How to Upgrade WHR-HP-G54 from older DD-WRT versions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
RizSher
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:28    Post subject: How to Upgrade WHR-HP-G54 from older DD-WRT versions? Reply with quote
Hello,

Search didn't get me the answer.. I initially upgraded my WHR-HP-G54 from stock to DD_WRT firmware using the instructions in the WikI, now, tring to upgrade to 210706minigeneric.bin from 152106minigeneric, and not quite sure of the steps..

1) Tftp or GUI?
2) Should I do mtd erase nvram follwed by reboot before upgrade [don't mind doing the configuration again]
3) After the bin is transferred ,do we need to erase nvram again, or hard reset by keeping the reset button pressed for 30 secs at power on?.

Thanks for your help.
Riz
Sponsor
Striker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
1) GUI
2) You don't have to do it via telnet, but you can if you want. You are supposed to reset to defaults before upgrading, esp when switching versions. Like from SP1 to SP2, I'd reset, but when I was just flashing from one nightly build of v24 to another, I never did.
3) I wouldn't do either,and I never have, but if you want to do one, go right ahead. It won't hurt to, it's just going to take a minute longer.
OpsCenter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree with Striker.

After using telnet for the initial 'micro' install, just use the GUI. There was a time when it seemed that hitting the:
After flashing, reset to [X] Default settings
wasn't doing the trick. So, resetting with a 30 second push became the vogue.

But no longer.

I believe that using the 'reset' choice in the GUI is the best way, with a restored backup after, or re-entering everything over again if the version changes more than a little bit.

OpsCenter
hyuga
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was about to ask after not finding the answer using search. I tried one final permutation before posting a new topic. Good thing I did since it yielded the answer specifically to my hardware. :-)

lHowever, I do have a question regarding which firmware to use. I am using V23 SP1 FINAL std. Since PPTP is not working for me, I want to try OpenVPN.

Should I:

1. Go with a recent SP1 VPN build.
2. Go with recent SP2 VPN build.
3. Wait for SP2 FINAL VPN build.
4. Other.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
OpsCenter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Be brave. Go with the latest.

Enjoy the ride.

Actually, I don't use VPN, so I can't say for certain (nothing on the forum says it doesn't), but if it isn't working you could contribute to getting it fixed.

OpsCenter
hyuga
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
There was a time where being in the edge was a thrill... I will go with the latest SP2 build and hope I do not get "cut."

I think the reason I cannot use PPTP is because it is not allowed to pass through the firewall in the network I am using. I read multiple postings and verified the configuration. I can connect to the PPTP server from another network. So I want to try OpenVPN.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: