Is my Linksys E2000 Brick?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
duceduc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:36    Post subject: Is my Linksys E2000 Brick? Reply with quote
My Linksys E2000 was working on a 2015 build. Today, I decided to update the firmware to 42681. It successfully upgraded and I was able to log in and manually set my settings. However, once I was done with configuring the router (setting it up as a guest wifi), I noticed devices connected to it isn't getting out to the internet. Another strange thing that I noticed was under the networking tab where I create a 'br1', the old settings was still there and I figure that may be the cause of why the wifi wasn't working properly.

At any rate, I 30/30/30 the router again and reconfigure the settings once more. Only this time, when I click on the apply settings, the trouble began. I was unable to connect to the router. I have tried several times 30/30/30, unplug the router, reboot the pc. I can see the default ssid of dd-wrt. The 4 ports lights only lights up when I have the ethernet plug in. When I let Windows try to fix it, it found a problem.

Quote:
The default gateway is not available

So, is the router brick? If not, how can I connect to it? I should have left it alone in the first place, but I thought I can get more speed out of it since the firmware I had was outdated. sigh..
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really don't think a 30/30/30 is required on that one, even if per the wiki it recommends it via reset button or wps:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E2000

What are your basic network settings, do you have something besides 0.0.0.0 in the gateway box on Setup->Basic Setup under Network?

Are the ports properly assigned on the Switch Config tab?

Are all the proper interfaces assigned to br0 (vlan*, eth1, eth2)?

If you are running a K2.6 build, you don't want to update to anything newer than 42617, possibly due to an issue with dnsmasq which should be fixed in the next release.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you do not have either GUI or telnet/Putty access then you can tftp a new build.

I did it once for my E2000 when I had a similar problem, might have the instructions somewhere but they must be floating around on the web

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
duceduc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
@kernel-panic69
What are your basic network settings, do you have something besides 0.0.0.0 in the gateway box on Setup->Basic Setup under Network?
192.168.1.1 for both gateway and local DNS.

Are the ports properly assigned on the Switch Config tab?
It was left at default settings.

Are all the proper interfaces assigned to br0 (vlan*, eth1, eth2)?
That was the strange thing. After the update, I noticed in the networking tab. The br1 I create in the previous build appeared in the new build even after a 30/30/30 reset.

@egc
I did it once for my E2000 when I had a similar problem, might have the instructions somewhere but they must be floating around on the web
I will try that if there are no other easy way.

Last edited by duceduc on Fri Mar 20, 2020 21:32; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I personally do not use local DNS, but the gateway is not set to the router IP on any of my routers in the main network setup. I don't even think with multiple subnets that you really have to worry about that (?)....

----------------------
duceduc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Status Update -

I managed to fixed/unbricked my Linksys E2000 router with the same build (26125) I have originally started. I am not too sure if it was bricked in the first place.

I managed to find this Linksys E-series router fix and I didn't need a USB Serial UART connector either inorder to get back into the gui. Something weird is happening during the process of setting up the tabs. I have tried builds 42681 & 42617. Both times when I click on 'apply settings' in setup->basic->networking tab, I am locked out of the router. I cannot get back in. The only way is to use the fix above to flash back to the stock Linksys firmware and then back to a ddwrt firmware. Flashing to another ddwrt firmware didn't work. It had to be a stock Linksys firmware initially.

I got tired of picking different builds to try and using the fix to get back into gui, I revert back to (26125). So here I am, back to square one, but my router is working again. Yeah!

I suspect it's the build somewhere between 26125 and 42681. If anyone is reading this and have the Linksys E2000, what build are you using. I may just try again with a confirm working build. Another possibility is that the nvram isn't being clear 100%? I use the 30/30/30 rule reset and I noticed the 'br1' settings I use to create the guest wifi shows up after a firmware update. I have attached an image in my pervious post as reference. However, I do not think that is the case, because when I revert back to build (26125), 'br1' still shows up and it has a weird '>' sign I have never used before.

But, this build seem to work even after clicking on the 'apply settings', I was able to log back in and the guest wifi is working as it should be.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doing a 30/30/30 on that router is likely unnecessary, even as old as that router is (That wiki needs to be reviewed). At most, all you should need to do is go to Administration -> Factory Defaults and reset to factory defaults and let it reboot. Even with the flash size limitations per the wiki, you should be able to upgrade to K3.x @ 42729, but I wouldn't try the K2.6 build until the next release as dnsmasq is broken on K2.6 builds currently.

----------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: