WRT32X slow WiFi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
fcld
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:28    Post subject: WRT32X slow WiFi Reply with quote
Brand new to DD-WRT but I live in China, where the Internet is heavily censored, so I wanted to setup my own vpn router with Astrill. 

I have the Linksys Wrt32x (actual model is wrt32x-cn) and have flashed the latest version of dd-wrt but my WiFi speeds are abysmally slow (with astrill unconnected). My LAN speed is normal (100 mb) yet WiFi is either 1 mb or 20 mb on two of the channels and doesn't even connect on the third - and this is with me sitting right next to the router.

I've flashed several different versions and all have the same results. I've tried switching to 80 hz as per advice on here, but that makes the remaining 5Ghz SSID disappear completely.

Hoping someone can help me, as I've been at this for two days now and am on the verge of launching this thing out of the window 😁 

Thanks a lot 
Sponsor
ttowling
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:21    Post subject: Re: WRT32X slow WiFi Reply with quote
fcld wrote:
Brand new to DD-WRT but I live in China, where the Internet is heavily censored, so I wanted to setup my own vpn router with Astrill. 

I have the Linksys Wrt32x (actual model is wrt32x-cn) and have flashed the latest version of dd-wrt but my WiFi speeds are abysmally slow (with astrill unconnected). My LAN speed is normal (100 mb) yet WiFi is either 1 mb or 20 mb on two of the channels and doesn't even connect on the third - and this is with me sitting right next to the router.

I've flashed several different versions and all have the same results. I've tried switching to 80 hz as per advice on here, but that makes the remaining 5Ghz SSID disappear completely.

Hoping someone can help me, as I've been at this for two days now and am on the verge of launching this thing out of the window 😁 

Thanks a lot 

What regulatory domain have you got it set to?

Not an expert on what bands are permitted in China, but the CN version might have hardware differences that mean it won't broadcast on some channels?

Have you split 2.4/5 GHz?
fcld
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for replying.

I set it to China already, which seemed to make no difference.

The router set up three SSIDs - is that normal? To be honest, I was tinkering with it so much yesterday that I forgot what changes I made, and I'm not home right now. I remember that none of my devices would connect whatsoever to the 5Ghz-only network.

Do you have any advice on what the best setup would be regarding the SSIDs and their frequencies please? I should probably just reset the thing and start from scratch.

I installed the Astrill applet and would ideally like one SSID to run solely on that and the other untouched.

Thank you so much Razz
fcld
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Forgot to mention - I downloaded the WiFi Analyser app and chose the channels it suggested, to not much avail. My previous router (Xiaomi Pro) always ran at 100 mb download speeds no matter which channel it was set to.
fcld
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I solved the problem in the end - I returned the router and bought a Netgear R6400 with Merlin pre-installed, which works flawlessly Rolling Eyes
ttowling
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
fcld wrote:
I solved the problem in the end - I returned the router and bought a Netgear R6400 with Merlin pre-installed, which works flawlessly Rolling Eyes

Ha. Quitter.

Might have been because it set itself to a higher 5GHz band.. my OnePlus doesn't like the higher ones. Goes down to 4mbps from 70.
fcld
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Haha I know. I'm not normally one for giving up on this sort of thing but I thought after three days it was time to throw in the towel. I'm not sure if it was the DD-WRT firmware that was causing the issues or not as I never actually tested the router with the factory firmware.

As a side note, I recently did some work for OnePlus, so it's possible you read the words I wrote for the OS on a daily basis Cool
ttowling
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
fcld wrote:
Haha I know. I'm not normally one for giving up on this sort of thing but I thought after three days it was time to throw in the towel. I'm not sure if it was the DD-WRT firmware that was causing the issues or not as I never actually tested the router with the factory firmware.

As a side note, I recently did some work for OnePlus, so it's possible you read the words I wrote for the OS on a daily basis Cool

So was 5GHz WiFi something they used to cut costs on the 6T? my laptop can cope with the other bands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: