USB NAS Drive only getting 17MB/s. Please Help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dradis101
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 16:58    Post subject: USB NAS Drive only getting 17MB/s. Please Help. Reply with quote
I have a Netgear R6400 v1 (Broadcom BCM4708C0 @1000, 256 RAM, 128 Flash) running DD-WRT v.3.0-rr0559 std (08/06/19). Yesterday I added a WD Easystore 10TB USB 3.0 hard drive as a NAS, formatted as EXT3. It is connected to the front USB 3 port, not the rear USB 2 port. I connected to it using Samba from my Mac running MacOS High Sierra, gigabit wired connection. I have had a backup running using rsync since last night from an internal SATA HDD on my Mac. I've only been getting between 13 and 17MB/sec (thats capital B, bytes) write speed to the NAS. Currently it is transferring tons of photos, about 12MB each, but I've watched it get the same speed with larger and as low as 5MB/sec with smaller files. This seems very slow since it is significantly slower than either UBB3, SATA, or gigabit ethernet. Is this normal performance? What can I do to improve this?
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
well NAS speeds are always slow i ve never seen more than 30MB/s and this is fine as this is max 2,4Ghz can handle on R7800, NAS is CPU dependant...as well there is some fine biasing on SAMBA (NAS) on the last builds..either flash a newer build or wait until its sorted...and there is a more decent stable build regarding samba updates...
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
dradis101
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, i'm connected by wired ethernet, so 2.4GHz isnt an issue. I just upgraded to the most recent build (that I know of), but after reading the Peacock post I realize I need to do a hard reset. Hopefully that will help.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, you don't need to do a hard reset on a Broadcom ARM device. IF anything, use the reset to defaults in the webUI or do an nvram erase via ssh or telnet. And you aren't going to get any better performance than you would after resetting, anyway. USB bus is your bottleneck. Your USB drive could be a SCSI 15kRPM with a gigabyte buffer, and it wouldn't mean sh*t. A soho hnd router isn't a PC, and PC USB drive performance ain't all that much better last I checked.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
dradis101
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why would I not want to do a hard reset? According to the Peacock thread, "1. UNLESS YOU HAVE A LINKSYS EA ROUTER, DO A HARD RESET *BEFORE AND AFTER* YOU CHANGE DD-WRT FIRMWARE VERSIONS." Is there a reason my device is an exception to this? (I'm not asking specifically in regards to the USB speed, just in general)

Now, in regards to the USB, why would the USB be the bottleneck when USB 3.0 has a theoretical max speed of 5Gb/s, which is 5x the speed of gigabit ethernet? Also, USB 3.0 HDDs on a computer perform around 200MB/s. I certainly don't expect to get that but only getting 8% of that seems extreme. I've seen others claim to get between 60 MB/s using USB drives attached to the router. That seems much more reasonable.

Is the SOC in my router just a slow performing one?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Peacock thread is a little old and incomplete. I've always been told not to do a 30-30-30 on a Broadcom ARM or any other router besides Broadcom MIPS because it may brick. But, do as you please.

A consumer-grade soho router isn't a PC, server, or any kind of consumer or commercial grade NAS. Are those faster numbers using ext* fs formatted USB 3.0 10TB hard drives? Is rsync really that fast? Not to mention, your Mac's internal HD is only a 5400 rpm drive, most likely. There are several factors at play here. One of the main ones is this firmware, and you're using 40559. Let me guess. Router database. Definitely before some of the more recent improvements, but I still don't know if it's going to make WOW changes in performance. Especially on a drive that size. I don't care what the drive's hardware power is.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is why I do not use a router's USB ports regardless if its USB 3.0 or the older 2.0 ports. The CPU and RAM that NAS requires is never going to be that fast on a small system as a consumer router. Unless you use the X64 build and use the SATA port on a thinclient or a fast dual core desktop computer. Forget ever breaking the 20mb a second transfers on router hardware. Now on my Q6600 system with 8GB ram running DD-WRT has about 60mb to 120Mb a second transfers using a SATA 3.0Gbps ports. Using what they call junk realtek Gigabit card in a pci-e 1x and the onboard gigabit realtek ethernet controller. Those routers with those USB ports were never meant to be very fast. They just had to work to keep the consumers happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: