Can't install IPK files?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
leprshaun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 0:33    Post subject: Can't install IPK files? Reply with quote
Hi, Yes I'm fairly new but here is whats going on.

Router: Linksys E2500v3 sucessfully flashed to Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r33772 mega (11/16/17)

I have enabled SSH in the GUI and can successfully access terminal with Putty

When I try to run IPKG commands (in this case to install EasyTether IPK) nothing happens. No output is displayed and simply a new blank command line comes up.

I read about enabling JFFS but I see no option to do this in the places normally referenced. I believe I enabled it using the commands given at https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Journalling_Flash_File_System.

I read that if there is not an option to enable JFFS its because you lack enough system memory but from what I can see I have like 58mb of available memory.

What I am TRYING to do is run a program called EasyTether on this router to tether my phone to the router and braodcast its signal to multiple devices (native tethering is not an option).

I have sucessfully installed it on a OpenWRT router following THIS GUIDE https://docs.gl-inet.com/en/2/app/tether/

However, when trying to install and use with DDWRT I am hitting this wall where ipkg install filename does nothing, even though I have added the IPKG file to the routers file-system with WinSCP and am naming it correctly in the terminal.

Come to think of it none of the IPKG commands output anything, they simply return a blank new command line?? On my successful install using OpenWRT I used opkg instead of ipkg, does that matter? Both are just package managers or something right?

I hope this makes sense. I am so frustrated as I've been trying for hours to trouble shoot this.

CPU

CPU Model
Broadcom BCM5357 chip rev 2

CPU Cores

CPU Features
MIPS32r1 MIPS32r2 MIPS16 DSP DSP2

CPU Clock
300 MHz

Memory

Total Available
89%
58236 kB / 65536 kB
Free
68%
39764 kB / 58236 kB
Used
32%
18472 kB / 58236 kB
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
It won't matter. The necessary kernel modules aren't present. You would have to load them the same way. Not sure if ipkg even works correctly on that build, let alone jffs. Good luck, but pretty sure you'll wind up having the fun of flashing it back to stock.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
leprshaun
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
It won't matter. The necessary kernel modules aren't present. You would have to load them the same way. Not sure if ipkg even works correctly on that build, let alone jffs. Good luck, but pretty sure you'll wind up having the fun of flashing it back to stock.

Thank you for the reply, friend.

I picked up the router for 5 bucks so I'm not too worried if I cant get it back to stock. I know this isn't the right forum but do you know if I flash an OpenWrt firmware if I would be able to follow that guide I referenced and get Easy Tether working on this router?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
leprshaun wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:

Thank you for the reply, friend.

I picked up the router for 5 bucks so I'm not too worried if I cant get it back to stock. I know this isn't the right forum but do you know if I flash an OpenWrt firmware if I would be able to follow that guide I referenced and get Easy Tether working on this router?

You might be able to, but not sure how well the wireless 2.4 radio works on OpenWRT. I am pretty sure 5GHz band will not work on OpenWRT whatsoever. But, I do believe ipkg works on OpenWRT and the required modules are available to install manually, at least. Only DD-WRT routers I know of that can usb tether with Android out of the box, so to speak, run a 4.x kernel, I just haven't messed with setting it up in the R7kP.

I have a couple of E2500v3s, one that I bought new as a backup that is still on stock firmware, and one that is for FreshTomato testing and development. I didn't add them to my signature when I decided to add one.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: