Home Network Monitoring, Assessment, Reporting, etc

Robnw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 22:26    Post subject: Home Network Monitoring, Assessment, Reporting, etc Reply with quote
I'm just getting started on this quest so looking for any general advice (or specific) on where to look, what to consider, etc.

I have a simple home DD-WRT network (archer C7 v2 hard-wired to my cable modem, everything connects wirelessly to the archer) and am interested in doing some simple monitoring of the network, I think but I could be wrong, I'm looking for something beyond the reporting that DD-WRT status can show me. I'm interested in such things as local LAN speed (ideally, something to indicate if it's performing well or poorly), WAN speed (up and down), historically connected devices (ideally, showing how often they connect and for how long), works with guest networks (i.e, can isolate out that traffic), and probably other things as I think through this some more.

I guess this might require multiple tools, though fewer and integrated is better.

I'm not looking to be anal about this, I'm thinking something I might check once a month, and I'm not paranoid but am interested in periodically blocking devices that I don't recognize.

My main goal at this time is to do what I can to simply maintain a healthy environment.

I appreciate any and all help, guidance, suggestions.

Thanks.
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Look up Yamon, that is going to do some, but the rest can be more of a challenge.

For example, what do you consider LAN or WAN speed? The negotiated hardware speed or the throughput or even what rate you are paying for. Then on speed it depends on what site you are connected to as well, each can be different. Your wireless network speed can vary based on wireless traffic or interference, or even battery powersave mode.
Robnw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
Look up Yamon, that is going to do some, but the rest can be more of a challenge.

For example, what do you consider LAN or WAN speed? The negotiated hardware speed or the throughput or even what rate you are paying for. Then on speed it depends on what site you are connected to as well, each can be different. Your wireless network speed can vary based on wireless traffic or interference, or even battery powersave mode.

Thank you. I'll take a look at Yamon.

Re: speed, throughput is the main interest now. I'm mostly interested in LAN speed. I have often wondered if my setup is performing at par or sub par.
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Robnw wrote:
Wildlion wrote:

Re: speed, throughput is the main interest now. I'm mostly interested in LAN speed. I have often wondered if my setup is performing at par or sub par.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Al

If you use and like YAMon and have not done so recently, please consider making a donation - thanks!
YAMon GitHub Repository
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Robnw wrote:
Wildlion wrote:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Al

If you use and like YAMon and have not done so recently, please consider making a donation - thanks!
YAMon GitHub Repository
Robnw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having some trouble installing Yamon. I can run the wget command on the router and it appears to download the install.sh file into /tmp, but the subsequent CP command fails (without error in Putty but if I try using WinSCP to copy install.sh from my PC I get error code 4). Any thoughts?

Could be that I don't know Linux well enough.
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Robnw wrote:
I am having some trouble installing Yamon. I can run the wget command on the router and it appears to download the install.sh file into /tmp, but the subsequent CP command fails (without error in Putty but if I try using WinSCP to copy install.sh from my PC I get error code 4). Any thoughts?

Could be that I don't know Linux well enough.

Where are you trying to copy the file? To /opt?
Error code 4 could mean that /opt is read-only

Do you have a USB drive attached to your router? If no, you need one.
If yes, is it mounted to /opt? Check by going to the DD-WRT Admin UI-->Services-->USB

Al

YAMon GitHub Repository
Robnw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aha. No, I don't have a USB attached. How big does the USB need to be, and how does that affect the CP command?

I was following this page: http://usage-monitoring.com/v4Install+Validate.php

Is there another I should be following?

Rob
Robnw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ignore my USB questions. I found the USB info under the v3.4.7 setup. I'll try to complete the setup tonight.
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Robnw wrote:
Aha. No, I don't have a USB attached. How big does the USB need to be, and how does that affect the CP command?

I was following this page: http://usage-monitoring.com/v4Install+Validate.php

Is there another I should be following?

Rob

Rob - I have updated the instructions on that page to include the following:

* confirm that you have write permissions in `/opt/`
ls -laL "/opt" | grep ' .$'

You should see something like:

drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 1024 Jan 3 12:07

If you are missing a `w` in the third character of the output above - e.g., `dr-xr-xr-x` , you do *not* have write permission in that folder and cannot continue the steps below until you've fix this issue.

Does that help at all?

YAMon GitHub Repository
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Robnw wrote:
Ignore my USB questions. I found the USB info under the v3.4.7 setup. I'll try to complete the setup tonight.

Ah, then you can ignore my reply to your ignored question Smile

Thanks for pointing out the gap in the instructions (and for your persistence!)

Al

YAMon GitHub Repository
Robnw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your help Al. I got it installed. The main issue was not having the USB attached. Once I partitioned the USB (on another machine), attached it, then set up DD-WRT to recognize it, I was able to perform the install. I did have a secondary issue in that /opt/install.sh didn't have the correct permission (even after running chmod a couple of times), but I fixed that in WinSCP.

Rob
Robnw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Al, I get the error "users_created is not defined... there is likely an error in your users.js" and no devices appear in the devices tab.

And I get the following warning/errors in the browser console:

A cookie associated with a cross-site resource at http://usage-monitoring.com/ was set without the `SameSite` attribute. A future release of Chrome will only deliver cookies with cross-site requests if they are set with `SameSite=None` and `Secure`. You can review cookies in developer tools under Application>Storage>Cookies and see more details at https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5088147346030592 and https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5633521622188032.

Uncaught SyntaxError: Invalid regular expression flags index.html:3
at m (jquery.min.js:2)
at Function.globalEval (jquery.min.js:2)
at text script (jquery.min.js:2)
at Ut (jquery.min.js:2)
at k (jquery.min.js:2)
at XMLHttpRequest.<anonymous> (jquery.min.js:2)

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'cg' of undefined yamon4.0.js?_=1580272130050:429
at yamon4.0.js?_=1580272130050:429
at Array.forEach (<anonymous>)
at Object.<anonymous> (yamon4.0.js?_=1580272130050:417)
at u (jquery.min.js:2)
at Object.fireWith [as resolveWith] (jquery.min.js:2)
at k (jquery.min.js:2)
at XMLHttpRequest.<anonymous> (jquery.min.js:2)

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'group' of undefined util4.0.js?_=1580272130049:1551
at byGN (util4.0.js?_=1580272130049:1551)
at Array.sort (<anonymous>)
at setDailyTab (yamon4.0.js?_=1580272130050:1072)
at loadView (yamon4.0.js?_=1580272130050:606)
at HTMLElement.<anonymous> (util4.0.js?_=1580272130049:386)
at HTMLElement.dispatch (jquery.min.js:2)
at HTMLElement.y.handle (jquery.min.js:2)

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'id' of undefined yamon4.0.js?_=1580272130050:1208
at yamon4.0.js?_=1580272130050:1208
at Array.forEach (<anonymous>)
at setMonthlyTab (yamon4.0.js?_=1580272130050:1207)
at loadView (yamon4.0.js?_=1580272130050:613)
at HTMLElement.<anonymous> (util4.0.js?_=1580272130049:386)
at HTMLElement.dispatch (jquery.min.js:2)
at HTMLElement.y.handle (jquery.min.js:2)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: