R7000p as Wireless Access Point best practices (QoS?!?!!!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Fried Chicken
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:31    Post subject: R7000p as Wireless Access Point best practices (QoS?!?!!!) Reply with quote
What are the best practices for configuring an R7000p as a Wireless Access Point, specifically QoS?

With an X86 router as my main DD-WRT box, I'm trying to destroy the bufferbloat for my wireless clients. One motivation for ditching the R7000p as my main router was the need for gigabit Qos (currently using the Cake packet scheduler). My r7000P topped out at 300-350mps.

Unfortunately, while ethernet works great, my wireless clients connected through my R7000p still suffer from high bufferbloat, hitting 80ms or so (C rating on the dslreports speedtest).

I have my WAN port configured to connect to the switch.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try without the WAN port, I once did a speed test and when I used the WAN port (it was not on your router) I got about 500 Mb/s and the switch/LAN ports where all Gigabit.

It depends on the router layout but in some routers assigning the WAN port to the switch is just a layer 2 bridging solution and not a real hardware switch

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Last edited by egc on Fri Dec 27, 2019 16:32; edited 2 times in total
nolimitz
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 16:14    Post subject: Re: R7000p as Wireless Access Point best practices (QoS?!?!! Reply with quote
Fried Chicken wrote:
What are the best practices for configuring an R7000p as a Wireless Access Point, specifically QoS?

With an X86 router as my main DD-WRT box, I'm trying to destroy the bufferbloat for my wireless clients. One motivation for ditching the R7000p as my main router was the need for gigabit Qos (currently using the Cake packet scheduler). My r7000P topped out at 300-350mps.

Unfortunately, while ethernet works great, my wireless clients connected through my R7000p still suffer from high bufferbloat, hitting 80ms or so (C rating on the dslreports speedtest).

I have my WAN port configured to connect to the switch.

I second what egc said above.

I now avoid WAN port as part of the switch on R7000P, i had issues when i used it with iptv and found out the issue is because i assigned WAN port to switch and used it as one of the switch ports.
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 20:57    Post subject: Re: R7000p as Wireless Access Point best practices Reply with quote
As far as wireless QoS goes, there needs to be a packet scheduler that is somehow aware of the dynamically changing link-rate of wireless.

Until then, wireless will always be prone to more bufferbloat due to the link-rate changing often based on signal quality.

The best you can do is not to try and pull more bandwidth across the link than the link is rated for and even then, the overhead of wireless transmission frames means that you won't even get near the link-rate speeds as you would with ethernet.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll try changing changing the cable from the WAN to the LAN, although I haven't had issues as described beyond what I already said.

Regarding QoS. It seems it's an ongoing issue with QoS the variable link speed. Unfortunately even my "Gigabig" conncection fluctuates from 750mbit to 1Gb+, and the upload seems unstable. This makes setting an optimum speed a constant frustration because I'm either throwing away available bandwidth, or potentially introducing bufferbloat into the network.

[edit]

Wow; disabling “WAN port to switch” and moving the cable seems to have made a bit of a difference for bandwidth, going from ~100 to ~120 mbps on the download. I still have the insufferable bufferbloat issues (C rating on dslreports). On my main x86 router, the downlink and uplink is set at 900,000 and 47,000 respectively and get an A or A+ rating over ethernet for bufferbloat.

Navigation

Jump to: