Login into Web Page University/Hotel etc Not possible.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 16:44    Post subject: Login into Web Page University/Hotel etc Not possible. Reply with quote
This question seems to come up every week. I don't know of any way that DD-WRT can log onto a site that uses a webpage to login to. DD-WRT cannot do html scripts. I don't recall ever seeing a way to get this to work. If anyone knows of a way, please post it.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Sponsor
jimmyco2008
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Whenever I set up a router as a client/repeater, I login with a device connected to the router, usually a computer. The router keeps the session open so if it's just a matter of authenticating once, you should be good to go after that initial auth.
Lehtinen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
On my laptop I turned into a hot spot using these instructions.
Press Win+X to open the power user settings menu and choose "Command Prompt (Admin)".
Enter the following command, replacing the values for SSID and key with the network name and password you want: netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=HOTSPOT key=password
Run the following command to start the network: netsh wlan start hostednetwork
Search in the Start menu for "View network connections."
Right-click your connection and choose "Properties."
Under the "Sharing" tab, click the box labeled "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection."
In the drop down below the above box, choose the network connection that currently has internet access. Click OK.
Then open notepad and type in netsh wlan start hostednetwork and save it as a .bat file on your desktop. This will give you a quick way of starting the service.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I travel A LOT....I've seen some hotels that will only accept connections from a computer, phone, or tablet. For some reason I can't connect with a router in Repeater mode. (I don't know what criteria isn't being met with a router)...but in these cases...I use MAC cloning...I use an old Cell phone (decommissioned) MAC address and voila....end of issue.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guess, I am the only one here who didn't understand this post. Crying or Very sad
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
To recap:

Grab your phone

Search for the MAC address of the phone, in Android: goto Settings > Phone > Status, write the MAC address down.

In you internet browser of the phone goto to the login page (captive portal) and login.

Start the DDWRT and setup in Client mode : https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode, for Broadcom you can use Repeater mode

Clone MAC address: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/MAC_Address_Clone

Connect the DDWRT router and disconnect your phone

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Last edited by egc on Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:24; edited 1 time in total
ElfnetDesigns
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need to clone your devices MAC onto the router running DD-WRT and have that put into client mode and ethernet it into your PC
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use egc's approach a couple of posts back in my travel router. But the update from the field is this: I find this works less and less often. These days in the US my travel router fails to connect to about half of the hotel wifi systems. In the other half the scheme works perfectly. I feel like this situation is getting worse and worse, and it seems like my odds are better on older hotel systems. Large modern hotels are often a problem.

Maybe they're on to us! Shocked

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
I use egc's approach a couple of posts back in my travel router. But the update from the field is this: I find this works less and less often. These days in the US my travel router fails to connect to about half of the hotel wifi systems. In the other half the scheme works perfectly. I feel like this situation is getting worse and worse, and it seems like my odds are better on older hotel systems. Large modern hotels are often a problem.

Maybe they're on to us! Shocked

I have one more trick up my sleeve Smile

It could be that hotels are checking the TTL just like telecom providers are doing when they do not want you to use your phone as hotspot.

So the next time use one of these firewall rules on your router to increase the TTL:
(I do not know which one will work, but the idea is to increase your TTL, to an accepted value, in theory the inc 1 should be the best)

Code:
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o $(get_wanface) -j TTL --ttl-set 128
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o $(get_wanface) -j TTL --ttl-inc 1
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o $(get_wanface) -j TTL --ttl-set 65

Routers with low flash ram need to manually insert the module to change TTL:
Code:
insmod xt_HL

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Last edited by egc on Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:45; edited 1 time in total
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
I have one more trick up my sleeve Smile

It could be that hotels are checking the TTL just like telecom providers are doing when they do not want you to use your phone as hotspot.

So the next time use one of these firewall rules on your router to increase the TTL:
(I do not know which one will work, but the idea is to increase your TTL, to an accepted value, in theory the inc 1 should be the best)

Code:
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o $(get_wanface) -j TTL --ttl-set 128
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o $(get_wanface) -j TTL --ttl-inc 1

Well that got me googling quickly enough! Since I clone my iPhone MAC when playing this client-mode hotel game, it looks like I should go for either --ttl-set 65 or --ttl-set 64, because supposedly an iOS device has all outgoing packet TTLs set to 64. I gather that 65 assumes that the number will be decremented by one by the router. But is the ttl-set applied before or after the decrementing?

It will be Christmas week before I will next be traveling, and there will be only one hotel involved. So I may or may not get to test this that week. Failing that, it will be late winter or early spring. So I'm going to have to make some notes and remember to experiment!

Edit: Everything through my travel router has long been routed through the vpn client except for DNS. So all the packets destined for the vpn server already had the same TTL? These hotel systems were presumably flagging me as a tetherer because my DNS packets showed a different TTL? Or should those DNS packets have had the same TTL as the vpn packets, since both types of packet originated in the router? (By the time I travel, DNS will also be routing through vpn most of the time, basically except for 10 or 20 seconds just after the network is first up). Is any of this telling us that seeing a variety of TTLs was likely NOT the problem?

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
It works like this, each hop decrements the TTL by one.
So lets say the router starts with 64, when the packet is routed out of the WAN it has a TTL of 63.
It enters your phone and it will be routed there too ( I think) so it ends with a TTL of 62 and probably it will then be rejected.
What the rule does is, on the router, after the routing so when the TTL is 63 it changes the TTL (it is a postrouting rule) so if all this is true I guess you should set it to 65?

But just try with 65 and 64, I guess Smile

Maybe someone will chime in who really knows, I am just guessing (but I am really good at that Very Happy )

If you have tested it, please report back so we all know how to beat those money suckers.

SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
If you have tested it, please report back so we all know how to beat those money suckers.

I will definitely test it, beginning with 65 (since in addition to your logic, that seems a commonly suggested value in the community), and will report back, likely in the spring, as I'll need several hotels before I can be at all confident that the probability of failure has been lowered from 50%.

Thanks for raising this possibility.

SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:

This seems like a reasonable step to take in any case, but the failed hotel connections always have the "internet" light on the front of the router stuck in its orange "working on it" state. It never moves to the usual white "connected" state at all. I assume that the only internet activity that possibly could precede going white, and I'm not sure it does, is access to the internet by the router itself, not by connected client devices. Things like ntpclient going after network time, DNSCrypt going after certificates, the openvpn client connecting to a server (directly to its IP... no name resolution required).

So wouldn't these activities already generate TTLs that are all the same? Isn't it largely the variability in TTL values that we worry would give away "tethering" activity?

Even given a successful connection with this travel router, all client activity is routed through the vpn client, so again, shouldn't all those packets naturally have the router's own TTL value, whatever it is?

egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
The router decreases the TTL value by one.
That can be detected.
So before leaving the router you have to increase the TTL value.
At least that is the theory.

gin-n-tonic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:

It will be Christmas week before I will next be traveling, and there will be only one hotel involved. So I may or may not get to test this that week. Failing that, it will be late winter or early spring. So I'm going to have to make some notes and remember to experiment!

Have you made any progress on this?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: