New Build: 11-21-2019-r41586

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
What else do you have configured? QoS? PBR? Is the ttraf daemon still enabled? It's got to be something in the configuration or the browser used. I just can't see how some people have issues and others don't. All the Marvells should be crapping on themselves if it were in the firmware, I would think, but I dunno.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Sponsor
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've listed my configuration a couple of times in build threads. Most things are left to default. I've cleared the nvvram multiple times using nvram erase and a reboot from the command line to start fresh in new builds, I've also tried upgrading from r40009 without resets. It doesn't matter. I use Firefox to flash.

I start out with all defaults and turn off SFE. I set up cloudflare as DNS but have also used google and my own ISP. I set one roku TV to a static IP and set up an open vpn client for just that TV using the PBR. I only used the vpn during baseball season to defeat a geo-restriction but don't normally use it at all and haven't used it since the regular season ended.

I set up wireless with a basic configuration using mixed on both, channels 36 and 6 respectively. I set wireless security using WPA2 personal and AES on both radios. I set QoS using fq_codel and get good speeds with it. Finally I enable the upnp service option. That's it. Everything works fine except for losing access to the GUI every day. I lose it on multiple devices and multiple browsers.

I've gone back and changed or disabled every single setting I use one at a time to test the GUI loss. Turning off QoS for instance. The only thing that made a difference was disabling both wireless radios. The GUI stayed up for two days then. Otherwise I lose it every day which leads me to believe it may be something in the wireless causing the problem. If I have to turn off wireless, there's no point in even using the router.

I ran openwrt for over a year and never had a problem with it. As I said, I would simply return to that if it was as easy to configure things like the VPN client. I may end up biting the bullet and doing that anyway if I can't figure this out. lol
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I seriously doubt it has anything to do with his configuration; he's been able to experience the httpd loss problem on a stock config with simply wifi enabled.

There's other problems reported in recent times that may or may not be related.

An example is the intermittent service (samba, openvpn) not starting properly after a reboot, or a full hang/freeze requiring another boot attempt after power cycle.

Another is simply saving and/or applying a setting (an actual change might not even be required) to trigger loss of wifi, internet access or a full hang.

There are too many revisions of the 1900 series and 3200 seems less susceptible or frequent for whatever reason (who knows, different wifi chipset, ram configuration, cpu clocks) but it's happening on that model too.
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:

There's other problems reported in recent times that may or may not be related.

Yup, I forgot one problem. I think I mentioned it to you and there was a separate thread started by someone else. That was the router locking up entirely when first setting up wifi security on a clean install. Setting WPA2 and AES then clicking save and apply locked up the router and forced me to reboot.

I believe quite a few problems started after the last linux kernel update and the addition of the new QoS disciplines. Plus BS reducing the build sizes when they were getting too big to flash to partition 2. Those things happened around the same time. I had a bug for some builds where the vpn client would not start unless "apply" was clicked twice. That's been fixed in recent builds.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't use "Mixed" mode or "Auto" channel. The rest of the other things I question could be left for discussion, but Mixed is part of your wireless problem. My personal feelings about uPnP is I don't use it, not because it can be a security issue in any firmware, but because... well it ranks right up there with ttraf. Choke. Cough. Spit. Sputter. Just my thoughts. Take them with a grain of salt.

----------------------
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
You don't use "Mixed" mode or "Auto" channel. The rest of the other things I question could be left for discussion, but Mixed is part of your wireless problem. My personal feelings about uPnP is I don't use it, not because it can be a security issue in any firmware, but because... well it ranks right up there with ttraf. Choke. Cough. Spit. Sputter. Just my thoughts. Take them with a grain of salt.

I actually use AC/N mixed for the 5ghz and NG-mixed for 2.4
I don't set the channels to auto. I pick them manually. I don't have any 5ghz devices and have a couple of neighbors. One uses uses channel 1 and the other 11 for 2.4ghz so I use 6. Ttraf is on by default. You mentioned that once before. I've turned upnp off tho and it doesn't make a difference with losing the GUI. Like i said, the only think that did make a difference was turning off all wireless.

I'm disabling the ttraf daemon and upnp. I also removed the cron job to restart httpd. I'll see if it makes any difference.
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
With ttiaff and upnp turned off, I woke up this morning and accessed the router's GUI via 2.4 wireless with my android tablet. Gui was up. I browsed a bit in the web browser, closed it, restarted it and checked again and the GUI was now inaccessible again. I got up, turned on my windows10 pc and checked and still inaccessible.

Everything still works fine to browse the web. I have good speeds on both devices in speed tests. Wireless appears to be working fine while checking with an android app. I'm typing this right now while the GUI can't be accessed.

The loss of GUI seems to happen most often when I access it with my tablet but not always. That's what makes it so hard to figure out but I learn towards the belief this is something to do with the wireless radios/drivers and the httpd daemon.

While Firefox was in the process of trying to access the GUI, I logged in via telnet. I was getting spinning wheels in the browser at the time. I entered "restart httpd" and the browser instantly connected.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure if you can use the OpenWRT workaround for WRT AC series routers for wi-fi issues. BTW, the webUI is "supposed" to have code for enabling the function to block access over wi-fi in the Wireless Advanced Settings tabs, but it's never worked for me on my E4200v1. I'm wondering if what is broken in that is somehow connected, perhaps. There is no telling, and I really don't feel like downloading the entire repository again to sift through it with any of my coding software. The problem with so much shared generic code.... there is an open ticket on this issue, correct?

----------------------
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I dont know about any openwrt work around. My point was I'm NOT having any wifi issues. Oh, sure a drop once in a while but otherwise wifi works fine. The only issue I have for what I use is the continuing loss of GUI access.

And yes, I have a ticket open for this. A few others have mentioned it in the ticket and more on the forum but no one seems to have any idea what the cause is.

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6873 I've added as much info as I can.
savagepagan
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
For some reason, I can no longer telnet into my 3200acm. It keeps saying incorrect password.
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
savagepagan wrote:
For some reason, I can no longer telnet into my 3200acm. It keeps saying incorrect password.

Are you sure it's the password? You may have changed your login name but to telnet in you have to use "root" as the name. Password should be what you set it to in the browser GUI. root/admin are the default login name and password.
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
This release (and the past several) has ran well for me with no issues. I decided to enable QoS w/cake just for testing. It did improve buffer bloat slightly so I left it enabled.

About 2 hrs later I checked the GUI only to find it was frozen. Reboot fixed the problem. I would venture to say the GUI problems may be related to QoS to some degree. With QoS disabled I have had no issues with this release at all.
mxplea10
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 0:29    Post subject: Samba Services does not start automatically Reply with quote
Since upgrading the Linksys WRT3200ACM from firmware DD-WRT v3.0-r39654 std (04/25/19) to firmware DD-WRT v3.0-r41586 std (11/21/19), the Samba Server will not start automatically. If the power is lost or if the router is rebooted, I must go to Services > NAS > Apply Settings & Save to start the Samba Services. No setting changes have to be made before selecting Apply Settings and Save to start the Samba Services again.

Has anyone else had this issue and is there anything that can be done to fix it?
ellick
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Monza wrote:
This release (and the past several) has ran well for me with no issues. I decided to enable QoS w/cake just for testing. It did improve buffer bloat slightly so I left it enabled.

About 2 hrs later I checked the GUI only to find it was frozen. Reboot fixed the problem. I would venture to say the GUI problems may be related to QoS to some degree. With QoS disabled I have had no issues with this release at all.

I turned QoS off completely as one of my tests and still lost GUI.

I think it's some combination of all the stuff that was done at about the same time. The linux kernel update, the addision of the new QoS disciplines and BS reducing so much code when builds got too big to flash to partition 2.
ttowling
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Radio Scheduling is broken for me on this build.

Both radios stay off, after turning off at the correct time. I need to turn the service off and reboot for radios to restart.

WRT1900ACS V2.
Firefox webflash.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: