, if needed.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
matheusber
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
gallo wrote:
If you don't have the knowledge or tools to recover your router you shouldn't be doing it.

Hi. First of all thanks for the input. But I think there was a misunderstanding here. The skills I don't have are those to weld components on the board. The recover part I can do for sure. The ttl serial is already welded on it and I can use it fine.

gallo wrote:
I have the same router and have thrown it into the garbage a cpl of times only to recover it and exercise some patience. It is not browser friendly you might require to switch browser to get the recovery page to show up. Follow these steps to get the recovery page up and restore dlink's original firmware before attempting to change it to ddwrt. Mind you plenty of ddwrt havent worked on this router for some reason or another. Mine is running 41117 and has been stable if you can recover it.

Get into the D-Link recovery console with the steps below:
While powering up the router, press and hold the reset button until the power LED starts blinking orange (usually takes around 45 (forty-five) seconds )
Set a static IP on your PC to 192.168.0.100/24 -----DO THIS-----
connect to http://192.168.0.1, mind the quirks!
Click “Browse” and select your image file -----USE THE D-LINK FILE "DIR-825B1_Fw202NAB01" Google it----- Versions after 2.02 have been modified by dlink to not accept firmware from 3rd party so stick to this one------
Click “Update” and let router flash the image (don't worry if it reboots before it reaches 100%). The page should display “Device is Upgrading the Firmware” in blue letters with the current percentage in red (with an incompatible Browser it doesn't). The router's power LED should blink orange during bootup, as soon as it stops flashing, you can connect to it
Tip! Note that default DHCP will allocate on 192.168.1.x, which is different subnet to the address you allocated above. This is why you can't connect until you change your IP address.

This works I've used it plenty of times, ddwrt seems to rub mine the wrong way so it took several versions to find one that uploaded and worked.
DONT FORGET TRY DIFFERENT BROWSERS IF THE PAGE DOES T POPUP
obtain new IP from the router via DHCP and follow walkthrough_login

edit: oh BTW unplug all Ethernet when trying to put in recovery mode

Here I get the new information to not plug the eth cable when turning on. Well, my unit won't blink power led even after a minute on reset Sad
This unit had FreeBSD Mips on it before (still is there) and I want to use dd-wrt now. What is weird here is that the board won't boot to FreeBSD now. The last line it writes on the serial line is:

Using default environment

And that is my main concern. The recover mode would need anything more than u-boot?

As I told, the things I didn't have the skills was to weld stuff to reflash the chip as a whole.

As a new info I tried here and I got it to turn the orange power led off while I was holding reset from power on. But nothing was written on serial line and ping would not work, nor web access. On recover mode ping should work?

thanks again to both,

matheus

ps: I found the 2.03 version from Dlink, will work on finding the 2.02. My unit is from North America, bought there, does that interfere anyhow?
gallo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
@matheusber, not trying to offend, just a general statement. Now I haven't had to restore my 825 in a bit I don't think 2.03 will present an upgrade problem, if it does you can always downgrade after you recover it. Worst case scenario you'll need to restore the bootloader and I believe there's a howto on that, I can generate the loader file if you need it, not like I got alot to do with the rona going on. Wink

edit 1: the update problem started happening after 2.05na so you should be ok.
edit 2: I can't seem to find the article on gettin the u-boot off if you need it. If anyone can help please chime in.

NAS: Iomega ix2-200 CE 4tb, Seagate 1tb usb drive
Wash your hands and DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE!!!
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:30    Post subject: Browser Support Reply with quote
I had luck a while back (6 months ago or so) with IE9 on Windows 7. Firefox didn't work for the D-Link Recovery Room. Chrome probably won't either.

When Gallo says try different browsers, he is right. For me it was IE9.

Here is another set of instructions: https://openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-825#installation_using_firmware_recovery_mode

PS: OpenWRT wiki has recovery options for most OpenWRT/DD-WRT supported routers.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: