SOLVED Switching from Kong to BS results in bufferfload high

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
giuliomagnifico
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 17:59    Post subject: SOLVED Switching from Kong to BS results in bufferfload high Reply with quote
Hi,
I’m trying to switching from the latest Kong to BS, everything is almost good (except from a weird WAN but where I get the ip and all work but sometimes the internet is unreachable without reason) but the very big trouble is with QoS because something is messed up, I get a super high bufferfload in DSLreports (F), is like something is stucked/broken, from the logs nothing help (only the httpd 401 error). If I switch back to Kong build the bufferbload is low again.

The only fix I found is to reset the router and test again it but I don’t want to insert manually all the QoS rules... if I import a backup, the bug reappears!

Maybe someone know something more about this bug?

Thanks

Last edited by giuliomagnifico on Wed Jan 22, 2020 13:03; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which BS build revision are you using... and what router? This might help us help you.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
giuliomagnifico
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh sorry, I’m using the last build (r42015) on a Netgear R7800.
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which boxes are checked?

When BS changed up Q.o.S. several months ago, having all of the boxes checked could cause issues. I only use ACK now as checked and all others are unchecked. You can also look at my signature for the priorities used for the various ports.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
giuliomagnifico
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
No boxes are checked, here's a screenshot of my setting (on Kong's build all works and the latency/BB is low): https://imgur.com/a/cNah2Rk

Kong build (is not the best speedtest, only a test)

BS build installed over Kong build

Looks like the QoS settings are not respected/bypassed Confused
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Make sure Shortcut forward engine is not turned on the main setup tab. Also, make sure your limits are 90-92.5% of your provisioned speed.

You should be using HTB+FQ_Codel or HFSC+FQ_Codel
or the FQ_Fast. Cake is not implemented well yet.
Also check the ACK box.

Lastly, on a side note, I recall seeing on SVN there was a bug with cake and SFE so make sure you are on the latest alpha build...

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
giuliomagnifico
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay I changed the QoS settings, switched off the SFE and then upgrade to last BS build r42015 but now I can't get the connection. The WAN has the correct IP, nothing seems wrong, no error in syslog but I can't open any web page, sometimes the connection went up for few seconds and then off again.

Maybe the only way is to set up again the router from scratch with BS build...
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeahuh you prolly might redo it from scratch

my 50/50 connection with da EA8500 using r42015
HFSC CAKE -- SFE disbaled ... and I know there is other traffic + one Netflix going
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/58768574

---
damn dlsreports.com images are broke again Rolling Eyes
edit: I see dslreports.com got their junk sorted now Wink

Last edited by mrjcd on Wed Jan 22, 2020 0:43; edited 1 time in total
giuliomagnifico
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmm I tried to set up the router from scratch but I failed, don't know why but all worked great with ehternet devices, a very low bufferbload with HFSC and CAKE but...but no wireless device was able to connect to internet Shocked the connection with the wifi and router was fine, I was able to browse the router and local network but not to "get out" from my local network. This is a very curious behavior. So I went back to kong build and it works again!
giuliomagnifico
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Weeellll, I tried the latest r42054 just now... aaaand all work great without reset and nothing else Cool wifi devices can browse the internet, the QoS work without touching anything and all is fine. At the first minutes I get two "undefined" setting under the Queuing Discipline in QoS (CAKE and FQ CODEL FAST) but after some minutes the voices/names are back with their names.

That's incredibile! So I thinks it was not my trouble but the trouble is the build r42015 that has something wrong, I think with QoS and/or WAN passthrough Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: