WRT1900AC wifi can't go faster than 50 mbps

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
digitalbots
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:23    Post subject: WRT1900AC wifi can't go faster than 50 mbps Reply with quote
So here is the short version of my story. My internet was bumped up from 50mbps to 400mbps.

Via the hardwire I get 430mpbs which is great.

BUT my wifi is only at 50mbps that is on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

I changed the channels, and took it out of Wireless Network Mode mix mode. and I still can't break 50mbps.

Is this the limit for this router?

This is only a issue now that I have more speed I would like to have more speed on the wifi. I am currently on the following firmware

Linksys WRT1900AC v2 - **DD-WRT v3.0-r41517 std (11/11/19)**
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure what your client devices are or what they are capable of, but consider upgrading to 12-29-2019-r41813 build.

You can also wait until the next public build shows up (after 01-05-2020).

This may be a configuration issue though as it appears you are stuck at 802.11g speeds. How far are your devices from the router?

It may be falling back for a good reason.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Might be time for another read through of the standard reference for setting up wifi for our routers that, like yours, have Atheros wifi hardware: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Atheros/ath_wireless_settings.

Also, in GUI>Status>Wireless check out the Site Survey (to find what channels your neighbors are on and how strong their signals are) and Channel Survey (to see how busy those neighbor systems are). Many areas have so much wifi traffic in the air that picking the right channel is key.

If you have a lot of 2.4 GHz wifi traffic in your area, you might need to stick to NG-Mixed with 20 MHz bandwidth on channel 1, 6, or 11 if you are in the US. If interference is not a huge issue, try NG-Mixed at 40 MHz width on channel 1U or channel 11L. Either way, enabling TurboQAM (QAM256) support is worth trying if your own signals tend to be strong. You'll need more signal strength to make a go of 40 MHz than you'll need with 20 MHz.

Usually the 5 GHz band is less busy. If interference from neighbors is minimal and your own signals are really strong, give AC/N-Mixed with 80 MHz bandwidth a try on, in the US, channel 36UU or 149UU. At 80 MHz in the US, those are actually the only legal channel choices. (Using other extension-channel choices, these same channels come with different channel numbers.) If your 5 GHz signals are weaker, you may want to cut back to 40 MHz or even 20 MHz bandwidth. Those give you more channel choice, but I'm not up on the details, since I use 80 MHz here. Remember that speed is proportional to bandwidth but so is the amount of internal electronics noise the signal competes with in the wifi receiving hardware. Finally, with the default US transmit power level of 30 dBm, US users will see in the Status tab that the router drops transmit power on channel 36 to 23 dBm (about 1/4 the power of 30 dBm). Regulations require it. So I prefer channel 149 if interference is not an issue.

Those comments are US-specific because that's what I know. I missed actually catching what your location is. In an case, the link above is invaluable. Walk through it carefully.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
digitalbots
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
i moved my antenna, updated the firmware to 12/29/19 and I am getting 60mbps now.

The devices I am trying out on are N and AC network adapters with 2.4 and 5ghz.

I have tried 2 android phones, Linux laptop, and chromebook.

I am using the wifi bandwidth test that is on the router.

quick question is there a "final" or "stable" version of the DD-WRT because all I could find is this.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/12-29-2019-r41813/linksys-wrt1200acv2/
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
digitalbots wrote:

quick question is there a "final" or "stable" version of the DD-WRT because all I could find is this.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2019/12-29-2019-r41813/linksys-wrt1200acv2/

dd-wrt is always in beta. That's one of the long-time complaints about it. There is no universal "stable" build. I'm on build r40009 and most people consider that one but there's nothing official.

Just curious but now that your device connects at 60mps, what kind of speeds do you see in real world speed tests on the device? I routinely connect an asus tablet at 65mps but real world speeds are usually half of that on speed tests.
digitalbots
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
Might be time for another read through of the standard reference for setting up wifi for our routers that, like yours, have Atheros wifi hardware: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Atheros/ath_wireless_settings.

Also, in GUI>Status>Wireless check out the Site Survey (to find what channels your neighbors are on and how strong their signals are) and Channel Survey (to see how busy those neighbor systems are). Many areas have so much wifi traffic in the air that picking the right channel is key.

If you have a lot of 2.4 GHz wifi traffic in your area, you might need to stick to NG-Mixed with 20 MHz bandwidth on channel 1, 6, or 11 if you are in the US. If interference is not a huge issue, try NG-Mixed at 40 MHz width on channel 1U or channel 11L. Either way, enabling TurboQAM (QAM256) support is worth trying if your own signals tend to be strong. You'll need more signal strength to make a go of 40 MHz than you'll need with 20 MHz.

Usually the 5 GHz band is less busy. If interference from neighbors is minimal and your own signals are really strong, give AC/N-Mixed with 80 MHz bandwidth a try on, in the US, channel 36UU or 149UU. At 80 MHz in the US, those are actually the only legal channel choices. (Using other extension-channel choices, these same channels come with different channel numbers.) If your 5 GHz signals are weaker, you may want to cut back to 40 MHz or even 20 MHz bandwidth. Those give you more channel choice, but I'm not up on the details, since I use 80 MHz here. Remember that speed is proportional to bandwidth but so is the amount of internal electronics noise the signal competes with in the wifi receiving hardware. Finally, with the default US transmit power level of 30 dBm, US users will see in the Status tab that the router drops transmit power on channel 36 to 23 dBm (about 1/4 the power of 30 dBm). Regulations require it. So I prefer channel 149 if interference is not an issue.

Those comments are US-specific because that's what I know. I missed actually catching what your location is. In an case, the link above is invaluable. Walk through it carefully.

Yup I am in America, I gave these a shot still at 60mbps from wifi but 420mbps cabled in. I guess that is all i can get.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
digitalbots wrote:
Yup I am in America, I gave these a shot still at 60mbps from wifi but 420mbps cabled in. I guess that is all i can get.

I'm surprised. I knew my WRT1900ACSv2 had a faster processor than the older WRT1900ACv2 (which I think is actually the same router as the WRT1900ACSv1), but I would not have guessed that there might be a serious difference in the wifi drivers or wifi speed. Here I get (GUI>Status>Sys-Info) wifi connections on 5 GHz of 866 Mbps from modern clients in the same room. On 2.4 GHz the close-in modern clients can get 300 Mbps. And I can realize speeds across the internet via those wifi connections up to at least 150 Mbps. It all seems an awful long way from 50 Mbps. I still have to wonder whether something more is going on with your setup.

Do keep in mind that the "modern client" phrase here is important. Older devices aren't getting the speed here. I think those maxed-out speeds are 802.11ac things, AC and not N or the precambrian G.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
digitalbots
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
digitalbots wrote:

I'm surprised. I knew my WRT1900ACSv2 had a faster processor than the older WRT1900ACv2 (which I think is actually the same router as the WRT1900ACSv1), but I would not have guessed that there might be a serious difference in the wifi drivers or wifi speed. Here I get (GUI>Status>Sys-Info) wifi connections on 5 GHz of 866 Mbps from modern clients in the same room. On 2.4 GHz the close-in modern clients can get 300 Mbps. And I can realize speeds across the internet via those wifi connections up to at least 150 Mbps. It all seems an awful long way from 50 Mbps. I still have to wonder whether something more is going on with your setup.

Do keep in mind that the "modern client" phrase here is important. Older devices aren't getting the speed here. I think those maxed-out speeds are 802.11ac things, AC and not N or the precambrian G.

took a snapshot of the wifi area. But all of my devices are N or AC
PIZZEDMEOFF
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
2.4ghz on my 1900ac v1
i use Short GI and Short Preamble with NG mixed. @ full 20mhz

on the 5ghz i use 80mhz 149UU+6
Also Short Preamble, Short GI

Those give me the best speed across all the varying wireless devices around here..

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/timeline
Commands:
Misc: sleep 10;stopservice nas;stopservice wlconf;startservice wlconf;startservice nas
samba: { sleep 30; stopservice samba3; startservice samba3; } &

WRT1900ACv1:

WIFI: 2.4ghz: NG-mixed, 20mhz channel width, channel follows AP, WPA2-CCMP-128.
WIFI: 5ghz: AC/N mixed, 40mhz channel width, channel 100+upper, WPA2-CCMP-128.
Misc Info: WPA2 Personal: "CCMP-128 (AES)" Static IP's VIA Mac+Host, SFE Enabled, No Rebind, Strict, no-resolv. NOTE: this is now just a wireless access point so to speak but all settings still apply to what ever wireless person connects.
digitalbots
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
PIZZEDMEOFF wrote:
2.4ghz on my 1900ac v1

Those give me the best speed across all the varying wireless devices around here..

i am not sure of those settings where is "Short GI" and "Short Preamble" at?

EDIT
FOUND IT... no change. THIS IS ODD. I am going to wipe my settings tonight to see if maybe a setting is sitting in the background that is killing me.

Last edited by digitalbots on Mon Jan 06, 2020 21:10; edited 1 time in total
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
digitalbots wrote:
PIZZEDMEOFF wrote:
2.4ghz on my 1900ac v1

On the wireless radio page with settings, click the box near the bottom for "advanced settings" it's down there.
digitalbots
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
ellick wrote:
digitalbots wrote:
PIZZEDMEOFF wrote:
2.4ghz on my 1900ac v1

On the wireless radio page with settings, click the box near the bottom for "advanced settings" it's down there.

yup got it... no change. I will blow away my settings and try again tonight.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
digitalbots wrote:
took a snapshot of the wifi area. But all of my devices are N or AC

So why is only ath1 represented? Don't you have anything on 5 GHz (ath0 in the WRT1900 series routers)? Is your 5 GHz radio shut off?

If you have CLI access (ssh/putty/telnet), do ifconfig ath0 and ifconfig ath1 and compare their outputs. Anything look obviously wrong with ath0, like it's not UP or is passing no data?

digitalbots
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Omg.....

Is this Megabytes per second or Mbps?

If I converted this then I am at 300+ Mbps
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mbps : Megabit per second (Mbit/s or Mb/s)

MB/s : Megabyte per second

You may want to use a browser based speed test. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=speed+test

If you think there's something wrong with your config and want to start over, use "nvram erase && reboot" from Telnet/SSH.

Last edited by blkt on Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:35; edited 1 time in total
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: