Shortcut Forwarding Engine Trade-Offs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
wheaton4prez
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Only thing I will laugh at you or scold you about is the maximum length of Cat5, 5e, and 6 cable runs is 328 feet (some folks say 330 feet). If you can't make that, figure out a way to add a good switch. But anyway, glad you got it fixed!

I remember looking that up back in the day. But, I decided then to run it a bit longer and see what happens. It seemed to work ok then. But, I'm guessing that exposure to years of storms and sun and being bunched up in a giant ball had an effect. Very Happy
Sponsor
pigtail
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your story make my day. But I have a question. Why the unused 500-foot LAN cable could affect your ping?

(I run cables under house foundation but they are not very long and no issues for years. Just curious and worried.)
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
If the cable is not plugged in it could act as an antenna or interference for wifi, or even like a small transformer/coil of wire.

for wires the lengths it takes time for the electrons to propagate through the wire.

The wires can get damaged over time due to decay/animals/...
pigtail
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I put on a helmet and decided which way to crawl across my house 5 years ago, I chose the foundation instead of the attic, just because it's easier to drill the drywall and run the cables.

Now it looks like a correct lucky decision, I might have less chances to make those cables acting as antennae. But animal bites would be the only concern.

Atheros/Qualcomm
D-Link DIR-869 A1 : DD-WRT r43516 std / WAP / Switch
Broadcom
Linksys E4200 v1 : DD-WRT r43516 mega / WAP / Switch
TP-Link Archer C1200 v3.0 : Stock FW / Router / NAT,DHCP,Firewall,Local DNS
Netgear WNDR3700 v2 : DD-WRT r38159 std / WAP / Switch
tdiguy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
All these posts about dlna, clearly you have not seen the awesome that is a good media server like plex / emby Smile
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a feeling emby probably wouldn't be deployable on a router as far as being included in the firmware image due to package size. MiniDLNA is one of several now available, but there have been plenty of others over the years. Personally, I don't think I'd use a router as a media server, but that's just me.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
tdiguy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I have a feeling emby probably wouldn't be deployable on a router as far as being included in the firmware image due to package size. MiniDLNA is one of several now available, but there have been plenty of others over the years. Personally, I don't think I'd use a router as a media server, but that's just me.

That much is true, neither emby or plex is small enough size wise to fit on a router.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: