Anyway to make DD-WRT read/write HFS+

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
emanon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 13:23    Post subject: Anyway to make DD-WRT read/write HFS+ Reply with quote
I have a dual router setup with both routers using DD-WRT. However, my Linksys WRT32X is the one I need to read/write HFS+. Therefore I'm posting this in the Marvell section. My other router is a R7000.

Please Please tell me there is way to make DDWRT on a Linksys WRT32X accommodate read/write for the HFS+ format. If not, how about the Netgear R7000? Thanks!!!

Last edited by emanon on Thu Nov 28, 2019 21:50; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
It would be easier to make MacOS read vfat or ntfs.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Isn't HFS+ a hard drive format found on latest mac's hard drives? (like NTFS on Windows HDD/SSD)
What has your router got to do with this?
i ask because i don't know or can't get my head around your question.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, the newest MacOS filesystem is APFS, introduced in High Sierra (10.13.x). It's probably related to Time Machine backups, but seriously, just get an external USB drive for your Mac and call it good.

----------------------
emanon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
foz111 wrote:
Isn't HFS+ a hard drive format found on latest mac's hard drives? (like NTFS on Windows HDD/SSD)
What has your router got to do with this?
i ask because i don't know or can't get my head around your question.

Connected via USB to my Linksys router is a Glyph 6TB RAID that has lots of data I will need. I would like to keep using the Glyph, reading and writing to it. It is formatted HFS+. I recently started using DDWRT and didn't realize beforehand that the router will not allow me to write to the Glyph. Am I mistaken?

Yes I can connect the Glyph directly to my Mac but I want the Glyph to be directly on the network so others can use it and I can access it remotely. BTW the remote access has been successfully deployed by configuring the NAT / QoS>Port Forwarding page. So I need it to stay connected to the router.

I got a chance to test the remote access when I took a quick business trip to Vegas. While over 1,00 miles away from the router I was able to login to the router. I can not carry the Glyph with me. I need the router to allow full read and write.

Last edited by emanon on Thu Nov 28, 2019 21:50; edited 4 times in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is it mounting the drive and recognizing it? I presume not. Attach it to your Mac. Problem solved.

----------------------
emanon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Is it mounting the drive and recognizing it? I presume not. Attach it to your Mac. Problem solved.

Yea it mounts it and I can access it but it won't let me add files or change files, things of that nature. I was able to get it to mount by configuring the Services>USB and the Services>NAS pages.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus#Linux
emanon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:

Thanks!! That explains a lot. The 2TB limit might be my problem along with the no journaling requirement. I now got to think this out and see what out-of-the-box solution I can come up with.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
And I offered a keep it simple stupid solution and obviously that doesn't matter lol. You may have better luck with a Windows box with HFS explorer, perhaps, but I would keep it attached to a Mac on the network and share it that way, if needed.

----------------------
emanon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
And I offered a keep it simple stupid solution and obviously that doesn't matter lol. You may have better luck with a Windows box with HFS explorer, perhaps, but I would keep it attached to a Mac on the network and share it that way, if needed.

Yes I might have to. I also love a challenge finding ways around what suppose to work one way LOL.

I think what bothers me the most is I don't want it attached to no one's MacBook nor iMac in the house. I want it all devices using it without going through another device.. I'm just a stubborn you-know-what.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Back it up to another external drive, reformat it in an easier-to-use filesystem, put the data back on it. Not like MacOS can't read fat or NTFS if set up correctly. NTFS is kinda painful to do, though. MacOS isn't very friendly sometimes. This is why I hate NAS in general, especially in a mixed environment. I haven't tried ext* fs a la Linux or any of the other *NIX filesystems with MacOS yet, but I have a flash drive formatted in ext3 or ext4 around here somewhere.... hmm lol EDIT: Yeah, that don't work.

----------------------
emanon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Back it up to another external drive, reformat it in an easier-to-use filesystem, put the data back on it. Not like MacOS can't read fat or NTFS if set up correctly. NTFS is kinda painful to do, though. MacOS isn't very friendly sometimes. This is why I hate NAS in general, especially in a mixed environment. I haven't tried ext* fs a la Linux or any of the other *NIX filesystems with MacOS yet, but I have a flash drive formatted in ext3 or ext4 around here somewhere.... hmm lol EDIT: Yeah, that don't work.

Yea that's do-able because there is no where near 6TB of data on it. However, I would have not found a way for the ddwrt to allow HFS+ data to pass through.It would be like giving up. I told you I was very stubborn LOL.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I meant ext* fs on MacOS. MacOS will read vfat, fat32, pretty much all M$ filesystems just fine. If it's "that" impotant, they make external hard drives that are easy to take with you... some of them are even 4TB. Not like you can't sync any changes on the fly.

----------------------
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
emanon wrote:
blkt wrote:

Thanks!! That explains a lot. The 2TB limit might be my problem along with the no journaling requirement. I now got to think this out and see what out-of-the-box solution I can come up with.

I didn't read about it much, but hfsprogs should give you journaling support. I didn't check if 2TB issues were ever resolved.

Keep in mind this would be a project; expect memory usage and flash size limitations, potential data corruption and wasted time.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: