Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 22:03 Post subject: [SOLVED] New R7800 Web GUI and telnet keep dropping
I followed the instructions in the R7800 install thread, using the R7800-factory-to-ddwrt-40270.img file in that thread. I changed the password, rebooted, telnet'd in to do:
nvram erase && reboot
rebooted, changed the password again.
Before I changed any settings, WebUI and telnet keeps shutting down. Here are the symptoms:
* Connected via Ethernet from OSX. IP settings on the Mac are static 192.168.1.9/24.
* Plugged into one of the LAN ports (I've tried several) on the R7800
* From power on, if point a browser at 192.168.1.1, eventually, the WebUI will stop responding within a minute, often less. I'm using Chrome 80.0.3987.163 on OSX <--- This appears to be the issue!
* If I had a telnet session open, it will drop at the same time.
* After this has happened, I can still ping the R7800, but can't get telnet or the browser to respond.
* If I connect via telnet but never touch the WebUI, everything stays happy for at least 15min (running a test now), which is much longer than the WebUI will stay alive once I use it. As soon as I start using the WebUI, it all comes down.
* If I am quick, I can get into the WebUI, change something, and hit apply. It sometimes works.
Is this a known problem? Is there a different stable build? I think I can use telnet and scp from the router to flash a new firmware from the cmdline. My planned use for this is to be just and AP, no routing. I want to have it broadcast multiple SSIDs on the same 5G channel tagging each SSID with a different VLAN (I've got this VLAN setup working already on my existing switches and router). I don't really need any other features besides those.
One more thing: When I started this morning, I mistakenly downloaded the firmware "recommended" by the supported router database, without realizing I shouldn't be using those. That was a v3 build-40559 img file. I ran into the above problem right away, but I hoped it was because I was using the wrong firmware. Using telnet and scp'ing the file from my laptop I was able to use the "back to stock Netgear" bin file in the R7800 install thread to get back to a Netgear firmware, then started the "first flash" install instructions again with that thread's recommended 40270.img file, both have the same webUI issue.[/b]
Last edited by krby on Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:30; edited 3 times in total
I would avoid anything Chrome or Chromium based to see if the problem disappears.
Well, now. So far this seems to have helped. I'm still on build 40270 from the R7800 install page. Using Firefox 74.0.1 on OSX. I've been able to navigate various pages and I've successfully been able to disable the wireless radios and turn on sshd, applying each of those changes...all without crashing! Thanks!
So, really Chrome is the problem? I'll go put the Chrome details in my original post in case someone else comes searching
Generally, if you do firmware upgrade from GUI don't use these browsers either.
Leave the dropdown selection for "After flashing, reset to" on "Don't reset" too.
So about that 2020-03-30 build. Is it considered stable on the R7800? Anything to watch out for with it?