DIR-890L Guide

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
RageX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone using the 890L with one of Kong's builds? Looking to move over but seen reports that DD-WRT is capped to 100Mbps for the 890L.

Anyone on a DD-WRT build for 890L that is able to get same wifi/LAN speeds as stock firmware?
Sponsor
PowerPoldi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using BS-build R41328 (Oct. 2019) on my DIR890L.
As far as I've read in the forum, Kong stopped releasing new Kong-Builds by mid of 2019.

My internet-connection is only 25Mbps, so I can't give you any information about speeds above 100Mbps. Sad

One issue, I encounter from time to time is, that the rooter seems to freeze or lag. I cannot open an new tab in the browser nor access the web-gui of dd-wrt. However downloads on J-Downloader seem to continue. After waiting several miniutes, everythings is back to normal.
blaser
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
using DIR890L with Xfinity BS build 41811
Speed is 700/18
[/img]

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
blaser wrote:
using DIR890L with Xfinity BS build 41811
Speed is 700/18
[/img]

Thanks! Flashed the 41811 build.

Found one bug - when I tried to set DHCP reservations for my devices - i.e. Static leases, after applying the settings and rebooting the router, I'm unable to access the WebGUI, ipconfig on my desktop is unable to contact the DHCP server.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use a completely separate browser altogether for the webUI. PaleMoon or FF ESR. IE, Opera also work fine. Use something completely separate for the rest of your web cruising.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
RageX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Use a completely separate browser altogether for the webUI. PaleMoon or FF ESR. IE, Opera also work fine. Use something completely separate for the rest of your web cruising.

Hey thanks for dropping by. I only use FF for webUI, all other work is done on Chrome.

I also clear FF's cache and data every time there's a reboot. I've experienced a ton of crap regarding this previously on the stock firmware.

Back to the issue at hand, unless there's a setting that I'm missing, the Static DHCP settings for 41811 break the 890L.

Basically after the reboot (once I've set just one Static DHCP), the login page is no longer accessible. I've tested this 3 times. I have to do a factory reset to recover and reconfigure everything.

When the login page is no longer accessible, my desktop PC connected via cable can still access the internet. However, ipconfig release/renew shows that it is unable to access the DHCP server.

Edit: I fixed this issue, please see my post below. BS 41811 is rock solid with the 890L.

Edit 2: Currently on BS r41954 and its pretty good.

Last edited by RageX on Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:32; edited 4 times in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not 100% sure that the webUI static leases are tied to dnsmasq at all, I would have to look deeper. I do know folks sometimes use dnsmasq additional options to add static leases that way. Probably something leftover from when udhcpd was taken out of the equation.

----------------------
RageX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I am not 100% sure that the webUI static leases are tied to dnsmasq at all, I would have to look deeper. I do know folks sometimes use dnsmasq additional options to add static leases that way. Probably something leftover from when udhcpd was taken out of the equation.

Yes I did some research into issues with DD-WRT DHCP reservations (i.e. Static IP settings).

The common issue occurred with dnsmasq when the hostname had a invalid special character.

This bug was supposedly fixed previously here https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=300554

Invalid characters are not supposed to be allowed to be entered into the "Hostname" portion.

However, the coding missed out one invalid character - "+". When the hostname contains a + character, after saving and rebooting, the router's DHCP server will not be accessible as a result of dnsmasq issues.

I would suggest that the devs add to the character exclusions for hostnames under the Static IP section - the invalid character "+" - i.e. the plus sign.

Cheers! Having a blast with DD-WRT.
Kossac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
PowerPoldi wrote:
As far as I've read in the forum, Kong stopped releasing new Kong-Builds by mid of 2019.

My internet-connection is only 25Mbps, so I can't give you any information about speeds above 100Mbps. Sad

One issue, I encounter from time to time is, that the rooter seems to freeze or lag. I cannot open an new tab in the browser nor access the web-gui of dd-wrt. However downloads on J-Downloader seem to continue. After waiting several miniutes, everythings is back to normal.

Is there a way to SSH or Telnet into the device?
RageX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kossac wrote:
PowerPoldi wrote:

Is there a way to SSH or Telnet into the device?

Install telnet in your Windows version. Use Windows PowerShell to telnet into your router.

Additional information can be found on the dd-wrt wiki and/or Google.
PowerPoldi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Didn't try telnet or ssh by now.
I'll give it a try and post the result here when I'll experience the next lag/freeze.
eddie0t3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 14:36    Post subject: factory-to-ddwrt.bin upload failed Reply with quote
Hello,
I had the latest stock (1.21) FW and followed Post2 successfully and downgraded to stock FW 1.11. The firmware was available from Dlinks support website http://support.dlink.ca/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-890L

The suggested beta from Post 1, doesn't see to be available anymore.
Quote:
Step 1 (Installing DD-WRT)- Start Here if you still have the stock Dlink firmware installed
First download DD-WRT. As I write this guide I am going to use the r28548 release from 12/18/2015. You can find the download here
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/12-18-2015-r28548/dlink-dir890l/

Instead, I tried the next available version r28579
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/12-22-2015-r28579/

Using the r28579 factory-to-ddwrt.bin, I get a 'upgrade failed' error. I'm using firefox on ubuntu, wired into the router.

Have other users had success doing the factory-to-ddwrt.bin upgrade using versions other than r28548?, and if so which version?

Thank you,
Eddie
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know, scroll up, maybe read the entire thread?

RageX wrote:
Edit: I fixed this issue, please see my post below. BS 41811 is rock solid with the 890L.

----------------------
eddie0t3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:

RageX wrote:

Hi,
Thanks for pointing that out. In terms of using the factory-to-ddrt.bin (r41811 version, also tried the experimental version).. I got an "upgrade failed" when trying from dlink FW 1.11. Was I supposed to use r41811 directly after reseting (power off - hold reset for 10 seconds, while powering back on)?

Thanks again,
Eddie
RageX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
eddie0t3 wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:

RageX wrote:

Hi,
Thanks for pointing that out. In terms of using the factory-to-ddrt.bin (r41811 version, also tried the experimental version).. I got an "upgrade failed" when trying from dlink FW 1.11. Was I supposed to use r41811 directly after reseting (power off - hold reset for 10 seconds, while powering back on)?

Thanks again,
Eddie

Read the entire thread here, as well as all the sticky threads. There are other 890L threads on this forum as well.

If you don't read the Peacock thread you will brick your router (you do not need to do 30-30-30 resets for the 890L, a factory reset on the 890L is simply using a needle to hold down the reset button for a period of time, maybe 5-15s, until the lights start flashing).

I don't think anyone has reported first-hand success of flashing DD-WRT from 1.11.

You have to go back to 1.09.

Also, make sure your 890L is hardware version A1.

r41954 is giving me decent stability. It does reboot occasionally, but my record up time is more than 10 days.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 7
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: