Netgear R6400 v2 and R6700v3 Install Guide

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 23:24    Post subject: Re: Telnet in the age of OSX Reply with quote
hoo-doo wrote:
Hi,

I want to try and flash my 6700v3 router and see that the telnet reset seems to be key to having success. However, the instructions for telnet enable seem to be old enough that they don't work.

Telnet doesn't even exist in recent versions of OSX - netconnect and SSH are available but I think I need a port number.

Anyway, I wanted to see if there was anyone who could give some advice how to get the nvram reset using a Mac.

Thanks!

https://osxdaily.com/2018/07/18/get-telnet-macos/

You can also install PuTTY via MacPorts / homebrew if memory serves.

Outside of that, if you can get it flashed and get into the DD-WRT webUI, you can enable ssh and then do it that way, OR, use the Administration -> Factory Defaults page.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Sponsor
CSmoke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would just use terminus. Then SSH / Telnet into DDWRT and do a nvram erase && reboot.
hoo-doo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 17:53    Post subject: Telnet in the age of OSX Reply with quote
Got telnet installed and telnetenabled running but now get stuck with "connection refused"

./telnetenable 192.168.1.1 <mac address> admin password | nc -u 192.168.1.1 23

and

./telnetenable 192.168.1.1 <mac address> admin password

behave similarly. Is it possible that the ability to telnet into the router has been removed? My firmware version is V1.0.4.84_10.0.58

Thanks!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does the stock firmware have a debug page in the webUI now? Should be www.routerlogin.net/debug.htm I believe?
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 19:15    Post subject: Re: Telnet in the age of OSX Reply with quote
hoo-doo wrote:
Hi,

I want to try and flash my 6700v3 router and see that the telnet reset seems to be key to having success. However, the instructions for telnet enable seem to be old enough that they don't work.

Telnet doesn't even exist in recent versions of OSX - netconnect and SSH are available but I think I need a port number.

Anyway, I wanted to see if there was anyone who could give some advice how to get the nvram reset using a Mac.

Thanks!

What i did on my new R6700v3 when i got it was one step:
- flash factory-to-dd-wrt-R6700v3.chk for build r41686 Using Netgear web gui.

Then after first Ddwrt boot i used the reset button on the back of the router and all is well.

My R6700v3 came with Firmware Version V1.0.3.66_10.0.50 , you might want to flash the same version if newer versions do not accept ddwrt file using Netgear web gui upgrade.
hoo-doo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
bingo!

Thanks for the tip - making progress slowly!
rkboni
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 19:57    Post subject: Beware if you're picking up a used router... Reply with quote
Just as an FYI, some of the Netgear routers are reputed to have cheap(er) flash chips, which supposedly can contribute to the development of bad blocks in the flash partitions (though I suppose this is a possibility even with grade-A flash chips).

The catch is that the stock Netgear firmware deals with these bad blocks and runs happily, whereas apparently DD-WRT (and also OpenWRT) don't and so can cause a router that runs the stock firmware perfectly fine to bomb when running DD-WRT.

EDIT: Fortunately, this didn't turn out to be my issue (see my post below about what actually caused by R6400 to "crash"), but it's been reported as an issue in the OpenWRT mailing lists / forums: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/r7800-flashing-openwrt-causes-bootloop-bad-block-in-kernel-area/49608

Just FYI.

Last edited by rkboni on Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:24; edited 1 time in total
navalhawkeye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

I have a Netgear R6700v3. I flashed r42819 via the Netgear GUI. It flashed without issue, and the interface came right up. However, I'm having an issue.

The router becomes inaccessible after a minute or 2. It remains pingable at 192.168.1.1, but can not be access via telnet or the web gui. Reboot the router and it comes back, and repeat.

I have tried flashing different firmware via the web gui and it doesn't take. It looks like it works - it uploads, and router reboots. But when the web gui comes back it's stuck on the same version. I have tried going back to the Netgear firmware, and same thing. It comes back to the same firmware as before.

Help?
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
navalhawkeye wrote:
Hello,

I have a Netgear R6700v3. I flashed r42819 via the Netgear GUI. It flashed without issue, and the interface came right up. However, I'm having an issue.

The router becomes inaccessible after a minute or 2. It remains pingable at 192.168.1.1, but can not be access via telnet or the web gui. Reboot the router and it comes back, and repeat.

I have tried flashing different firmware via the web gui and it doesn't take. It looks like it works - it uploads, and router reboots. But when the web gui comes back it's stuck on the same version. I have tried going back to the Netgear firmware, and same thing. It comes back to the same firmware as before.

Help?

From the ddwrt command line have you done: nvram erase && reboot

It will probably not help but worth a try.

It could be corrupt flash ram.

If you can return the router

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
navalhawkeye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's a year + old at this point. Flashed to try to fix an issue with a game (iRacing).

Yes, I did try the nvram erase, reboot trick prior. No such luck.
rkboni
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
navalhawkeye wrote:
Hello,

So I had this same thing happen when I first flashed DD-WRT on a new (to me) R6400. After a lot of running around, I figured out what I'd done, and it _was_ my fault. The router has now been running for almost 24hrs without issues once I stopped trying to do too many things at once....

In my case, I had two tabs open, one to my main router (IP address 192.168.1.1) and one to the new router I was flashing (also IP 192.168.1.1). They weren't connected, I just kept switching my laptop between the two wireless networks while looking at / attempting to configure the new router.

It turns out DD-WRT will disconnect and *block* your client from the admin site (as well as disconnecting you from your telnet and probably SSH sessions) if it gets too many requests to the admin site with a bad login. My guess is that if you have two DD-WRT UI's open, the auto-refresh of the UI on router1 can hit the other router when you switch networks, and if the passwords don't match up, a couple of auto-retries and *boom* you're blocked.

I didn't discover this until it happened to me in reverse, when my primary router decided to ignore me... fortunately there I should SSH out to another system on the 'net and then SSH back to the router, which was at that point logging "bad passwords, blocking IP address ...." messages.

Suggestion: start up a fresh copy of a (different) browser when configuring your new router... and obvs don't plug it into your network until you're happy with it.

Hope that helps!
hou
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Surprised
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 Display posts from previous:    Page 16 of 16
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: