WRT3200ACM Upgrade Failed (solved)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
dkinzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:16    Post subject: WRT3200ACM Upgrade Failed (solved) Reply with quote
I have successfully installed dd-wrt on two WRT3200ACM routers (and perhaps twenty other devices like WRT600N and WRT54G). On the third WRT3200ACM, after installing the factory->dd-wrt image attempting to install any other dd-wrt version fails after a very long wait with the message something like "192.168.1.1 reports upgrade failed". I tried three times with the same result. These upgrade attempts were made using the firmware upgrade feature of the web interface.

I'm not sure what to try next. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would upgrading via Telnet be more likely to succeed? Should I try to revert to the LinkSys firmware and start over?

Last edited by dkinzer on Fri Apr 19, 2019 15:13; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:04    Post subject: Re: WRT3200ACM Upgrade Failed Reply with quote
dkinzer wrote:
I have successfully installed dd-wrt on two WRT3200ACM routers (and perhaps twenty other devices like WRT600N and WRT54G). On the third WRT3200ACM, after installing the factory->dd-wrt image attempting to install any other dd-wrt version fails after a very long wait with the message something like "192.168.1.1 reports upgrade failed". I tried three times with the same result. These upgrade attempts were made using the firmware upgrade feature of the web interface.

I'm not sure what to try next. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would upgrading via Telnet be more likely to succeed? Should I try to revert to the LinkSys firmware and start over?

The failed update was from stock, yes?

If so, can you use the triple-toggle technique to get back to stock?

Again, if so, can you successfully re-flash stock firmware to the broken partition? If that fails, then I suggest posting on the official LinkSys forum, as it maybe a hardware fault.

Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/
dkinzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 14:18    Post subject: Re: WRT3200ACM Upgrade Failed Reply with quote
Yemble wrote:
The failed update was from stock, yes?
No. I successfully installed the factory-to-ddwrt firmware using the LinkSys standard firmware. The router seems to work fine using that but I don't know how that is different than a standard dd-wrt build. It is when I try to use the dd-wrt firmware upgrade to install a standard build that I get the "upgrade failed" message. I tried several time using two different dd-wrt versions with the same result.

I'll try to revert to the LinkSys firmware and start over.
dkinzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to revert to the LinkSys firmware using the "triple toggle" technique. I then installed the factory-to-ddwrt firmware followed by the regular dd-wrt, both r39320. Since both had the same revision number it wasn't certain that the second install worked even though it said it was successful. As a test, I installed a different revision of the dd-wrt firmware. This, too, was successful and the revision number displayed corresponded to one that I installed.
Yemble
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
dkinzer wrote:
I was able to revert to the LinkSys firmware using the "triple toggle" technique. I then installed the factory-to-ddwrt firmware followed by the regular dd-wrt, both r39320. Since both had the same revision number it wasn't certain that the second install worked even though it said it was successful. As a test, I installed a different revision of the dd-wrt firmware. This, too, was successful and the revision number displayed corresponded to one that I installed.

Excellent, well done Cool

Firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2021/
Mazufa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello

I bought a new Linksys router wrt3200acm yesterday, but I have not managed to install DD-WRT firmware. I managed to install the OpenWRT firmware, but I want to use DD-WRT and can't install it. I have tried installing different versions of DD-WRT but it does not work Sad I also tried this version r41586

Could you try to help me?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
First you need sysupgrade back to stock Linksys firmware; or if you still have stock firmware remaining on the alternate partition you can boot into that. See the below post and the replies to you in that thread.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1184933#1184929
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: