New Build 42054: 01-21-2020-r42054

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
CantRepeat wrote:

I for one appreciate an open exchange of ideas and information.

According to your sig you are running 18.06.5 and not the current release of 19.07 on your 3200. Any reason why you're not running current stable?

My signature isn't up-to-date. Nor does it list everything I have my hands on personally and otherwise. I would probably need more room.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:

Somehow I have fairly involved configs on six of them, with no significant issues without easy workarounds. I never really got QoS down, and the one time I tried access restrictions, that didn't go well. But otherwise things have been fine... for all six.

But I've heard so many awful stories in the new-build threads! Most have been about other WRT models, so either the WRT1900ACSv2 is some kind of sweet spot in the modern WRT line, or my paranoia about selecting builds to flash has paid off, or somehow I just got really lucky. I just don't know! I do know that I've heard enough that I'd never buy any of the other WRT models. I figured that out maybe a year ago. If I had to time travel back and start from scratch all over again, I'd go for an R7800, even if just to get BS's full attention when things go south.

The 'crap-shoot' factor is the problem. No matter how generic or complex a config is, the need for something that works is ideal, and something that doesn't require a 3-hour monkey-football show. The first Marvell I had hands on I picked up from another forum member, and it was bricked. I figured I would give OpenWRT a whirl with it, and I haven't been too disappointed with what I have put it through and tried and tested. The only one in my signature that stays up when I'm not flashing a new test build for it is my R7000 these days.

For the record, I am not trying to be toxic. I am trying to understand why there are open bug reports and feature requests that are 11 years or so old, that only God may know if any of them have ever been fixed or implemented, etc., and why do we have to still use workarounds. Why not focus on fixing things and security patches. I guess it's just my alphabet soup that just can't wrap my brain around the way things are 'developed' here.

----------------------
ttowling
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
ttowling wrote:
So after a few days the radios started having problems, particularly on my android phone I use to do speed tests. (I've found that certain bands chosen under auto settings in WiFi give terrible results).
I'm out for the time being and trying OpenWRT instead.

Thanks for the effort.

"After a few days" raises my eyebrow. When I hear that from a WRT1900ACSv2 user, I immediately think of temperature. You might want to try again with the router cooled with a USB fan. Two of my six became flakey before I put all of them on fans. No odd behavior since. And I've heard similar from three or four other users of this router model.

Running fine on an OpenWRT snapshot, and the latency is better ("Wifi has the AMSDU option disabled. This keeps latency low for the 1200ac/1900acx models")

The answer to buggy software isn't to stick a fucking fan on it.. in January.. in Northern Europe.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, in that case put a towel on it.

How far back did your wifi issues go?

I'm still on r41813 (12/29).
ttowling
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Well, in that case put a towel on it.

How far back did your wifi issues go?

I'm still on r41813 (12/29).

The build of 11-11-2019 was pretty stable.. so after that.

Honestly - I'm getting 25ms - 20ms latency now on AC, so I'm not going back.

Life is too short.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
ttowling wrote:
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
ttowling wrote:
So after a few days the radios started having problems, particularly on my android phone I use to do speed tests. (I've found that certain bands chosen under auto settings in WiFi give terrible results).

Thanks for the effort.

"After a few days" raises my eyebrow. When I hear that from a WRT1900ACSv2 user, I immediately think of temperature. You might want to try again with the router cooled with a USB fan. Two of my six became flakey before I put all of them on fans. No odd behavior since. And I've heard similar from three or four other users of this router model.

Running fine on an OpenWRT snapshot, and the latency is better ("Wifi has the AMSDU option disabled. This keeps latency low for the 1200ac/1900acx models")

The answer to buggy software isn't to stick a fucking fan on it.. in January.. in Northern Europe.

Why are the forums turning so negative? We spread snark easily and sometimes get so nasty that we drive off regular contributors. I don't see the point.

A fan is to compensate for a weak hardware design, in this case one right on the margin, a well known issue with this model. I gather that some earlier WRTs have internal fans, but this one does not. Whether it operates at a barely OK temp or a barely not-OK temp is going to depend on room temp (unless you are one of those hardy northern Europeans who keeps his equipment outside just so he can check it on the way to a brisk swim in the lake), system load, and yes, possibly the software. But it doesn't have to be buggy to run a smidgen too warm. Yes, our builds generally have bugs, but buggy or not buggy was not what the issue in this case.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
scar1943
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
ttowling wrote:
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
ttowling wrote:

Thanks for the effort.

Why are the forums turning so negative? We spread snark easily and sometimes get so nasty that we drive off regular contributors. I don't see the point.

A fan is to compensate for a weak hardware design, in this case one right on the margin, a well known issue with this model. I gather that some earlier WRTs have internal fans, but this one does not. Whether it operates at a barely OK temp or a barely not-OK temp is going to depend on room temp (unless you are one of those hardy northern Europeans who keeps his equipment outside just so he can check it on the way to a brisk swim in the lake), system load, and yes, possibly the software. But it doesn't have to be buggy to run a smidgen too warm. Yes, our builds generally have bugs, but buggy or not buggy was not what the issue in this case.

Supriseditworks,

I agree. There is a lot of negativity, and its unfortunate.

I've been running a WRT3200ACM V1 for years now. Flawless... Now that statement has conditions. I also, have a cooling fan on my router. Made a drastic difference. My router does occasionally soft brick on the occasional defective firmware version. But otherwise, its been flawless as long as you know how to tweak the unit, and LEAVE IT ALONE when you get a working setup. Don't expect miracles out of this hardware. Don't over exert the abilities. KISS mode always (Keep It Simple Stupid).

My system is simple, but still making use of the hardware and firmware. USB/SAMBA server, VPN client, and 2 wireless channels active with the third "monitor" radio disabled. I've not had any issues, the router has worked flawlessly the last dozen or so firmware versions.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:

You would have to do quite a bit of research into this project and forum history. For one, we no longer have but one moderator who randomly peruses through the forum these days. For pre-one, there have been a lot of folks who have come and gone who actively participated in development directly. You have to look into the why. I try to do what I can when I see things that may not look right or when people report issues and get told I'm essentially an idiot (part of that German male charm...) and I have been in and out of the C language for over 20 years, same goes for Linux in general. Now, I'm not quite like Broly, trash talker extraordinaire and l33t h4ck3r (whatever Rolling Eyes ), but if I see something that don't make sense to me... well. Anyway, if I seem toxic, I am not trying to be. I can always opt-out and lurk and not say anything. That's perfectly fine with me. I'm too old to give two cents about it either way. /sorrynotsorry

----------------------
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
SurprisedItWorks wrote:

You would have to do quite a bit of research into this project and forum history. For one, we no longer have but one moderator who randomly peruses through the forum these days. For pre-one, there have been a lot of folks who have come and gone who actively participated in development directly. You have to look into the why. I try to do what I can when I see things that may not look right or when people report issues and get told I'm essentially an idiot (part of that German male charm...) and I have been in and out of the C language for over 20 years, same goes for Linux in general. Now, I'm not quite like Broly, trash talker extraordinaire and l33t h4ck3r (whatever Rolling Eyes ), but if I see something that don't make sense to me... well. Anyway, if I seem toxic, I am not trying to be. I can always opt-out and lurk and not say anything. That's perfectly fine with me. I'm too old to give two cents about it either way. /sorrynotsorry

FWIW, I don't see you as part of the problem. More like just naturally a little rough edged, which is fine. That you mean well is plenty apparent, and that's all it takes. We don't need to be Ghandi, just civil and tolerant of those with less experience. (For me there are a lot of those, as I first wrote in C nearly 38 years ago - RAWR! - and first installed Unix and became system administrator for it two years later. My problem any more is just trying to remember what I used to know!)

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
FWIW, I don't see you as part of the problem. More like just naturally a little rough edged, which is fine. That you mean well is plenty apparent, and that's all it takes. We don't need to be Ghandi, just civil and tolerant of those with less experience. (For me there are a lot of those, as I first wrote in C nearly 38 years ago - RAWR! - and first installed Unix and became system administrator for it two years later. My problem any more is just trying to remember what I used to know!)

This was me when I first came here, as I had been away from anything UNIX or Linux for a number of years. Trying to remember and re-learn a few things. I have always had some degree of expectation that things work given past experience (and learning just how masochistic Slackware could be). A lot of things have evolved for the better (and worse), it seems. Still not sure how I feel about some changes to Linux in general, but it is what it is. I just know that over the past couple of years, I've grown to dislike subversion and the way the development tree of this firmware project is organized. Even OpenWRT is a little easier to comprehend for me, but I digress. /off-topic!

----------------------
Ellick1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Anyway, if I seem toxic, I am not trying to be. I can always opt-out and lurk and not say anything.

I got outright accused of being toxic and unhelpful in here Apparently because I drew the line at not buying different hardware better suited to dd-wrt or shipping my tablet to Germany. I simply took your opting-out one step farther and chose to get off the dd-wrt beta train.

I went back to using openwrt and installed the latest david 502 snapshot build of version 19.07.

With the same "junk hardware", my WRT1900acs v1 and tablet that can crash dd-wrt's httpd, I now have no problems at all. Wireless is a bit faster, real world wireless signal on my most distant roku TV went from "good" on dd-wrt" to "excellent". QoS is more stable and I've been up over 10 days now without any loss of GUI.

For anyone else considering a switch, I still think dd-wrt is way easier to use and the interface is totally different. I switched to dd-wrt in the first place because I couldn't figure out how to get my vpn to work on openwrt. I've since done that but have yet to figure out PBR. Easier or newer doesn't mean better though.

If people enjoy installing the newest router builds like a hobby then that's cool too.

Bottom line is people should use whatever they like the best that does the job.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
LuCI is a little more forgiving for your antique Tablet, I presume. I wish I knew what exactly was borking things for you in DD, but it's good you found something that works for you. If OpenWRT would try to borrow and incorporate some things from here to provide better Broadcom support, that would be great. Only choices are DD and FreshTomato for Broadcom to work worth a crap, unfortunately.

----------------------
ttowling
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update. It's not overheating now. The latency issue is fixed, see resolution above, and it's stable.
It's just a shame that's not on DD-WRT.
Be honest; all this bullshit about 'toxic' and 'snark' is jpearl-clutching nonsense. We are all here because we are interested in routers. Most people aren't.
And as for 'keeping it simple stupid', I did, and it doesn't work. And maybe, if there's a feature, beta or not, there should be an aspiration for that feature to work? So who needs to keep it simple? Me, or the developer?

(Edit - and listen to Ellick1, he actually knows what he's talking about, even if he does need a new tablet).
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
ttowling wrote:
all this bullshit about 'toxic' and 'snark' is pearl-clutching nonsense.
Yeah, it would be if it were just blowing off steam. But when it drives people, not just delicate snowflakes but actual real tech people, out of our tiny community, it ceases to be just clutching of pearls on the way to the fainting couch. As a group we are getting smaller and smaller, esp here in Marvell land. We need these people who, for some unfathomable reason, are willing to invest time and energy into keeping the Marvell path at least somewhat viable. Driving them off or getting so ragged that there's risk of same is not a good thing.

(Damn! Said too much again!)

WENED
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK children, enough is enough. We all get offended at times and even offend, it is the nature of our "Bits & Bytes" way of seeing the world. I too have made some suggestions in the past and it was taken offensively. It happens, move on, there is more important stuff here to be of concern. I have been with WRT's since the old 54g days and this forum has been an incalculable asset. Although I have a lot of old school experience, it is a new world with so much more to consider. I started programming and servicing when the method was plugging jumpers on a breadboard and progressed through multiple languages over the years. Although I did slow down a few years back, my youngest boy(50) convinced me to help him out with a few projects using VS. I was shell shocked at how much the industry has changed. Much now is automated and getting down to machine language is almost a forgotten art. Before people get their backs up over the development of router software, they need to know that this work is being done on a high level programming language and not at a machine level. Many of the problems encountered may only be resolved by re-coding at the lowest level, which is why the oem driver supplied by Lynksys has limitations. When I was a mainframe specialist, when a driver would not work properly we would fix themachine level code. In today's environment with so many variation to hardware it only stands to be that not every assembly module can suit every piece of hardware. So comes the workarounds. Case in point, one of the projects I am developing works fine on my AMD based systems but crashes on Intel based systems. Had to revise the code to make it compatible. That being said, consider the wrt line which has quite a bit of variations in hardware, so one shoe does not necessarily fit all. As for current problems with WRT's they all have workarounds. I am currently running the most recent Beta and find it most stable I ahve ever used. I still get gui loss but I suspect it may have something to do with all the changes being done to all the browsers and BS has difficulty keeping up. Not a big deal for me as I simply Telnet in and restart Httpd. I occasionally lose one router on remote and suspect it is because of the hardware attached which needs constant internet access and somehow is overloading the router causing a reboot. One device in particular (V380 Camera) when connected is almost a guarantee that I will lose the router at least every 12 hours. So lets not discourage the users in forum with petty bickering and get back to finding workarounds for this brave new online world.
Ath1 2.4Ghz Disabled
99 Static Leases
ExpressVPN

WRT3200acm r55819 WDS Station 5Ghz
Ath1 AP N/G Mixed Channel 11 HT40

WRT1900Ac V1 5Ghz r55819 WDS Station
(Defective, no 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz works great)

WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS Station r55819
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT1900ACS SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC SPARE r54914
WRT1900AC V1 5Ghz AC 80Mhz WDS-AP r55819
2.4Ghz AP Ch1 HT20 Mixed

WRT54G DD-WRT v3.0-r37305 micro AP CH 6 Mixed - Not in use

3200 Master -> LAN -> 1900ACS -> WDS 5Ghz -> 1900 V1
3200 Master -> WDS -> 3200 Slave & 1900V1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: