QCA Slow Downloads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Robnw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 16:57    Post subject: QCA Slow Downloads Reply with quote
From what I can tell, this is a common concern. So this post is just asking if I understand this correctly and if there's anything else I can look at to improve my download speed.

I have an archer c7 v2, been running an older version of dd-wrt for a couple of years hooked up to a relatively slow cable modem 25d/5u.

Last weekend, we upgraded said cable modem speed to 300d/15u. At the cable modem, I can confirm those new speeds. But connecting through the archer, I can only get at most 90d/15u, and frequently less on the download speed. This is regardless of wired or wireless connection, at 2.4 and 5Ghz.

I've seen a few references in this forum to this being caused by the HW NAT issue and by the CPU frequency of this router. But it also appears that I should be able to get near 150d, which I'm not. I have tried various recommendations from posts here but none seem to make any difference.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Robnw
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only way to get speeds that fast on the C7v2 is to turn on/enable the shortcut forward engine on the main setup tab.

That router is only good to 150mbps with Q.o.S turned on.

SFE enabled will not allow any Q.o.S. to work so don't bother using Q.o.S., but in turn you should be able to hit the 300mbps download speeds on a wired connection.

On wifi, 2.4 should be able to top out around 70-80 mbps
5ghz should be able to hit 225-250 mbps.

Follow my signature and best wifi settings.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
Robnw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you. I'll turn SFE back on, turn off QOS and try a wired test. I'll also go through your signature-line settings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: