DD-WRT is Awesome

Fried Chicken
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 20:20    Post subject: DD-WRT is Awesome Reply with quote
Woah

I just got this
https://protectli.com/product/fw6a/

At first I was going to instlal Opnsense; then decided OpenWRT b/c I read it’s faster (I really only need Gigabit QoS). After 5 hours of trying to figure out how VLANs work (intel drivers don’t exist? I don’t even want to know), I said fuck it and installed DD-WRT thinking I’d go through another 5 hours of hell.

No.

It just worked. It just worked beautifully, and it’s the same DD-WRT I’ve come to know and love. Wow. Performance is unbelievably good. I really wish DD-WRT got more love from the community; I’ve been using it for over a decade now.

Wow.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yuck its a Celeron CPU. As long as you do not plan on using NAS with this you will be ok with this setup. Not much for expansion but good enough gateway and routing power there.

I built a quadcore Q6600 Dell Studio 540T system with 8GB ram and have 8TB of storage space for NAS use. I would like to add a WIFI card down the line and pay for the professional version. The latest beta build has been working perfect so far on it.
Fried Chicken
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
flood404 wrote:
Yuck its a Celeron CPU. As long as you do not plan on using NAS with this you will be ok with this setup. Not much for expansion but good enough gateway and routing power there.

I built a quadcore Q6600 Dell Studio 540T system with 8GB ram and have 8TB of storage space for NAS use. I would like to add a WIFI card down the line and pay for the professional version. The latest beta build has been working perfect so far on it.

What's wrong with the Celeron CPU?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its just a neutered processor. It will be fine for what your using it for. I used them since the socket 370 days and found them to be much weaker than the full blown processors they were made from.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
So why was the Celery 300A so popular with gamers to overclock?

https://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/636-best-overclocking-cpu.html

Anyway, I actually still have one of those in storage that served in my OpenBSD box several years back.

Back to point, I don't know what the trouble was with OpenWRT or why you didn't go with pfSense or OPNSense. All three install on that hardware just fine.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
why not build ur own? that one is quite a bit priced for whats in it.. mine is a 2c/4t haswell for about $245 CDN, assuming that listed price is in USD, the difference is even greater. has no wifi yet but its got space and power to support much higher end wifi if wanted, and is more upgradeable (atx psu, desktop sized ram etc), while still compact in size. sure this one includes wifi, but its not even ac.. (and only qualcomm wifi supposedly works in ddwrt x86, good luck finding qca99xx to fit in there)

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Fried Chicken
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
why not build ur own? that one is quite a bit priced for whats in it.. mine is a 2c/4t haswell for about $245 CDN, assuming that listed price is in USD, the difference is even greater. has no wifi yet but its got space and power to support much higher end wifi if wanted, and is more upgradeable (atx psu, desktop sized ram etc), while still compact in size. sure this one includes wifi, but its not even ac.. (and only qualcomm wifi supposedly works in ddwrt x86, good luck finding qca99xx to fit in there)

The one I got didn’t include WiFi, I’m using my R7000P as my access point haha

I like it because it’s incredibly compact, excellent quality, was quickly available, and is on a tried and tested platform. It’s not worth saving the few bucks, at least for me. I also didn’t see a cheaper way of building my own platform that was this compact either.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
So why was the Celery 300A so popular with gamers to overclock?

https://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/636-best-overclocking-cpu.html

Anyway, I actually still have one of those in storage that served in my OpenBSD box several years back.

Back to point, I don't know what the trouble was with OpenWRT or why you didn't go with pfSense or OPNSense. All three install on that hardware just fine.

Ah yes the Celeron 300A with no L2 cache. Probably that reason is why it could run up to 450MHz and maybe 500MHz. That was back then when every single MHz you can squeeze out helped a system. The last Celeron I overclocked was the 366MHz version with 128kb L2 Cache and I got that sucker running to 550MHz on stock voltage. They have their market still for business applications or business settings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: