mt76 driver performance

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
SoLoR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Last time i tried build with mt76 (offical) was just after NY and it was not good, could not set custom 5ghz channels, could not set HT20/40 dynamic on 2.4ghz, performance was slugish, but considering offical build never worked for me since driver change (clients couldnt connect, etc etc) it was an improvment, now at least works somewhat... I did not try your build yet, while i usually update like once/week, when i saw you updated driver i stayed away, because its not 2min job, but like half an hour, since when there is such a major change, i do clear eeprom and all settings from the start... there was a plan to do this today/tomorrow, since ill have some time...

edit: last time i was trying offical build, i even went that far to compile my own openwrt build with dir878 patches, to see if its generally mt76 fault or specifically dd-wrt, however that didnt go well since i coldnt make webui working and setting up whole router with shell just didnt feel like doing so i gave up after couple of hours and rebuilding openwrt 2-3 times... Smile
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
As far as I know, if you don't have access to the driver_repository (what is on svn.dd-wrt.com does not include that repo AFAIK), you aren't going to know, unless BS is dropping binary blobs like he does with Broadcom?
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it's logged in the automatic commits of the driver_repository_log, it is not public 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999 times out of 100. He may post some things in the public kernel trees, but there are things that are not public. Essentially, it is violating the same GPL that he's accused others of doing. I could've already ported every new MediaTek-based device request in the past two years if this were not the case. This is just my perspective on this. I may be totally off-base and wrong, but 20+GB of code repo is a little cumbersome when it is completely unnecessary to be that size.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
SoLoR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok spend couple (~2) hours today between your build and offical latest beta released today. Good news is i dont see any difference in what is working and what is not...

While there clearly more things that work then even ~2 months ago, driver is still crap :/

2.4Ghz: lets say what ever i tried to set it went well, custom channel, 20/40mhz/dynamic, what bugged me is, my standard channel is 10 and if i do for example dynamic (20&40 mhz band), it picks 10+3 and because obviously extension channel is to high, wifi doesnt work, however if you change channel to 8 (or lower) its fine. And you cant set extension channel on your own, like you can on 5ghz

5ghz: things seems to more or less work as expected, if i dont pick up band over 80mhz Smile If i pick up band 160 or 80+80, wifi stops working, but meh i would tolerate that for now...

Now bigger issue are connected devices, while i didnt notice any problems with devices connecting to wifi (big improvment over couple of months ago), there are huge issues with some devices that are connected, connection works in only one direction, packetloss etc etc

for example: i have orangepi on wifi and desktop computer on wired connection. From my desktop computer i cant ping my orangepi, but i can ping printer that is also on wifi. But i CAN ping my desktop computer from orangepi and cant ping printer on same wifi... I mean weirdest behavior ever... also often there is packetloss and it feels like WiFi devices go in to somekind of sleep, because if you dont use direct connection for few minutes and you start ping after you clearly see first ~5 pings lost and then it starts "working"...

After 2 hours i said enough is enough and installed @broly latest build before mt76, restored settings and called it a day... gonna try again in ~2 months if something improves Smile
SoLoR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
broly wrote:
so essentially my build and BS' build (for mt76) are indiscernable in terms of performance/problems?

i think my issue with DHCP is similar to your issue. it's not that i cannot connect to the router on 5ghz. i can. but once i do i can't even get a DHCP address. but that is no different from the erratic issues you've been experiencing as well.

Yes, they are have same problems Smile Didnt test much of a performance, because if i have issues with orangepi and printer on wifi, its not even worth the effort to test anything else. I mean that orangepi thing is most wierd thing i saw, ping working in one direction and not in other... I think mt76 driver have issues with certain clients with certain wifi chip manufactures... Because im pretty sure some devices (phones) where working just fine, however little i used them...
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
i tested today psk2 and psk3 with 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz on a dir 882. with vht80 and vht160 on 5 ghz and ht20 and ht40 on 2.4 ghz. all working with my iwlwifi based lenovo laptop and my iphone 7. i do not support any homebrew builds and i do not want any bug reports regarding any homebrew builds in my bug tracker.

and i especially ignore people who are writing into this forum using different account names and spamming my private email account with emails using different changing names and email accounts

Navigation

Jump to: