Smart Devices - Unstable on WiFi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
mrwulf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:42    Post subject: Smart Devices - Unstable on WiFi Reply with quote
It seems it doesn't matter what version of DD-WRT I run, if my Amazon Echo's and TP Link smart bulbs are on the same WAP the TP Link devices drop every 30 seconds.

To counter this, I have created a V2.4ghz WAP just for the TP Link devices and they're fine.

The Echo's drop from 5Ghz every couple of hours.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
untill we dont know
-router model
-current build number
-wi fi settings
the only thing i can say my amazon echo is fine
and have a look here
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324014

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
mrwulf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
untill we dont know
-router model
-current build number
-wi fi settings
the only thing i can say my amazon echo is fine
and have a look here
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324014

Router - D-Link DIR 882
Build number - R42747
Wifi Settings - VHT80, Channel 52, WPA2 PSK AES
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a feeling it's a channel setting. Channel 52-144 are DFS channels and legacy drivers used on many clients won't support these channels, or not well. I would use 36-48 or 149-161. Also to note, the DFS channels require lower TX power, adding another reason not to use those channels.

Outside that, make sure you are not using more than one security type. Most clients will only support WPA2 AES (CCMP-128).

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
i0ntempest
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same problem here, and same router, except my smart plugs are on 2.4G and they drop out about 15 mins after connecting.
Rocket222
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would recommend checking the wifi signal strength or interference at the smart plugs. I use this on my android.
i0ntempest
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the hint. I can pretty much rule out signal strength/interference problems because those plugs work great with build 39296, and plugs and my router are in the same room.
My phone and tablet on 5G also experience occasional timeouts/disconnects in chat apps and games.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Iot devices are a crapshoot when it comes to dd-wrt...
Something about the code dd-wrt uses needs fixing....

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1181556#1181556

Then, factor in flakey RAlink drivers...perfect storm for it to not work ever..

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Best option is to have (a) completely separate 2.4 or 5GHz AP(s) for your IoT stuff. Or get rid of it all. I'm not really fond of someone in Москва turning my AC or lights or security system on or off and other dubious things. You really have to lock things down for those to be tied to the Internet, IMHO. And anything that publishes to an off-site cloud is a definite NO for me. Too many things get compromised and stolen that way.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
i0ntempest
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay thanks for the suggestions. If this is a wontfix then I hope random disconnects/timeouts on WiFi and USB problem could get a fix soon.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
That would require newer drivers. Not sure if this is in the group of MediaTek devices that BrainSlayer is updating drivers on for the next release... I think I saw some commits for the MediaTek stuff, anyway.

----------------------
Rocket222
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I have similar set up as you do. My dir882 router has Google home mini, Chromecast, Chromecast audio, and 5 other IoT devices (incl. 2 tp-link light switches) connected. Some of them were behind a wall and a wireless subwoofer. All the devices are connected without problem. Mind you that my router has dd-wrt r42335, as I have problem with the PPTP VPN connection with latest versions. Maybe you should try out older version to see if your problem goes away.

FYI. My wifi setup
2.4GHz - NG-mixed; Wide HT40; Ch 10; Lower
5GHz - Mixed; VHT80; Ch 161; LL(-6)
SoLoR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yay! Im claming some (specially) IoT devices have issues with mt76 driver for like a year. Only answer i got was something along the lines "i tried with my super duper up to standard iphone XYZ and laptop that i just bought and its fine!" Smile What i do is try official build every couple of months to see if things are fixed with driver updates and in between using something else, that i wont mention here, because some people are touchy about the subject...

edit: also btw i know that BS cant do much with this subject since its not "his" driver he is just using it, and i appreciate effort he generally does with ddwrt development, just that "it works fine for me, since i tested it for like 5min with 2 devices, so it must be fine attitude".
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
SoLoR wrote:
What i do is try official build every couple of months to see if things are fixed with driver updates and in between using something else, that i wont mention here, because some people are touchy about the subject...

The only touchy-ness about the subject is discussions related to helping others with said other firmwares, if anything at all. I'm sure if you peruse my posts, you will find that I've discussed other firmwares on here. And I don't hide what I work with in house, just look at my signature.

Also, I tend to think that if the drivers were 100% upstream from the manufacturer, there wouldn't be an invisible driver_repository resource Wink

----------------------
mrwulf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I went back to my POS ISP router to see if there were any issues. The devices seem stable so 99% sure it's not the smart devices.

I can't really live with that or stock D-Link firmware -it's too restrictive.

I have tried putting the smart devices on their own VAP. The issue I have is the Amazon devices kick the other plugs and bulbs off, so they have to go on 5Ghz.

39296 is pretty solid wifi wise, the issue is we have an Xbox and PS4 - which won't connect.

I am tempted to ditch the DIR-882 for a Netgear R7800.

Would the netgear have the same issue?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: