What is wrong with QoS ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
NinthWave
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 22:49    Post subject: What is wrong with QoS ??? Reply with quote
IIRC, Brain Slayer does not care about QoS and yet, since a few releases back, cake has been added and one can see now and then that some of us manage to have it working.

In my case, it worked for a while with HTB\FQ_Codel but if I reboot the router or after a power outlet, it messes with my router.

I just tried with Cake and it did not work either. As soon as I hit "apply settings", the router can't communicate with any devices, LAN or WLAN. I have to reset the router and restore a setting without QoS enabled.

What am I doing wrong ? Yes, SFE is disabled.

[EDIT] 18:10
As opposed to the picture, the port option is set to WAN.

Sponsor
ccbrianf
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
HSFC/Cake worked for me on very similar hardware (DIR-862l) as of r41713 https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6755. HTB/Cake was working prior and after, although it did seem to be performance limited on this hardware so I reverted to HTB/Pie. HSFC Pie seems roughly equivalent performance as well.

Somewhere just after or around the time of verifying this though, I changed from the L7 service priority configuration attached in the PDF of that issue to the simple port based priority defined here for better performance: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1167877#1167877

Bottom line: Mostly working for me.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nothing wrong with QOS on the EA8500
been worky really fine for my ISP connection

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/58229547

https://www.nperf.com/r/3232466528860809-vro6kSr4

my QOS -- nothing has been chaged for many DD-WRT builds
NinthWave
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 23:58    Post subject: SOLVED Reply with quote
On an Archer C7v2,

one MUST definitely select WAN port as inadvertently selecting WLAN or LAN will totally mess with the router.

OR

In another thread, a guru suggested to SAVE then, REBOOT instead of SAVING,APPLYING or APPLYING.

Thank you all for you sharing.

royitoroy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
The same thing has happened to me 3 times!!
when I have placed the QoS in HFSC, the router is blocked and nobody can connect via Wi-Fi or cable because it starts and shuts down starts and shuts down... so I had to reset it 30/30 and set it to start from 0 by setting the QoS to HTB.

and when I put it on HTB but FQ_CODEL came back to brike and I had to reset it again like this happened to me 3 times... Sad

now I have my QoS HBT + CODEL and it seems to work fine (i guess), however I don't know if the QoS is ok like that ...

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
@roy, you should only enable QoS on WAN, not WLAN and LAN. HFSC / HTB and FQ_CODEL or FQ_CODEL_FAST should work for you. Also, you should put a number in uplink. I don't think using 0 works as it should.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net

Last edited by kernel-panic69 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:07; edited 1 time in total
NinthWave
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
royitoroy wrote:
The same thing has happened to me 3 times!!
when I have placed the QoS in HFSC, the router is blocked and nobody can connect via Wi-Fi or cable because it starts and shuts down starts and shuts down... so I had to reset it 30/30 and set it to start from 0 by setting the QoS to HTB.

and when I put it on HTB but FQ_CODEL came back to brike and I had to reset it again like this happened to me 3 times... Sad

now I have my QoS HBT + CODEL and it seems to work fine (i guess), however I don't know if the QoS is ok like that ...

Your picture clearly shows that the Port option you selected is NOT wan. Change that to WAN.

nyddwrtuser330
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:47    Post subject: What is wrong with QoS Reply with quote
per kernel panic - QOS has a bug, do not set qos on LAN / wlan, utilize only WAN

I just posted before seeing this that the setting is responsible for bootloops on my 7800, and is likely also the cause on my archer c7 (no longer in production). and WAN port reset will cause instability if set for LAN WLAN.

Problem exists in both Kong and BS builds.
royitoroy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
well... I already changed it to WAN and put dthhe uplink and downlink full, everything was fine, but when I changed it to FQ_CODEL the router behaved "well", what I realized is that at the beginning it disconnected and connected erratically until after a few long minutes it "stabilized", what I immediately realized is that all the QoS rules by MAC had been deleted, and almost all the rules by NetMask had also been deleted...

so I restored and just in case I put it back in WAN HTB/FQ_CODEL Uplink and Downlink full and again... the router blocked... neither wifi nor cable.

reset 30/30 and restore without FQ_CODEL only WAN and uplink and Downlink...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: