Wifi issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
KILLERDOG
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 19:38    Post subject: Wifi issues Reply with quote
Hi dd-wrter, just installed the latest firmware on my Netgear R7800 and im a little confused about a few things. Now youll have to bare with me because im trying to work out how to put this post as im a noob. So some of my devices connect to 2.4ghz and some connect to 5ghz, also my internet speed when hard wirred is 220 download at 12 upload with a ping of 9. Now what i dont get is my router is down staurs and my pc up, so im having to use wifi ( 5ghz ). Problem is the channel width in the routers settings, i can only use 20 mhz or 20/40 dynamic. I cant use the vht channels, unless i choosse 160 mhz. Why cant i use 80+80 vht or just 80vht. I have tried every channel and gone through all options . My wifi usb adapter is 1200mpbs AC dual band. I havfe checked the settings with the usb adapter and its all set yp auto or normal.... Any ideas ?

https://postimg.cc/xXXC3rWp
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
last firmware does not gives much details....
it could be the last firmware from router database, or the last Kong build, or the last BS build...be more specific..
if there are bugs you have to report them...so far you can see some complains in regard of GUI problems and than again there could be a problem with GUI pages too...

select country domain Canada....
not all country domains support those channels
in general 5Ghz has a very low penetration, so for a stronger signal use 2,4Ghz....

you have to select channel than click save, than select again width....

also try to clear browser cache...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
KILLERDOG
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Too be honest ive tried that . And i have tried to change most settings. I am seriously thinking about going back to the stock firmware. If i do want to go back ot the stock firmware do i just log into dd-wrt and upgrade/go back to stock using the dd-wrt gui ?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
last firmware does not gives much details....

If'n you clicked on the screenshot, you would've seen it was 41659, which is the latest public beta Wink

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
After flashing DD-WRT have you done
nvram erase && reboot
from command line (telnet/ssh)?

You have to enable SSHd at Services/Services/Secure Shell for ssh to work.

You would need Kong's ddwrt-to-netgear file to return to stock from GUI.
ddwrt-to-netgear-fw-R7800.bin
revert-to-netgear-kong-FAQ.txt
I don't know for sure it works if you are on BS.
I have never used it.

Otherwise TFTP will be required. It is pretty easy.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
A working set-up is AC/N Mixed, VHT80, Channel 116 UU
KILLERDOG
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so i didnt even know that i had to enable ssh - dohhhh. Thanks bro, much appreciated and now im using vht 80. Thanks guys. At least i have a working router again. Now i can mess a little and always put it back. I might do the erase factory defaults then apply these settings in the hope of more stable wifi. Thx guys, i couldnt do this without you ....
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://twimgs.com/networkcomputing/news/2013/10/graphic-80211-acChannels-all.png

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

KILLERDOG
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
So even though i live in United Kingdom, should i still put router as United States ?

I am also looking at the Netgear r8000. Dare i ask your thoughts on this router.....
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
junk, expensive junk at that.

-broadcom radios are so pathetically sensitive to noise its not even funny

-repeating with broadcom is laughable (client bridge/repeater modes etc)

-broadcom is having GTK renew issues

-broadcom radio firmware is a blackbox

-broadcom cpus run hot as hell, and they arent very powerful, they're like pentium 4's

-they lack wifi features/feature control, unlike qualcomm with open hostapd custom config

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the UK for 5ghz- VHT80 and Use channel 100+UU or 112+LL. Center channel should be 106 in the wifi status page. The other option would be 132+UU or 144+LL; center will be 138. That's the only set of channels that will allow 30dBm power and not interfere with local weather radar systems. The higher up 149-161 will only allow 23dBm which is way less power...not desirable.

beyond that, use the settings in my signature link below.

Don't bother with VHT160.

https://bowdennetworks.co.uk/downloads/5GHz%20Spectrum%20Usage%20UK%20-%202017%20-%20v1.pdf

https://wifinigel.blogspot.com/

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
KILLERDOG
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great, ok, so no r8000 for me then, im sticking to this r7800. Now i notice alot of people change the dBm as the standard seems 20 in dd-wrt. Should i up it or just leave it at 20 ?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Modern routers hardware lock the transmit power with preset table values per country. All you can do is set the channel and let it adjust for you. You can ignore that setting as it's basically a vestige of the past.

Last edited by blkt on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:00; edited 1 time in total
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
KILLERDOG wrote:
Great, ok, so no r8000 for me then, im sticking to this r7800. Now i notice alot of people change the dBm as the standard seems 20 in dd-wrt. Should i up it or just leave it at 20 ?

you haven't read this one have you ....when, im asking when ???
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Atheros/ath_wireless_settings#TX_Power

it says: Recommended Setting: Highest dBm your radios & local laws legally allow**

in relation to the settings different country domains different TX power allowed/permited/limited to... country domain Canada gives you a better TX rates than the others...my opinion....

i use 30 dBm or default max on my routers, it never failed....

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Modern routers hardware lock the transmit power with preset table values per country. All you can do is set the channel and let it adjust for you. You can ignore that setting as it's basically a vestige of the past.

This statement is not entirely true and needs more context.

There are two issues that affect TX power- One is what the OS level TX power (DD-WRT in this case) has tables set for and the second is what the actual wifi chipset has hard baked in. Here's a ink to those "tables" (it's more like a text list) when it comes to Linux Distro's for routers.

On the R7800, EA8500, R9000, etc routers with Wifi-5+ chipsets... If you first choose USA the default TX rate is actually 20 and not 30, which is the MAX allowed TX rate. So on that front BLKT's statement above is flawed.

The GUI doesn't offer the right (auto select) TX power for the channel you choose. You have to be smart enough to know what your max TX rate is in your country and you need to tweak the settings accordingly based on your channel selection. The Gui will default to 20 on first load/reset of settings no matter the country or channel.

The next factor is the chipset. On a lot of older routers, wifi-4 and older, the Max TX power, today, may be different than when that particular chipset was released. Take for instance the Archer series of routers, those were designed when TX power rates were being limited to 23-24dBm (maybe 27- if you're lucky). You can set the GUI to 30, but you will never exceed 24 (From my recollection) because the hard baked limit in the chipset won't allow you to do 30 even though you technically are allowed to by the new standards/rules. Regretably, there's nothing you can do to change that TX pwr- outside of buying a newer router. This sucks because even though the OS will allow a higher rate, the physical hardware overrides the new rules.

So, this is a very slippery slope, but you should always set the GUI to the max allowed TX power for your country/region.

The next thing is that you can override the country/region and use one that has the strongest TX rates allowed. YMMV though, again, based on the chipset firmware tables that are hard baked in.

Long and short, it takes some trial and error.
But, technically speaking, you should not override your country settings so you don't get in trouble with the law.

***EDIT NOTE****
The other factor to take into consideration, too, is that most STA's (clients connecting to the router) are likely operating at lower TX pwr limits any way since most are battery powered. It seems that most clients won't exceed 24dBm back to the router. So, again, YMMV. Testing and more testing on your specific site/home/apartment will be the only way to tell.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]52396 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800] resting
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)

Last edited by msoengineer on Thu Oct 14, 2021 14:15; edited 1 time in total
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: