WRT3200ACM Flash from Openwrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
restinpeace
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 19:43    Post subject: WRT3200ACM Flash from Openwrt Reply with quote
Hello Guys, i have a strange Problem with flashing.
I own since some days a WRT3200ACM. Bought for Cheap and here is the deal.
There are 2 Times installed OpenWRT and i wanna keep one and flash on too the other partition ddwrt. But when i flash the newest betabuild, it flashes, reboot 3 times and switch again to one useable openwrt. when i look into the Partition Boot Menu from OpenWrt it shows me on 1. Openwrt and on the 2. Unknown . So it doesnt flash ddwrt and its not useable. as i know openwrt flashs with sysupgrade tool.
the only thing what i can flash with this over webmenu or ssh is openwrt or stock firmware but how to hell i can flash ddwrt on one partition and keep one openwrt ?
i searched and i readed the faq on how to flash but nowhere i can find how i can do that from openwrt.
anybody have some advise for me how i can do it .... thx
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well there's two things at play here.

First you need to use sysupgrade to flash Linksys stock firmware; then you can flash DD-WRT from Linksys GUI using the factory-to-ddwrt binary. You can't do it directly from OpenWRT environment and the harder you try the more likely you will end up in a situation requiring serial recovery from u-boot with a usb-to-ttyl cable such as Adafruit 954.

Second, if you manage to get DD-WRT on one partition and OpenWRT on the other you would have a situation where both WRTs are storing their configurations in the same nvram location.

In this case you will likely run into problems leading you to clear nvram, or hard reset, and reconfigure from scratch after each time you boot into the other partition.

Either that or it will trick you to thinking something is wrong with a build when it's really just a corrupted configuration.

I suggest you choose one or the other for a while.

Last edited by blkt on Thu Dec 12, 2019 22:45; edited 1 time in total
restinpeace
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok seems legit ... Crying or Very sad ok i will try ddwrt for a while and look if it fits better to me. as for now i used davids neweset build and im not satisfied with the 5g speed. but thx for clarification.
ps: arduino + serial ttl adapter lies around here Twisted Evil
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I suppose you could backup configurations for each build and restore each time you switch partitions, but as long as you remember to do it and don't backup a corrupted config lol.

Honestly it's a waste of time; focus on flashing and configuring one build at a time. There are cases where performance is impacted by a particular build, but it's just as likely a settings and reboot type of issue.

Keep an eye on feedback from the new build threads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: