Did purchased reubished WRT32x? READ THIS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
weaklinks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:15    Post subject: Did purchased reubished WRT32x? READ THIS Reply with quote
Hello,
I felt compelled to inform the people who purchased a refurbished linksys WRT32x router either direct or not direct from Linksys. In most cases its just someone who is reselling them from linksys.

The first router I purchases came out of the box not working. It would not get a DHCP address and no wireless showed up. I tried everything even with linksys support it came bricked.
I returned it online on amazon and got a new one.

Second router came semi-bricked after dealing with support and online with linksys even by phone I got it replaced. Noticed someone bricked it because it had traces of DDWRT on it.

Third router everything worked but it had an older firmware on it from Linksys thought to myself ok let me bring it to the latest Linksys firmware version (it was just one version behind) (also noticed time/date would not stick) the router would brick and did the power button on/off 3 times and came back.

Ok so this one I really spent a lot time with and noticed many people on here having the same errors as me. I posted a few times. This is where someone with not extensive knowledge I ended up fully bricking it with just one mistake. I did notice that it had already another firmware from another site. I forgot the name. Before I fully bricked it, it worked fine but I wanted DDWRT or the latest version on linksys website. I tried everything with it and decided to just return it to linksys. (did the fast replacement) took 3 weeks.

Router #4 (purchased brand new)I know I'm scum but I had to know. The new router came as my other one it was just one firmware version old. I updated the firmware and installed DDWART in 10 mins the full version too everything worked fine little DDART issues with wireless but nothing to the extent that had with the other 3. So i restored it from instructions on here and returned it to the store.
sorry X-mas is coming 450 bucks for this older router goes a long way on XMAS gifts for my kids.

Router #5 Ok here we go... It came not working I just like the first one. no DHCP nothing I was about to just say F-Linksys reburb stuff its crap. So I tried the 3 times power button and it came back. Ok i thought maybe this is normal first time for the refurbished routers. So I logged in and it had the latest firmware played around with it a bit on the stock firmware. What i meant by played around is just use the standard gui and setup the settings I wanted.
So i tried the lastest firmware and even upgraded to the recent version all is working.

Bottom-line if you are just doing a firmware upgrade or even upgrading to DDWRT and having such huge problems, look at if the device as if someone tried
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Holy shit. Well, router #5 failed to boot into one partition and then you forced a boot into the working alternate. From there you upgraded the firmware which overwrote the failed paritition. Each time you upgrade from GUI it overwrites the opposite inactive partition, so you should be good to go now.
ttowling
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Holy shit. Well, router #5 failed to boot into one partition and then you forced a boot into the working alternate. From there you upgraded the firmware which overwrote the failed paritition. Each time you upgrade from GUI it overwrites the opposite inactive partition, so you should be good to go now.

Seriously.. not sure what to make of this post but at #2 I'd have just said 'fuck it' and given up.

Don't judge me.
HJBCT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's bad luck!

I bought 2 reconditioned WRT32X in last month - both flashed. Working very well!
tsfuller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bought the refurb on Amazon. Luckily, it has withstood all of my flashes, ddwrt, openwrt and stock. Cracked it open to flash stock using TTL and it worked without issue. Maybe I got lucky.
atiza
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought a refurb through amazon and it has DD WRT on both partitions. I cannot for the life of me get stock firmware back on any partition. Can anyone help? im using the DD WRT GUI to try and flash the stock Linksey firmware
tsfuller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
atiza wrote:
I bought a refurb through amazon and it has DD WRT on both partitions. I cannot for the life of me get stock firmware back on any partition. Can anyone help? im using the DD WRT GUI to try and flash the stock Linksey firmware

Atiza - you can not flash the stock image from DDWRT webui. There are two methods to get back to stock. You can flash using a serial/TTL cable, this requires you to open your router to connect the cable and interrupt the boot process or you can flash via SSH/TELNET. In addition, you can not flash the stock image, you need a special flat file.

If you don't have the cable use the SSH/TELNET method.

spuriousoffspring posted a summary of what to do here: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1135862#1135862

blkt posted the correct flat file here: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1158363#1158363

Flat file attached.

Quick summary of what your doing:

1. Enable SSH or TELNET Service in DDWRT
2. Connect to router via terminal
3. Copy Flat file over to router using your favorite SCP tool (winscp works great for this). Store it in /tmp folder on router
4. in terminal - cat /proc/mtd (making sure your two partitions are labeled linux and linux2. If not just remember what they are called)
5. in terminal - erase nvram
6. in terminal - mtd -e linux write /tmp/flat-FW_WRT32X_1.0.180404.58.img linux
7. in terminal - mtd -e linux2 -r write /tmp/flat-FW_WRT32X_1.0.180404.58.img linux2
8. wait for router to reboot
9. wonder how you missed all of this info on the forums!
atiza
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks my man. This fixed it. I only did the one partition so I have set on 2 and stock on 1. Is that flat stock image ok to run full time or does it need updating or anything?
tsfuller wrote:
atiza wrote:

Atiza - you can not flash the stock image from DDWRT webui. There are two methods to get back to stock. You can flash using a serial/TTL cable, this requires you to open your router to connect the cable and interrupt the boot process or you can flash via SSH/TELNET. In addition, you can not flash the stock image, you need a special flat file.

spuriousoffspring posted a summary of what to do here: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1135862#1135862

blkt posted the correct flat file here: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1158363#1158363

Flat file attached.

3. Copy Flat file over to router using your favorite SCP tool (winscp works great for this). Store it in /tmp folder on router
4. in terminal - cat /proc/mtd (making sure your two partitions are labeled linux and linux2. If not just remember what they are called)
7. in terminal - mtd -e linux2 -r write /tmp/flat-FW_WRT32X_1.0.180404.58.img linux2
tsfuller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sweet. Glad it all worked out. From what i can tell running the flat file full time is ok. Someone on here with a ton more experience may know better. It looks to be the same firmware that’s available on Linksys’s support site.

atiza wrote:
Thanks my man. This fixed it. I only did the one partition so I have set on 2 and stock on 1. Is that flat stock image ok to run full time or does it need updating or anything?
tsfuller wrote:
atiza wrote:

Flat file attached.

blkt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's the latest/last build available from Linksys, just properly converted into a flat file for serial flash (u-boot environment and TFTP) or that risky SSH command line option (one mistake and you are toast without a USB to TTL serial cable).
tsfuller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I learned the hard way. I now have 3 of those cables.

blkt wrote:
It's the latest/last build available from Linksys, just properly converted into a flat file for use serial flash (u-boot environment and TFTP) or that risky SSH command line option (one mistake and you are toast without a serial cable).
blkt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I usually recommend the Adafruit 954 cable and a 2.54mm to 2.0mm pitch adapter to make life a little easier (never use the 5V red line).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: