[SOLVED] New R7800 Web GUI and telnet keep dropping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
krby
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 22:03    Post subject: [SOLVED] New R7800 Web GUI and telnet keep dropping Reply with quote
I followed the instructions in the R7800 install thread, using the R7800-factory-to-ddwrt-40270.img file in that thread. I changed the password, rebooted, telnet'd in to do:
Code:
nvram erase && reboot

rebooted, changed the password again.

Before I changed any settings, WebUI and telnet keeps shutting down. Here are the symptoms:
    * Connected via Ethernet from OSX. IP settings on the Mac are static 192.168.1.9/24.
    * Plugged into one of the LAN ports (I've tried several) on the R7800
    * From power on, if point a browser at 192.168.1.1, eventually, the WebUI will stop responding within a minute, often less. I'm using Chrome 80.0.3987.163 on OSX <--- This appears to be the issue!
    * If I had a telnet session open, it will drop at the same time.
    * After this has happened, I can still ping the R7800, but can't get telnet or the browser to respond.
    * If I connect via telnet but never touch the WebUI, everything stays happy for at least 15min (running a test now), which is much longer than the WebUI will stay alive once I use it. As soon as I start using the WebUI, it all comes down.
    * If I am quick, I can get into the WebUI, change something, and hit apply. It sometimes works.

Is this a known problem? Is there a different stable build? I think I can use telnet and scp from the router to flash a new firmware from the cmdline. My planned use for this is to be just and AP, no routing. I want to have it broadcast multiple SSIDs on the same 5G channel tagging each SSID with a different VLAN (I've got this VLAN setup working already on my existing switches and router). I don't really need any other features besides those.

One more thing: When I started this morning, I mistakenly downloaded the firmware "recommended" by the supported router database, without realizing I shouldn't be using those. That was a v3 build-40559 img file. I ran into the above problem right away, but I hoped it was because I was using the wrong firmware. Using telnet and scp'ing the file from my laptop I was able to use the "back to stock Netgear" bin file in the R7800 install thread to get back to a Netgear firmware, then started the "first flash" install instructions again with that thread's recommended 40270.img file, both have the same webUI issue.[/b]

Last edited by krby on Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:30; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/03-30-2020-r42819/netgear-r7800/

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2020/03-30-2020-r42819/netgear-r7800/

I don't know what browser you are using but I use Waterfox, Pale Moon, Firefox portable Legacy (ESR 45/52).

I've never heard of that problem with Kong's r40270M.
krby
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/03-30-2020-r42819/netgear-r7800/

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2020/03-30-2020-r42819/netgear-r7800/

I don't know what browser you are using but I use Waterfox, Pale Moon, Firefox portable Legacy (ESR 45/52).

Thanks for link, was this a known issue fixed in the above build?
Re: Browser, Chrome 80.0.3987.163 on OSX.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would avoid anything Chrome or Chromium based to see if the problem disappears.

Generally, if you do firmware upgrade from GUI don't use these browsers either.

Leave the dropdown selection for "After flashing, reset to" on "Don't reset" too.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
The first flash I did on my R7800 was <Kong> 40270M, and didn't have these issues. But I didn't use Chrome, and my router browsers have no add-ons or extensions loaded, either, among other things.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
krby
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
I would avoid anything Chrome or Chromium based to see if the problem disappears.

Well, now. So far this seems to have helped. I'm still on build 40270 from the R7800 install page. Using Firefox 74.0.1 on OSX. I've been able to navigate various pages and I've successfully been able to disable the wireless radios and turn on sshd, applying each of those changes...all without crashing! Thanks!

So, really Chrome is the problem? I'll go put the Chrome details in my original post in case someone else comes searching

Quote:

Generally, if you do firmware upgrade from GUI don't use these browsers either.

Leave the dropdown selection for "After flashing, reset to" on "Don't reset" too.

Will do.

So about that 2020-03-30 build. Is it considered stable on the R7800? Anything to watch out for with it?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm running r42819 right now with no issues.

The only potential problems for you are the new in-kernel Samba (work in progress).

Also if you plan on using Client Mode, Client Bridge or WDS and create a VAP then radio interface(s) ath0/ath1 will break.

Here is the current build thread.

New Build - 03/30/2020 - r42819
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
just clean chrome cache and it will work fine, only issues i've had with chrome is it has failed to flash a few times so i never use for flashing now.
mt777
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same issue.

Webgui doesn't respond after few clicks.
Then Telnet also disconnects and only what I can do then restart router.

I checked with Kong release (40270) and the last R47000.
Erase NVram done.

Now I have OpenWRT but would like to back to DDWRT.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stop intermingling DD-WRT webUI access with your internet traffic and use private browsing or incognito mode with no extensions loaded. I have some devices the webUI stays logged in 24/7 and I rarely ever have these issues. Also, use "Save" to make changes and reboot the router. "Apply" may have unexpected results. #wemustrepeat

----------------------
mt777
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I could believe that it is browser issue but Telnet doesn't accept connection after that.

With WRT54GL+DDWRT never had such problems (which I replaced it today after years of usage)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you hit "Apply" on any network-related settings especially, there are things that have to restart... it can take 5 minutes for you to be able to reconnect. I just flashed my R7800 to the latest (47000) build yesterday morning, and several times I clicked through all of the pages, tabs, help pop-ups, etc. over the course of 24 hours without issue. Perhaps your browser cache needs to also be cleared (or you can use CTRL+F5)... I'm just amazed at everyone having all these issues with the webUI and such (that are likely not issues, perhaps it's impatience?). I generally also stay away from using Telnet since it's antiquated and insecure.

----------------------
230delphi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 21:11    Post subject: disable network.prefetch-next ? Reply with quote
I was having similar issues in firefox, setting prefetch-next to false improved things..
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is why we recommend FF ESR and other browsers that do not have prefetch of any sort enabled by default. Disabling prefetching in any browser helps (esp. Chromium-based); but also using private browsing mode and not having any add-ons or extensions loaded helps. Portable FF ESR and Pale Moon on Windows are generally my go-to browsers.

I still sometimes experience CSS load failures and random "issues", but it is the nature of the beast - you don't see me Chicken Little-ing the sh*t out of it. DD-WRT isn't stock firmware (and stock firmware actually forces a timer on you so you don't see the "glitches", anyway). Perhaps that's what needs to be implemented so people don't think there's an issue? Or maybe people need to understand what the weight of "Save" vs. "Apply" is?

Also, check setting "tcp_tw_recycle" to 0 (in "Administration->Sysctl") as it appears to solve this problem.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329948

----------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: