R7000 GUI and ssh not working on fresh install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
niclasc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:29    Post subject: R7000 GUI and ssh not working on fresh install Reply with quote
I just flashed DD-WRT factory-to-dd-wrt.01-03-2020-r41874.chk on my R7000

When I boot I only get GUI for like 30 seconds and then I cant access the router. I get this in chrome "Hmmm… can't reach this page"

First bootup I counld set username/passpwrd and then gui stoped working. Rebooting gives me gui for like 30 seconds before it stops wprking

I managed to enable sshd but I cant login with the user/password I set at startup. And when tha gui chrashes sshd also stops working

Any idea how to get this router working?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Was this an upgrade or initial flash?
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
kulica64
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem. I have just bought a used R7000 router and it came with 40270 kong build on it. As I didn't know the password I performed the 30/30/30 erase and after that I updated (over the GUI-webflash) to the 41954 BS build. Now the fun part comes... If you access the router over UTP cable you have like 30 seconds to operate on in and after that GUI crashes. Probably the telnet also, but I only use the ssh. Then I figured it out that if you are doing the settings changes over wifi it is better and you can set a few settings, thus I was able to enable ssh. After a while you come to a point that whatever you set and want to store it will just respond with a cgi error ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE, and nothing will be saved into the nvram flash memory. However, you can set them manually over ssh by nvram set, and values will be retained after the device reboot stage. Currently the GUI reports that 33/64 KB are being used.

If anyone has any ideas what could be the reason behind it I'd be really grateful and how to tackle this problem. It is really annoying if you can't set anything in the GUI especially on a physical connection.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
reset and update to 41892 the last stable build for me
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2020/01-05-2020-r41892/

do not use old save file to restore settings...
rebuild settings manually

do not do 30/30/30 erase its bad idea on this router..
just reset via button or GUI...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
kulica64
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
reset and update to 41892 the last stable build for me
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2020/01-05-2020-r41892/

do not use old save file to restore settings...
rebuild settings manually

do not do 30/30/30 erase its bad idea on this router..
just reset via button or GUI...

Will do and report back. Thanks!

Edit: Ok, I've tried with this version and now it works. Just FYI I performed a ssh write flash with erase nvram - now it works. I don't know if the last build has any problems or was there something else going wrong.
majortom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
kulica64 wrote:

Edit: Ok, I've tried with this version and now it works. Just FYI I performed a ssh write flash with erase nvram - now it works. I don't know if the last build has any problems or was there something else going wrong.

Thank you! I was going mad uploading various version with the same result (GUI/SSH locks up after 30 seconds). Works fine now I've uploaded via SSH and erased the nvram.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Silly me, I should've responded with, "Don't use Chrome for the webUI, ya dummy". Chromium-based browsers are problematic. Firefox ESR, Pale Moon, IE. Not to mention, if you do not have a switch between your PC and router's wired ethernet ports, sometimes, the networking doesn't refresh quick enough.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: