Need a router that will last

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers
Kakeru
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 16:53    Post subject: Need a router that will last Reply with quote
Been looking at routers for a while to replace my dying Linksys e3000 (I've had it for several years now, and it shows in its performance). While browsing here I saw the Netgear R7800 was recommended. However, according to questions and reviews on Amazon, that router received some updates that make it incompatible with DD-WRT. Though that review is older than some of the comments here recommending it, so I'm unsure what the case is.

Also, feeling really lazy lately, how does everyone here feel about Flash Routers? Are they reliable/trustworthy? If I can get it pre-flashed, that'd be preferable.

Lastly, if I export my the settings from my current router, will I be able to import them on the new one? I only ask because I'm unsure if the new hardware will make a difference in that regard. I'm also not 100% positive I'm on the latest version for my current router, so that could also be an issue.

Thanks.
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, don't rely on Amazon reviews as they are most likely just user error.

Flashrouters is flushing money down the toilet. It's super easy to flash R7800 or R9000. TFTP recovery is easy too, if necessary.

You will need to manually configure the new router, so don't restore a backup or try to export/import just rely on written notes.

Search offerup, craigslist, ebay or local classifieds for used sales to save money.

+1 R7800
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
+1 for R7800 (or EA8500). The E3000 isn't a bad router, but if it has some age on it, there is likely some things starting to happen. They are known for overheating issues. https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E3000 If you don't wish to keep it, feel free to PM me.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Kakeru
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Well, don't rely on Amazon reviews as they are most likely just user error.

Flashrouters is flushing money down the toilet. It's super easy to flash R7800 or R9000. TFTP recovery is easy too, if necessary.

You will need to manually configure the new router, so don't restore a backup or try to export/import just rely on written notes.

Search offerup, craigslist, ebay or local classifieds for used sales to save money.

+1 R7800

Thanks for the advice and thanks for letting me know about the configuration. I figured that was the case, but it was worth a shot.

EDIT: Would you recommend the R9000 over the R7800? Is the performance difference enough to justify the cost?

kernel-panic69 wrote:
+1 for R7800 (or EA8500). The E3000 isn't a bad router, but if it has some age on it, there is likely some things starting to happen. They are known for overheating issues. https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E3000 If you don't wish to keep it, feel free to PM me.

Actually I've known about the over-heating issue of the E3000 since I bought it, which is why I both bought some tiny rubber feet from a hardware store and a laptop cooler that it has lived it's entire life on. I've never measured the temperature, but it's never been more than slightly warm to the touch. Despite those measures, the wifi signal has been losing strength and no longer covers the entire house like it used to. Thanks for replying, I'll consider pm'ing you once I have a replacement sorted out.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
It could be in need of new filter caps on the board as well as a new power adapter. They don't last forever. Thankfully, all of my E4200s have been fine so far, when in use.

----------------------
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kakeru wrote:
Would you recommend the R9000 over the R7800? Is the performance difference enough to justify the cost?

I currently use R7800 and an older EA8500, both purchased in used condition. EA8500 is $20-40 USD and R7800 is about $60-80. If a used R9000 were to magically appear in a local listing for $100-120 then I would be interested.

Otherwise, it has the same exact QCA9984 radios and Skyworks power amplifiers as R7800. R9000's dual Ethernet switch configuration is a headache. The antennas are not removable or replacable, so careful not to break them.

R9000 does have a nice quad core processor however; flash and RAM are doubled too. If you are not utilizing these extra cores properly the performance compared to R7800 will be about the same. It has a third radio for 60GHz, but for me it's useless.

EA8500 does require an initial serial flash due to later version stock firmwares being encrypted. Also, there is possible soldering involved to add missing pins if the hardware revision is newer. Its QCA9980 radios do not receive much attention these days as the focus is on QCA9984. It's a great router though and the best used deal out there IMO (unless you find R7800 for $40 lol).
Kakeru
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I don't have the tools or experience to do any soldering, so I definitely need to avoid anything that would require it.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then ignore EA8500 and look towards R7800 or R9000.

This way you will also never have to worry about serial flash with a USB to TTL serial adapter cable, or pry open a clipped together plastic case after removing screws.
Kakeru
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
So the new router arrived yesterday, I've been searching around, but can't seem to find a guide to follow (similar to what I originally did with my E3000). Is there a good guide to follow somewhere, or is it as simple as using what's found on this page?

I've seen conflicting posts on this board about where to check which routers are supported and where to find the appropriate guides.

EDIT: To clarify, when I initially flashed my E3000 I recall it being a bit more complicated that "download this file, flash your router with it." For example, part of the guide was doing a 30-30-30 reset. So I want to know if there are any more complicated steps than using the factory-to-ddwrt file and then the upgrade file.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Start with reading the forum guidelines. That should get you going
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Netgear R7800 Install Guide

----------------------
Kakeru
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you, I found that post before and thought I bookmarked it, but it wasn't showing up in my bookmarks, nor was it coming up in my searches. It's exactly what I was looking for though, so thank you again!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Search & Find, Sales & Offers All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: