Different access Wifi 2.4 and 5Ghz to local devices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
pa3fat
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 15:41    Post subject: Different access Wifi 2.4 and 5Ghz to local devices Reply with quote
Running :R41218.
WRT3200ACM

Notice sinds some time now that local devices like eg media streamers cannot be accessed via Wifi 5ghz after some time.
Initially after router reboot they can, but then access is lost.

E.g. my media streamer on 192.168.1.73 can then not be accessed via port 80.

Switching to Wifi 2.4Ghz i can access this device.

Switching back to Wifi 5Ghz i (still) cannot.

Any idea what can cause this ??

Setup:
WRT3200ACM main router and 2.5 and 5G Wifi enabled
Netgear 3700 wired to main via lAN as AP on top floor. 2.4 and 5G Wifi enabled
Asus connects to Netgear via 2.4 wifi as wireless repeater 2.4 and 5g Wifi enabled

Issue of problems reaching/detecting devices only on 5Ghz main router the WRT3200ACM.
Via all other Wifi i can detect/connect/web the devices that have issues with the WRT3200ACM.

Latest changes: month-2weeks.
Mediastreamer on .73: ARGON 2M
Wireless repeater on .95 (Asus RT-N66U in repeater) mode. Different SSID's as WRT3200ACM.

Argon had some issues via wifi last week(s). Now connected wired,can be reverted to Wifi easily if requested.
Sponsor
pbphoto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you hardwire your media server to one of your devices? I had similar issues about 2 years ago - access to the media server wasn't consistent between both radios. I hardwired it and haven't really checked on this issue since.
pa3fat
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes i can and already did.

Issue is that when using 5G Wifi on the WRT3200ACM i lose ability to connect some of these devices.
Whereas when using 2.4G Wifi i can connect to them (web access/app eg UNDOK, or Asus detection tool for the Asus router).

So this is a strange situation, that on 5G i miss some of the devices like if they are outside my network.

For all other routers/AP's in the network and their 2.4 or 5G WIFI it works ok.

So it is just on the WRT3200ACM 5G Wifi where this is occuring.
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
i would advise - post your wifi settings or we're all just guessing, scan local area see if your just unlucky and another router close by using that channel. The 3rd party wireless driver has had no development for approx 2 yrs i seem to remember reading.
pa3fat
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
All working ok, except for access to some of the devices mentioned.

Increase the leasetime of the devices in scope. That seems to improve the situation. Strange that it only affects the access via 5G Wifi. Looks like they disappear from the internal list of 5G and cannot be found with short lease times (10 min as this was convenient during intial setup). Now 1440 minutes and issue not yet reappeared.

Wifi settings have not changed since about 1-2 years. And have been working without issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: