DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
duilevw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:13    Post subject: WRT1900ac v1 Reply with quote
Hi,
I would like to install dd-wrt on a brand my WRT1900ac v1 but I did not succeed so far. It was never flashed with dd-wrt before.
I tried the latest beta image and some previous images but every time that I flashed it's then boots back to the linksys OEM firmware. Any Ideas to try will be apreciate. Thanks.
Sponsor
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 16:27    Post subject: Re: WRT1900ac v1 Reply with quote
duilevw wrote:
Hi,
I would like to install dd-wrt on a brand my WRT1900ac v1 but I did not succeed so far. It was never flashed with dd-wrt before.
I tried the latest beta image and some previous images but every time that I flashed it's then boots back to the linksys OEM firmware. Any Ideas to try will be apreciate. Thanks.

Old issue...

You need to downgrade your stock firmware first. Try Googling: "wrt1900ac v1 stock firmware download". v1.1.8 or 1.1.9 should do the trick.

And maybe the "best of the older builds" to start with, here: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311836

Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/

Last edited by Yemble on Thu Mar 07, 2019 13:07; edited 2 times in total
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 19:54    Post subject: Re: WRT1900ac v1 Reply with quote
duilevw wrote:
Hi,
Try a dd-wrt build under 32mB from early 2018.
jschlieve
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 17:09    Post subject: I am still missing something Reply with quote
Thanks for the write up, it has been very good and relatively easy to read and the part about just reboot it 3 times and it will go back to factory put me well at ease and has worked. I think I am on attempt 6ish right now in trying to get this working.

I see mainly comments about the 1900, but the link was attached to my search for the 1200ac, I assume it pretty much the same, I also saw comments that someone had worked this on a 1200ac before as well.

I am doing this via Ubuntu. I am familiar with SSH/TELNET commands.

1. I assume that the Telnet/SSH is only accessible after the dd-wrt firmware upgrade or I am doing something wrong. I have tried a few times doing SSH -l root 192.168.1.1 and telnet 192.168.1.1, both have given me an error with the stock firmware. is there something I may be missing? I ask because there is no way for me to set the partitions for the ubootenv commands. (dont beat me up about that yet, I will get back to the how to as soon as I can)

2. I remember reading that someone had used a previous version of the stock firmware in order to flash to dd-wrt. If I could be given the link to older versions of the linksys firmware I would greatly appreciate it. I assume I am not asking google correctly.

3. I have even tried to change the file name to the .img and it did not work.
slick50
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,
Here is my deal...
Partition 1 Openwrt
Partition 2 DD-wrt

I would like to upgrade DD-wrt and when I do it won't upgrade the webflash it just times out and nothing is happening.

Uploading stays at 0%

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kailen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 13:12    Post subject: Just Double Checking Reply with quote
Last time i was here i did a factory to dd-wrt can't remember which build whether it was a kong/brain slayer or beta. Currently( DD-WRT v3.0-r33006 std )

Is it safe to do an upgrade or am i better off booting back to factory partition to re-flash? I dont really want to loose my configs and i don't think that method was an options 2 years ago either. Sounds like booting back to default partition with out the reboot.

Also would the latest beta be the best choice?

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can only share my own experience. I was at BS build R36154 from June of 2018. I upgraded, choosing to retain settings, and had no problems. I am currently at the latest beta for my WRT1900ACSv2. The only problem I've had (which has been a problem for me with earlier releases) is that the Scheduled Reboot doesn't always work.

Note that my setup is vanilla--I'm not running a VPN, or anything like that. Just a 2.4, a 5, and a 2.4 virtual WiFi.

I'm at the release shown below.

ISP: Verizon Fios
NAS: ReadyNas314
awpfab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 21:39    Post subject: Troubles during install onto WRT32XB Reply with quote
I have followed the excellent walk through posted by spuriousoffspring, but the result is "Invalid firmware".

I have also tried the SCP method to get dd-wrt working on my WRT32X (technically, WRT32XB), but the result is "Image check 'platform_check_image' failed."

Neither seems to work.

I was able to easily get OpenWRT to install using the stock Linksys GUI.

I cannot find a more specific model/build number (possibly "IC: 3839A-WRT3200ACM"?).

I just purchased this unit July and had to wait for it to get re-stocked, so I believe it's the latest hardware available.

Any thoughts on what I can try to get dd-wrt installed on this WRT32XB router?
awpfab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:38    Post subject: update Reply with quote
I found a different thread that a user had a similar experience. They went to an older build; I tried that and it works!

Now for another question. Is it possible to over-write the openWRT install on partition 1? I can't seem to get that done with any firmware by using the Venom GUI running on partition 2.

-Adam
CrowB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
spuriousoffspring wrote:
As long as you are sure you have the correct firmware for your router and hardware version - it should work.
However, it seems that every now and then certain builds don't work. You may want to try first flashing to an earlier build and then try the stock firmware again.

Hope this helps and good luck!

WRT 1900AC v2 here. Current factory-to-ddwrt.bin* would not flash from Linksys OEM firmware GUI. Error message: file too large. Turn off, turn on, reset, different browser - all tried, no change. Also switched partitions, and factory reset that one. No change. Went back to 2016 factory-to-ddwrt.img** and flashed. It took the flash, or seemed to.

However, now it won't boot. Tried the on-off switch to change the partitions - and it still didn't boot. So, it's back to exploring the various forum posts and instructions sets to see if I can get it to boot.

*10-30-2019-r41418
**01-02-2016-r28647/linksys-wrt1900acv2/

Edit: seems to be bricked.
Edit2: yup. Bricked afaik. Turn on, only get blinking power light. Try to use on/off triplet to change partition - no change in apparent symptoms. Try to ping - no response.
BTW, I've done this once before - my active router is using dd-wrt. Wanted something with a bit more signal. Back to the drawing board, I guess. When I started this post, I thought I was going to report something positive - as in "this bit of advice helped me!". But, I guess it was not meant to be.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
This thread has been locked because of evolving into something it was not intended for, which is a how-to. If you need help, open a new thread.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
UPDATES:

In an effort to organize and clean-up the amount of stickies at the top of the forum, the following topics have been retired back to the forum or moved elsewhere, while adding edits to OP regarding clearing nvram and noting the first two topics:

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 6
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: