Attaching external antenna to a Linksys e2500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
HCFarmer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 15:11    Post subject: Attaching external antenna to a Linksys e2500 Reply with quote
I would like to attach an external antenna to my Linksys e2500. It has two 2.4 GHz antennas inside the case from the factory. I was planning on de-soldering one of the antennas and adding the coax for the external antenna. My question is, can I run both the external antenna, and the factory antenna at the same time, or will they possibly have conflicts with each other? I guess the biggest concern is the impedance of the two causing issues. The external antenna will be a Yagi tuned for 2.4 GHz.
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
RF engineering not being my favorite subject...

It depends... I think you pointed out the main difference the impedance (and its possible mismatch). The system may not be tuned to your external antenna, but from a general sense, it should not matter because the signal is going over a path but one side may need to draw more current than the other side (due to the difference in resistances/impedance). So one antenna could be stronger than the other.

The aspect to think about is that the internal electronics may have been designed for one impedance (the internal antennas) and now you are changing to a different ones that it was not designed for, so it could take more/less power to get the same result, this could be outside of the specs of what it can handle.
HCFarmer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. Impedance was what I was concerned with. I don't want the transmit circuits to see to little impedance and get cooked. My main reason to try and keep the internal antenna, and Yagi is that I want to be able to use the e2500 as a repeater and have it talk with my Smartphone as well as being able to pick up distant signals. Guess Ill have to hit the books and determine what the impedance of both internal, and Yagi is.

Many thanks again.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I put external antenna connectors on couple E1200v2 several years back for long distance WDS link.
All in all it WASN'T WORTH the trouble at all and NOT very good.
Better to get a router with external antenna connections. I use the WRT160NL and the E2100L and they or much much better.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are external antenna kits that go up to 9db gain on Amazon.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: