SFP+ on the R9000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Fallen Kell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 15:15    Post subject: SFP+ on the R9000 Reply with quote
So I have recently done some major upgrades to my home network. Part of this is due to finally biting the bullet and building a real storage server. I have since replaced my core network switch with one that supports 1gbe, 10gbe, and 40gbe connections, with my server connected via QSFP+. Until now, I have not used the SFP+ on the R9000, but with the new switch, I have now connected it.

The reason for the VLAN trunking is so I can split up various IoT devices, some of which are on my wired network tied into the core network switch, and others are wireless. Ideally I would like to create 3 VAP (1 for a guest network, 1 for IoT devices that need internet access, and 1 for IoT devices that do not need internet access). Two of those VLANs as well as the default VLAN would need to be passed over the SFP+ port back to my core network switch for me to use properly.

This has brought up one issue that I had not previously anticipated, which is how to properly use VLAN trunking/multiple-vlan tags over the SPF+ port. I have not seen any discussion at all for this. Anyone know how to do this?
Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fallen Kell wrote:
So I have recently done some major upgrades to my home network. Part of this is due to finally biting the bullet and building a real storage server. I have since replaced my core network switch with one that supports 1gbe, 10gbe, and 40gbe connections, with my server connected via QSFP+. Until now, I have not used the SFP+ on the R9000, but with the new switch, I have now connected it.

The reason for the VLAN trunking is so I can split up various IoT devices, some of which are on my wired network tied into the core network switch, and others are wireless. Ideally I would like to create 3 VAP (1 for a guest network, 1 for IoT devices that need internet access, and 1 for IoT devices that do not need internet access). Two of those VLANs as well as the default VLAN would need to be passed over the SFP+ port back to my core network switch for me to use properly.

This has brought up one issue that I had not previously anticipated, which is how to properly use VLAN trunking/multiple-vlan tags over the SPF+ port. I have not seen any discussion at all for this. Anyone know how to do this?

Regrettably, VLAN's on the R9000 are presently not possible.

No one has been able to figure out how to make it work due to the two switch configuration the R9000 uses and the VLAN's they have to use to communicate with each other... Until some Guru can come along, I think you'll be SOL. BS has not been able to give any good guidance how to do it either, I've asked.

BrainSlayer wrote:

for the r9000 doing vlans is very complicated. the r9000 has 2 switches

so switch 1 connected to 2 ethernet phys (for wan and lan). switch 2 is connected to switch 1. so its problematic
so doing straight vlans configs is somewhat possible but not easy since i always have to pass through everything from switch 2 to switch 1
and its only operating in vlan mode or without. but i cannot combine both operation modes. and if i run vlan1 mode it will not pass packets without vlans from switch 2.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1184694#1184694

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reading through this thread, I am looking forward to tackling this beast when it finally arrives. The @#$%^&*! COVID-19 got all my mail delayed. Feels like I'm out on the high seas again Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Fallen Kell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
msoengineer wrote:
Fallen Kell wrote:

Regrettably, VLAN's on the R9000 are presently not possible.

No one has been able to figure out how to make it work due to the two switch configuration the R9000 uses and the VLAN's they have to use to communicate with each other... Until some Guru can come along, I think you'll be SOL. BS has not been able to give any good guidance how to do it either, I've asked.

BrainSlayer wrote:

for the r9000 doing vlans is very complicated. the r9000 has 2 switches

so switch 1 connected to 2 ethernet phys (for wan and lan). switch 2 is connected to switch 1. so its problematic
so doing straight vlans configs is somewhat possible but not easy since i always have to pass through everything from switch 2 to switch 1
and its only operating in vlan mode or without. but i cannot combine both operation modes. and if i run vlan1 mode it will not pass packets without vlans from switch 2.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1184694#1184694

Wow. If that is really the case, I might have to completely rethink my network and the place that the R9000 might have within it. I might just have to relegate this to strictly to trusted wireless and firewall roles and setup another wireless router for my IoT devices.
dibun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have installed the latest Netgear fw V1.0.5.14 on my R9000 and configured the VLAN's from VLAN/Bridge under advanced settings. My config is like this given below

VLAN 40,50,60
WiFi-2.4G, WiFi-5G,WiFi-60G
Guest 2.4G, 5G

I can view all interface except guest Wifi interfaces under the VLAN menu

root@R9000:/# brctl show
bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
br0 8000.b0395673c447 no ath0
ath01
ath11
eth0
ethlan
wlan0
br40 8000.b0395673c448 yes ath1
eth1.40
eth2.40
br50 8000.b0395673c448 yes eth1.50
eth2.50
br60 8000.b0395673c448 yes eth1.60
eth2.60
brwan 8000.b0395673c448 no ethwan

root@R9000:/# nvram show |grep vlan
apply_vlan=133212599822758
iptv_vlan=40
vlan_edit=133212599822758
vlan_type=1
apply_vlan_edit=62170335411
i_opmode=vlan
vlan_edit_num=1
vlan_tag_0=1 Intranet 11 0 43 30
vlan_tag_1=1 Internet 0 0 43 30
vlan_tag_2=1 Internal 40 0 0 1
vlan_tag_3=1 Kids 50 0 4 0
vlan_tag_4=1 Guest 60 0 16 0
set_vlan_tag=0
iptv_vlan_enable=1
vlan_delete=133212599822758
disable_vlan_iptv=133212599822758
enable_vlan=1
apply_vlan_add=10978004

There is no swconfig but there is vconfig command
[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used Netgear stock fw which is based on Openwrt and configured the VLANS and bridges from the UI. If it helps with the device names I can provide that.

Found these today from one of the script

# for R9000 Two Switch Design(AR8337 switch):
# Switch-A:
# sw port 0 -> Trunk to CPU(eth1)
# sw port 5 -> Trunk to CPU(eth2)
# sw port 4 -> Trunk to Switch-B sw port 0
# sw port 6 -> Trunk to Switch-B sw port 5
# sw port 3 -> WAN
# sw port 2 -> LAN1
# sw port 1 -> LAN2
# Switch-B:
# sw port 0 -> Trunk to Switch-A sw port 4
# sw port 5 -> Trunk to Switch-A sw port 6
# sw port 4 -> LAN3
# sw port 3 -> LAN4
# sw port 2 -> LAN5
# sw port 1 -> LAN6
# sw port 6 -> No Used

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have to do things in the correct order not cut off the branch you are sitting on.

Configure the switches from a client connected to Switch A (LAN1/2)

Configure Switch B first, then A. Nothing will take action before the set 'apply'

swconfig dev switch1 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch1 set apply
swconfig dev switch0 set apply

This will enable 802.1Q tagging on the switches.

By the way, where is this SFP port connected?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
That may be the 0x10 and 0x20 hardware? That would be nice to know to figure this thing out completely. Thank you for that input, Per Yngve Berg. You have been very helpful.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
dibun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
You have to do things in the correct order not cut off the branch you are sitting on.

Configure Switch B first, then A. Nothing will take action before the set 'apply'

I found out these details from the enet.sh script from the stock fw.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:

Hi Per,

I presently rely heavily on bridging in my older Netgear router running DD-WRT but I'm looking to finally upgrade to 802.11ac & have been looking closely at the R9000.

Once you run the above commands (I assume as part of a startup script), can you assign VLANs to each switch port and to each Wifi interface through the UI?

And do you know if bridging works properly (I have a bunch of bridged connections for virtual wireless networks)?
Fallen Kell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I suspect you need to add all VLAN tags that you use on the internal ports used to communicate between the two internal switches so that they have a common vlans and not isolate them from each other.

What I want to know is if anyone has figured out how to tag the SFP+ port (eth0)? I can’t believe it is as simple as creating the tagged interface devices (I.e. eth0.1 eth0.2 etc) and send anything from my core switch that I want to access the internet as vlan2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: