Best(secure) and fastest vpn for dd-wrt

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking
aquaweer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:45    Post subject: Best(secure) and fastest vpn for dd-wrt Reply with quote
What is the best vpn and fastest vpn for the dd wrt

Tried

Nordvpn = 30mbs down 10mbs up
Airvpn = 20mbs down 5mbs up

Home = 200mbs/200mbs
Sponsor
aquaweer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
nobody ?
phatbob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=159811
aquaweer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
all not good in my eyes
spuriousoffspring
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
From everything I’ve read it seems the top 3 are:

IPVanish (my personal favorite)
PIA
ExpressVPN

WRT32X DD-WRT Installation Procedure
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=315569

IPVanish OpenVPN Client Setup TUTORIAL
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=308565

FIRMWARE: OpenWrt SNAPSHOT r8217-2cc821e / LuCI Master (git-18.276.41146-280dd33)
MODEM: ARRIS SURFBoard SB8200
ROUTER: Linksys WRT32X
USB NAS: Western Digital BLACK 1 TB Hardrive + Startech USB 3.0 External SATA III Enclosure
JAMESMTL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also use IPVanish with good results

here are some real world speedtests.
hebeda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
ipvanish is very fast on many servers , EU servers like in the netherlands or sweden serve +50~100 mbps openvpn speed or more (cant test more here, internet connection too slow Wink )

but there is a alternative which might be faster and cheaper ...

amazon webservices vpn - i havent tried it yet, but the desciption seems interesting

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/how-to-make-your-own-free-vpn-using-amazon-web-services/
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
IPVanish has one disadvantage it is not cheap.
I am using Private internet Access $39 per year.
It is working reliable and is easy to setup, but it has less servers than IPVanish and at the moment it is blocked by the BBC.
Speeds are good I max out my 40Mb/s internet connection.

But if price is not important IPVanish seems like a solid choice.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
flakie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
IPVanish has one disadvantage it is not cheap.

It is possible to save a little on IP Vanish at this URL:

https://signup.ipvanish.com/?aff=ourbestoffer

BBC also block IPVanish from accessing UK only resources (e.g. iPlayer).

ISP: Virgin Media 350/35 Mbps

egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you seen the DDWRT setup instructions from PureVPN: https://support.purevpn.com/article-categories/getting-started/router/ddwrt

Laughable, they tell you to disable NAT and if that does not work Enable it??? (you should keep it enabled)

They tell you to disable your Firewall to connect to them.

Are you seriously recommending a VPN provider which tells you to disable your Firewall so that you can be exposed to the whole world?

Nord is also difficult to setup on DDWRT and have had a serious security breach, they are moving away from per server certificate so that is a step in the right direction

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 17:30    Post subject: Re: Best(secure) and fastest vpn for dd-wrt Reply with quote
aquaweer wrote:
What is the best vpn and fastest vpn for the dd wrt

Tried

Nordvpn = 30mbs down 10mbs up
Airvpn = 20mbs down 5mbs up

Home = 200mbs/200mbs

Those are the two I have dd-wrt experience with. Speed on the tests is not the issue. Either of those can be 70 Mbps on some days with some servers and much less on other days with other servers. Kind of depends on the phase of the moon. To me what matters much more is continuous server availability and latency. Most of the time both of those providers are great. But I switched from Nord to Air because Nord retired servers frequently without notice (and in dd-wrt there is no automatic best-server selection with Nord), and I also found Nord servers would occasionally (few days?) hang, forcing me to change servers. (Aside: for me PIA was ten times worse than Nord in terms of frequency of hanging, though I never used it with dd-wrt.) So far I've never had an Air server hang - give it time though - and I've found that even on days/servers when their raw speed numbers are down, say to the 20 Mbps number you give, which seems the bottom of the range, the latency is still really low, so I don't feel the slowdown at all in browsing. Still seems wicked fast to me. Raw speed would matter more, of course, if you are into heavy torrenting or other massive downloads.

Air also has the reputation of being among the most secure providers out there. Nord, with their password-based connections, use of tls-auth instead of tls-crypt (or am I behind here?), and published certificates is on the weak end of the security spectrum. There is more to security than the number of bits in the data cipher. Where is the account information kept? Who has access to it? Are servers diskless? Are server entry and exit IPs the same (Nord) or different (Air)?

Is the company transparent and honest? Air publishes the status of all servers (which are diskless) at all times. Nord does not. You just have to try one. On their site, Nord claims Netflix access even when experiment shows clearly that it's not there. Air will tell you when Netflix access is working (right now Netflix US can be accessed from anywhere over Air, but that's recent.) Nord is officially in Panama but appears to be run out of the Baltic states somewhere, something they don't tell you. Whose legal requirements bind them?

Nord has far more servers and customers: the number of their US app downloads this year is on the order of 5% of the population, an astonishing figure. Does that make it easier to be anonymous or does it make them a target? Are you more anonymous being lost in a large pool of servers or a large pool of users NATted from a single server? I honestly have no idea.

I have heard many reports of people happy with ExpressVPN and also of people happy with PIA for dd-wrt in particular. I know one fellow who was very happy with IPVanish for a good, long while using their apps, though he now runs Nord in dd-wrt and is planning to shift it to Air.

Be careful of the easy-to-find online reviews. Most are paid for by the VPN providers (Air refuses to pay), and most are incompetent as well, getting many details wrong and doing essentially meaningless speed tests. I've noticed that most Nord reviews claim Netflix will work over Nord, but I've tried it many times on my Android TV running a Nord app, and I have not had success in perhaps the last two years, and even back then it was only with select servers that they did not advertise. Same for Hulu, Amazon Prime, and HBO Go. None of them work over Nord, at least for US servers. Nord has a very high profile and is no doubt among the top blocking priorities for the streaming services. Air does not have an Android-TV app, so I haven't repeated the experiment with them, and I'm just too lazy to run my TV stream through dd-wrt to try it that way (because I don't actually need to defeat geo-blocking as much as I was just curious).

Edit: I'm now (late March, 2020) using the OpenVPN for Android app to connect my Sony Android TV to AirVPN. Basically, you generate a linux config file on the Air website and port it to the TV via its USB port. Then import to the app is easy. Netflix works (US Netflix), according to Air). Hulu works. The Criterion Collection works. HBO Go works. Amazon Prime does NOT work. The Sony Android TVs do have a known bug that causes them to crash and reboot on unsuspend if the earlier suspend was done without first disconnecting the VPN (anyone's VPN).

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.

Last edited by SurprisedItWorks on Sat Mar 21, 2020 19:48; edited 1 time in total
newsboost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
About "What is the best vpn and fastest vpn for the dd wrt":

I'll just quickly add that I recently posted a thread here about dns leak over VPN and I had/have been using PIA. I thought expressvpn would be better. So I got a 30-day trial. After a LOT of testing the conclusion I came up with is that the limitation and bottleneck isn't really neither PIA nor expressVPN. They're both excellent. My problem was that I couldn't understand I only got around 30 mpbs download on my ddwrt-router (netgear r7000)... It took a lot of time and testing... Until I took my nvidia shield and installed the dedicated PIA-app (and expressVPN-app) and ran the VPN-config through there. Suddenly I got +100 mbps, where it was impossible to get above 35 mbps on the ddwrt-router. So my advice is: If you're going to run VPN over the router (openvpn), use whatever you want, the bottleneck is the router, not the VPN-servers! If you want maximum speed (as I do), just run the VPN-app on your devices, assuming their cpu is more powerful (and that would typically be the case if you e.g. would do HD or 4K-streaming). egc was very helpful and told about Wireguard (also a VPN - https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1183135) that almost triples the speed of OpenVPN - but as I understand, it isn't widely adopted at the moment.

About netflix and incompetency: I also noticed that many/some claim Netflix will work over e.g. expressvpn. I tried it and it DOESN'T work. But they have something called smartdns which however worked for me, so I was able to change my DNS-servers (instead of automatic I just entered the manually in my samsung smarttv-network-settings) to those provided by expressvpn and I had access to the US netflix from europe (I cancelled my trial period, though, as I didn't need expressvpn that much as I still have 6 months left of my PIA-subscription) Smile
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
as you are new to DDWRT you probb dont know that
VPN speeds depend from routers specs and VPN encryption
used... your router R7000 can see VPN speeds like 30-40 Mbit max as its CPU cant handle more...
If you find a R7800 unit it can goes up to 90-100Mbit,
but not always...
The other altenrnative to VPN is wireguard, sadly not many units supports it as well not many VPN providers has a guides/support how to..
So far, the best VPN as an options and package is PIA,
as they offer quite a few things along with it, as well they have an easy to set up guide....soon Wireguard manual (may be)...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
hebeda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
i will reply one more time to the topic - since my Vodafone Cable Buissness connection(110/14mbps) here in germany had some big troubles with IPVanish, basically all fast IPvanish server are blocked by Vodafone here (it was also confirmed by ipvanish costumer service, they gave me a refund)
.... ipvanish gave me always full 100mbps with german, dutch and swedish servers.

vodafone cable germany has a long history of blocking all kind of websites on dns level but also just whole ip ranges and doing heavy traffic shaping on the use of filesharing protocols to make them unuseable ....

i tried PIA , but their speed was barely exceeding 3-4Mbyte/sec, i think the reason is the poor peering of Vodafone Germany backbone to PIA servers .... same with several other vpn providers

right now i am using OVPN from sweden for 2 reason : speed is quite ok within the vodafone network (about 60-80mbps) and they support wireguard beside openvpn - i have yet to configure a router with OVPN and Wireguard, if anyone has a guide, it would be more than welcome !?
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
hebeda wrote:
i will reply one more time to the topic - since my Vodafone Cable Buissness connection(110/14mbps) here in germany had some big troubles with IPVanish, basically all fast IPvanish server are blocked by Vodafone here (it was also confirmed by ipvanish costumer service, they gave me a refund)
.... ipvanish gave me always full 100mbps with german, dutch and swedish servers.

vodafone cable germany has a long history of blocking all kind of websites on dns level but also just whole ip ranges and doing heavy traffic shaping on the use of filesharing protocols to make them unuseable ....

i tried PIA , but their speed was barely exceeding 3-4Mbyte/sec, i think the reason is the poor peering of Vodafone Germany backbone to PIA servers .... same with several other vpn providers

right now i am using OVPN from sweden for 2 reason : speed is quite ok within the vodafone network (about 60-80mbps) and they support wireguard beside openvpn - i have yet to configure a router with OVPN and Wireguard, if anyone has a guide, it would be more than welcome !?

See my signature bottom of this post for setting up WireGuard and OpenVPN

EDIT: Use Wireguard, usually 2 to 3 times faster than OpenVPN

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: